Opinion Best PAFC goal ever

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The marks thread has been so enjoyable, especially the inputs from those with much longer memories than mine.

So I thought this next trip down memory lane would be worthwhile.

For me it's an easy choice as my hero sealed a massive game against the old enemy.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I remember Roger James kicking a torp on the quarter time siren as one of my faves. Che cockatoo Collins goal on the boundary when he closed his eyes before kicking and my all time favourite was when I was at Norwood oval and Scott Hodges dribbled a goal through on a shitty wet oval on the siren to win. I loved seeing all of the Norwood supporters being so upset including my mates as I was celebrating. Hate those campaigners

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The atmosphere at that 04 prelim was like nothing I've ever experienced before or since. The tension built up from 3 years of disappointment - the now or never pressure. I arrived probably an hour before the game and the atmosphere was already so electric. Then the horror start when Roger James was the only who could get his hands on the ball, the ground invasion and reset, clawing our way back into the game, Gav's last quarter heroics, Wilbur's brick wall, and then clinging on in the dying minutes - capped off with Burgoyne's match saving smother. 3 hours of absolute unrelenting intensity

One that probably won't get mentioned, Dave Granger v Glenelg at Glenelg round 11, 1981.

Bays were unbeaten to that point of the season and lead by 29 points at quarter time, 4.6 to 0.1. Dave kicked a torp with a heavy ball from the wing straight through the middle for our first goal early in the second quarter. Port kicked another 5 for the quarter and went onto win by 21 points.

Might not be the greatest goal ever but it will never be forgotten. it broke the Bays that year.

Dave had also been reported by 3 umpires the week before and was cleared in a long tribunal hearing during the week.

That was also the game with the famous picture of Dave pointing and laughing at Peter Carey.

iu

Beyond the usual staples showcased in this thread, Wingard’s goal to break Freo’s back deep into the final quarter of the 2014 Semi is right up there.

IYKYK.
Very good nom, was a wonderful second effort before the goal.

The atmosphere at that 04 prelim was like nothing I've ever experienced before or since. The tension built up from 3 years of disappointment - the now or never pressure. I arrived probably an hour before the game and the atmosphere was already so electric. Then the horror start when Roger James was the only who could get his hands on the ball, the ground invasion and reset, clawing our way back into the game, Gav's last quarter heroics, Wilbur's brick wall, and then clinging on in the dying minutes - capped off with Burgoyne's match saving smother. 3 hours of absolute unrelenting intensity
I aged 10 years that night, but it was a privilege to be there. The sheer elation when the final siren sounded was like nothing I've ever experienced before or since.

But can I also register a vote for Paul Stewart's winner against North in 2012? My Mum had died the previous Monday, and when the siren sounded seconds later, one of the guys next to me hugged me and said, "Mate - this one is for your Mum!!!" It wasn't the best goal ever, but for me, it was definitely the most sentimental!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back