Stop the boats. 5k a head. (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a number of factors that have made multiculturalism work in Australia, across all groups regardless of origin, but the most important is probably this.

Kids need to go to school with kids from other cultures.

Quite a few in the fifties, many of our friends and our family was amongst them. Anything else?

Yes and in a lot cases the men came first, worked for a few years got some money saved then brought out there family. People have short memories or have no idea.

Australia accepted economic migrants arriving with no ID by boat in the 50's from the middle east?
If you keep going, you MAY, eventual get the answer you are looking for.

Why don't just just come out and say you hate Muslims?

You really are a strange one, don't you work in some human services/welfare related occupation? If so your lack of understanding and empathy is outstanding.

Last edited:
Yes and in a lot cases the men came first, worked for a few years got some money saved then brought out there family. People have short memories or have no idea.
Some people have no idea of early immigration nor that some refugees came from small villages where there were no government offices that registered marriages and births. Records did not exist therefore may legitimately not have any documentation. My parents came from a very small village and they couldn't recall having a marriage certificate.

Further escaping in fear of your life, gabbing any papers of note would not be the first thing on your mind.

Of course given the importance by some on here, it would have to be before the wife and children.

Last edited:
To be fair, documentation is a fairly recent development.

Please re-commence "we decide who comes and the circumstances in which they come" vs "anyone who wants to come here should be able to, and by whatever means they can afford".

To be fair, documentation is a fairly recent development.

Please re-commence "we decide who comes and the circumstances in which they come" vs "anyone who wants to come here should be able to, and by whatever means they can afford".
True, I wonder how many Vietnamese had documentation?

I don't have a problem with: "we decide who comes and the circumstances in which they come" as long as it is objective.

Ok, but I would suggest the "circumstances in which they come" should be "never, ever in a leaky, unseaworthy boat, with no exceptions".

After that we still need to do better.

You really are a strange one, don't you work in some human services/welfare related occupation? If so your lack of understand and empathy is outstanding.

Nope. I do what I can within my circle of influence to improve indigenous employment opportunities through the establishment of certain cross agency/private sector programs.

And your "empathy" is misplaced. Allowing open slather for economic migrants would just make more people poorer when the influx of uneducated people arrive here with no jobs or prospects and through weight of numbers cause our societies systems to fall over. Its more humane for us to stay economically strong so that our technology and aid can continue to support global societies in need.

Those 12,000 Syrians for example. Cost 17,000 each just for getting them here - have you thought what the opportunity cost of doing that might be? How many people could have been fed clothed and sheltered in Syria with the near on $1b?

Last edited:
I am saying we should face up to reality. The assimilation arguments fails horrendously re Muslim immigration in to the west. Muslim youths are LESS assimilated than their parents. This is backed up by poll after poll

Why deny reality?

Why do something you know wont work?

Meanwhile...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ildren-crossing-from-syria-into-a6864936.html

Err, the ABC admitted their error did they not?
What is your 'evidence' for saying Muslim immigration fails horrendously? What polls are you talking about? Suspect its poverty and lack of connection that is as much where the problems lie.
I don't think I am convinced it doesn't work - I know plenty of muslims I would describe as assimilated. Considering how many muslims there are in the west, I'd say the ratio of nutjob to those who have settled in well is pretty good.
This may just be a glitch in the history of relations bw east and west. Am prepared to give it more time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's all very nice but a successful refugee policy means identifying who are genuine refugees and who are economic migrants or potential security theats. Under the policies of Rudd/Gillard there were so many uncontrolled entries that this process broke down.

A successful immigration policy also means identifying which ethnic groups assimilate well into our society and which do not. In addition government policies under the guise of "multiculturalism" that discourage integration should be scrapped.
Yep, not sure I agree with you about the definition of a successful immigration policy-sounds a bit odd to me. Don't really have a problem with economic migrants myself. That is what Medsy is after all and he's all right? ;)

Nope. I do what I can within my circle of influence to improve indigenous employment opportunities through the establishment of certain cross agency/private sector programs.

And your "empathy" is misplaced. Allowing open slather for economic migrants would just make more people poorer when the influx of uneducated people arrive here with no jobs or prospects and through weight of numbers cause our societies systems to fall over. Its more humane for us to stay economically strong so that our technology and aid can continue to support global societies in need.

Those 12,000 Syrians for example. Cost 17,000 each just for getting them here - have you thought what the opportunity cost of doing that might be? How many people could have been fed clothed and sheltered in Syria with the near on $1b?

If you're an economic migrant, you have money so you should get employment.

You might have to have a walk around construction sites in Sydney or Melbourne, the Arabs and the Chinese, Koreans are the new Italians and Greeks. They do all the hard slog work. Lots of the Chinese brought in 457 visa working for peanuts, they're pinching Australian jobs at a far greater rate than a few boat people, probably the same in the mines, spare me the lecture on being economically strong Howard, Costello saw to the middle class welfare.

Is that while the fighting rages on and with no prospects for peace, or while they are trying to avoid poverty and starvation, or while they are looking for shelter, or while they are missing school for a long time, or while the international aid is not nearly enough to make much of a difference.
What's the billion? Are you reading Bolt-give it a spell-he is so desperate it ain't funny,;)

Well I can imagine you are great at your job when you use terms like 'uneducated'!

Yet to see a number on how many Australians ancestors were not economic migrants!

You have a hate for Muslims and all middle eastern people, no point in discussing refugees with you.

Another example of incentives and unintended consequences influencing human behaviour.

One could surmise that if the government softens their stance and #letthemstay, self harm in immigration detention will spike again.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...n/news-story/98df1c069cd66bd677d17639018b4661

The number of asylum-seekers on Nauru harming themselves plummeted to zero three months after Immigration Minister Peter Dutton stopped family members from being allowed to travel to Australia to accompany a sick or injured person.

Concerns grew within the government last year that the high level of self-harm on Nauru might be linked to asylum-seekers seeking a flight to Australia for medical treatment and the opportunity for all family members to appeal for refugee status or residency.

There were also departmental concerns that children on Nauru might have been copying adults performing self-harm or being injured as part of an attempt to get to Australia.

Late last year, Mr Dutton instructed the Immigration Department to bring only the person needing medical treatment to Australia, not the whole family, unless there were “extenuating circumstances”.

In January last year, there were 15 threats of self-harm by asylum-seekers on Nauru and 14 self-inflicted injuries and in May there were seven threats and eight incidents of self-harm, representing 2.4 per cent of the asylum-seeker population.

But in October, the month after the new policy, there were only one threat and seven self-inflicted injuries.

By the following month, this had dropped to two threats and two incidents of self-harm.

In December, there was only one threat of self-harm and no self-inflicted injuries.

The Immigration Minister said this week the bulk of the 267 people who came to Australia from Nauru in connection with medical treatment were family members who did not require treatment.

What is your 'evidence' for saying Muslim immigration fails horrendously? What polls are you talking about? Suspect its poverty and lack of connection that is as much where the problems lie.

Posted over and over again on various threads, below is just one. Its stuff all to do with poverty, that's just pathetic apologist crap. One of the major reasons in the UK supposedly is the takeover of a large % of mosques by a hardcore element financed directly or indirectly by Saudis. Blair being the turd he is turned a blind eye to it despite the French repeatedly telling him of the problem because up until the Iraq war they were extremely solid labour voters (and are now again - hence numerous pack rape crimes being covered up as per Rotherham)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...ls-40pc-of-Muslims-want-sharia-law-in-UK.html

Gee The Australian is so lucky to have this news.

Well the Australian has a reputation for quality journalism, unlike the laughable ABC which has been caught out AGAIN churning out propaganda based as facts

I don't know what is worse, their claims to be unbiased or people who actually believe those claims.

Yep, not sure I agree with you about the definition of a successful immigration policy-sounds a bit odd to me

What is odd about having an immigration policy that actually BENEFITS Australia?

Probably none given the current rate at which they are being starved & bombed by the US inspired ISIS, Russia & al-Asaad's butcher boys. The poor buggers are stuck between all of those bastards.

Thats why they left in the first place, capishe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back