The major parties versus social media

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Let’s get one thing straight… politicians (particularly the major parties) despise social media.

Part of their traditional business model is having quasi-control over the corporate media through cost relationships and deals, which allows them to impact what gets reported and how.

The LNP are the most shameless with their media department (NewsCorp), but Labour engage in it too.

Being one of the first (democratic) countries on earth to attempt that horrific news bargaining code just shows how obsessed Australian politicians are with the issue. Never mind the threats by social media to leave Australia - that’s exactly what they want!

I see Albo is now engaging in this type of shit under the oh-so-honourable cover of “anti-bullying”. Politicians LOVE pulling out this anti-bullying message as a stick to belt social media with.i get it’s real and greater measures are required - greater parental supervision and visibility, mostly - but I just cannot trust any major party politician on any social media issue. Their aim is to weaken and kill democratised information sharing.

Interesting that one major politician did the opposite… Dan Andrews. He did a lot through social media in a strategy of talking directly to people and cutting out the traditional media. They hated him for it, but it worked. There were plenty of attacks about how he has a massive staff managing social media.

As opposed to what? Maintaining corrupt pal-ly relationships with media giants behind closed doors?

Why don’t more politicians go with the Andrews strategy, given its success? Do they not have the stomach for three years of relentless hate and attacks, only to be vindicated at the ballot box? Sounds cowardly but can’t say I don’t understand that, it would be horrible. We’ve never seen a sustained media attack in this country like the one Andrews endured. It was grotesque.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back