Pre-Season 2015/16

Remove this Banner Ad

We're now in that weird position where, we have very good mids that will be pushed out, but we don't have good enough mids to take on the best teams. Like I said, weird.
Agreed, it's going to be hard to fit all of Armo, Steven, Weller, Dunstan, Ross and Acres into one side. Especially with the likes of Billings and Sinclair expected to spend time through the guts also.

I'll have a crack at it, joop is right, it's very hard. Barring injuries there will likely be some unlucky ones, but no doubt we'll pick up a few niggles though.

Dempster - Goddard - Webster
Savage - Fisher - Newnes
Gilbert - Armitage - Montagna
Billings - Bruce - Riewoldt
Lonie - McCartin - Sinclair
Longer - Ross - Steven
Int: Dunstan, Acres, Hickey, Roberton

Emg: Weller, Geary, Lee

I also expect see Freeman, Gresham, Eli and White play a fair bit of senior footy this year. They will all fit into the side nicely as they bring something completely different to the rest of our midfield group

Last edited:
I'll have a crack at it, joop is right, it's very hard. Barring injuries there will likely be some unlucky ones, but no doubt we'll pick up a few niggles though.

Savage - Fisher - Newnes
Longer - Ross - Steven

I also expect see Freeman, Gresham, Eli and White play a fair bit of senior footy this year. They will all fit into the side nicely as they bring something completely different to the rest of our midfield group

I reckon Whitey will struggle to even get a look in with that lot in front of him. Gresham is showing enough to look ready - I just can see guys like NOK or White getting a look in. Unless they can kind of sit them forward and they score heavily and defend. We are getting in some very good kids now though.

Agreed, it's going to be hard to fit all of Armo, Steven, Weller, Dunstan, Ross and Acres into one side. Especially with the likes of Billings and Sinclair expected to spend time through the guts also.
I don't think you can include Weller in that group. He's been a tagger or defensive forward since coming here.

Savage - Fisher - Newnes
Longer - Ross - Steven

No question in my mind that Weller plays.

On a different note, I was pleasantly surprised by how good the new hot cross bun looked in the flesh.

image.jpeg

Savage - Fisher - Newnes
Longer - Ross - Steven

See told you it's tough, no way Weller misses out!

Maybe;

~~~~~~~~~~~ FIRSTS ~~~~~~~~~~~

FB: Dempster - Fisher - Geary
HB: Savage - Lee - Roberton
RK: Longer - Armitage - Steven
CR: Newnes - Ross - Billings
HF: Sinclair - Riewoldt - Weller
FF: Hickey - Bruce - Lonie
IC: Montagna Gilbert Acres Dunstan
EM: Gresham Templeton Webster*

* I really don't want to leave out JWebb.

~~~~~~~~~~ MAGOOS ~~~~~~~~~~

FB: Wright - Delaney - Coughlan
HB: Webster - Goddard - White
RK: Holmes - Minchington - Freeman
CR: Templeton - Curren - McKenzie
HF: Gresham - Membrey - O'Kearney
FF: Payne - McCartin - Shenton
IC: Saunders Murdoch Pierce
EM: Rice (ill)

Geez, it's tough! :D

Last edited:
No question in my mind that Weller plays.

On a different note, I was pleasantly surprised by how good the new hot cross bun looked in the flesh.

View attachment 215263
Looks fantastic!

I've never experienced the hot cross bun jumper, so it's great to have a modern version, think it will look great against the blue & white stripes :thumbsu:

He may not ultimately stay on the list, but bugger me TC is clearly doing everything possible to push himself forward. Must be an absolutely manic trainer.

Geez he's in absolutely ripping nick...

image.jpeg

Yeah, TC was very good yesterday. Far too big a queue in front of him now though unless he does something extraordinary.

We're now in that weird position where, we have very good mids that will be pushed out, but we don't have good enough mids to take on the best teams. Like I said, weird.
It's going to be really interesting to see how/if they fit in all of Armo, Steven, Gilbo, Dunstan, Ross, Acres and Freeman, not to mention Joey, Roo, Newnes, Mav and Gresham- if they're all fit and available- all of whom are probably good enough to be in the team this year.

The biggest selection conundrums we've had in years, which tells me we're no longer likely to be an "easy-beat".

Last year we got pretty much full seasons out of Lonie and Sinclair, and Goddard, Paddy and D-Mac also played at least 6 games each, whereas this year- unless we have a lot of injuries- I reckon we won't get anywhere near as many games out of last year's draft class (and none of them are going to be 18 or 19yo and playing key position, like Hugh and Paddy were last year), so all the signs are pointing to us being a much more competitive side and one that will be "gifting" a lot less games to young ones than we have in the past couple of years.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have a long list of pretty good/promising players but few with real star quality. Will be interesting to see how the next year or two go and might have to be some aggressive moves at the trade table.

We have a long list of pretty good/promising players but few with real star quality. Will be interesting to see how the next year or two go and might have to be some aggressive moves at the trade table.
Something similar ("no A-graders") kept on being said about the Collingwood team up until even early in the 2010 season, then all of a sudden by the end of that year they had about 4 or 5 of them and had won a flag!

Not suggesting that we're going to win this year's flag by any means, but the point is that sometimes the talent is there but just takes a while for it all to click and fall into place and then you realise you had it there all along. Not everyone that ends up being damn good is a Jesse Hogan/Patrick Cripps/Chris Judd/Joel Selwood and smashes it right from the get-go.

Last edited:
Something similar ("no A-graders") kept on being said about the Collingwood team up until even early in the 2010 season, then all of a sudden by the end of that year they had about 4 or 5 of them and had won a flag!

Not suggesting that we're going to win this year's flag by any means, but the point is that sometimes the talent is there but just takes a while for it all to click and fall into place and then you realise you had it there all along. Not everyone is a Jesse Hogan/Patrick Cripps/Chris Judd/Joel Selwood and smashes it right from the get-go.

Sure hope you're right. Seb Ross is a great size and he's one that should really break out this year.

Maybe;

~~~~~~~~~~~ FIRSTS ~~~~~~~~~~~

FB: Dempster - Fisher - Geary
HB: Savage - Lee - Roberton
RK: Longer - Armitage - Steven
CR: Newnes - Ross - Billings
HF: Sinclair - Riewoldt - Weller
FF: Hickey - Bruce - Lonie
IC: Montagna Ross Acres Dunstan
EM: Gresham Templeton Webster* Gilbert*

* I really don't want to leave out JWebb or Gilbert

~~~~~~~~~~ MAGOOS ~~~~~~~~~~

FB: Wright - Delaney - Coughlan
HB: Webster - Goddard - White
RK: Holmes - Minchington - Freeman
CR: Templeton - Curren - McKenzie
HF: Gilbert - Membrey - Gresham
FF: Payne - McCartin - Shenton
IC: O'Kearney Saunders Murdoch Pierce
EM: Rice (ill)

Geez, it's tough! :D
Can't fault your judgement but you've got Ross twice this time. ;)

Sure hope you're right. Seb Ross is a great size and he's one that should really break out this year.
Just look at Josh Bruce last year. Not even us in our wildest dreams predicted that he would start kicking bags of goals and end up with 50 for the year, after having been as high as 2nd in the Coleman a fair chunk of the way through the season.

Hey fellas,

Is anyone willing to stream the game online next weekend?
Plenty of outside streaming sites on the net if you Google the event you're after close to it's date.
They streamed all the games when I was overseas last year.

Its on fox isnt it?
Don't have Foxtel unfortunately.

Was thinking about using a proxy to get the digital subscription as I think it only works for international members.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back