Play Nice GWS set to lose the Riverina (including Albury) from their Academy Zone

Remove this Banner Ad

Its supposed to be a national comp .... sharing the travel more equally is not hard ..... its not as if home & away is a reality these days.

Nah. Totally disagree. Anyways it's not the thread topic.

Seems like the AFL has jumped the shark with GWS. After the weekend more priority picks and zones for GWS...

Perhaps they can lobby the AFL to circumvent the space/time continuum and relocate Perth to Bendigo? That way would only be a 90 minute drive down the highway instead of a 4 hour plane ride when they have to play in Melbourne.

Maybe they could use the same technology that allows Etihad to magically move around various Melbourne suburbs. ;)

On a slightly more serious note. Has anyone worked out what they're going to do with the kids who now can't play in the under 18 carnival?

Seems a bit stupid to stop good young kids from showing their wears at a national carnival where all the recruiters are going to be.

Get the AFL to give you blocks of 4 games in Melbourne, then you can do less travel.
Brilliant. 4 weeks away from family and kids, living in a hotel. No way that could cause any mental burn-out.

On a slightly more serious note. Has anyone worked out what they're going to do with the kids who now can't play in the under 18 carnival?

Seems a bit stupid to stop good young kids from showing their wears at a national carnival where all the recruiters are going to be.
Didn't Albury's Charlie Spargo line up for the GWS academy yesterday in the Div II National Championships?

Didn't Albury's Charlie Spargo line up for the GWS academy yesterday in the Div II National Championships?

That's this year on very short notice and a great deal of confusion.

What about next year, or even later in this tournament.

We'll be playing an ineligible player.

Kids in Albury should be allowed to play in the national championships.

Just whingeing for whingeings sake.

That is what this thread and the majority of posts on this board are. typically led by vics as well.

No it's a typical realist comment. Only a fool would complain about having to play 10 of their 11 away games interstate when they are located in a 2 team state.

Throwing an equal comp into the 'too hard' basket when it suits you.

I wonder why that would be?

They'll probably play for Vic Country which is a ridiculous situation.

And they can. If they are good enough, they will be chosen to represent the Allies in the Division 1 National Championships. All players from NSW, ACT, QLD, TAS and NT are eligible to represent the Allies. The onus is on them to prove why they should be a part of the Allies squad through their club football. I'm sure we'll see some TAC Cup players from the Riverina being chosen to represent the Allies, despite not competing in the Div 2 National Championships earlier in the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is what this thread and the majority of posts on this board are. typically led by vics as well.

Throwing an equal comp into the 'too hard' basket when it suits you.

I wonder why that would be?

11 home and 11 away games for each club is equal. Complaining that you have to travel to play away games when you reside in a state with only one other team is sheer idiocy. No one will take you seriously if you keep towing that line.

Come up with an idea then.
Or, you know, do things exactly how it is now.

The burn out from the Aussie cricketers must be bad about now hey?

My solution is to play more games in both SA & WA where demand exceeds supply - start with games currently scheduled in Melbourne that don't pull a crowd, don't break even, e.g the North v Eagles game last weekend, where the AFL will pick up the loss.

Start with say 1 game a year as an AFL FIXture, not someone 'one of' sale of a game.
IF you look at the North game, you could provide their WA membership FREE entry to the game, Eagles members would not be entitled to a seat as its Norths home game, and the WA footy public who battle to get to a game would effectively pay at the gate, North would make a profit not a loss, 35k+ fans get to a game, not 22k who have access to another 13 games in Melbourne.

YES, the home game argument would be run, given that North play 2 x home games in Tas (complete with make up games for the members) & an away game v the Hawks also in Tas. Reality home games are about making money, that's why Melbourne clubs move them now - its up to the AFL to fo FIX, & fix they do.

Its doable.

My solution is to play more games in both SA & WA where demand exceeds supply - start with games currently scheduled in Melbourne that don't pull a crowd, don't break even, e.g the North v Eagles game last weekend, where the AFL will pick up the loss.

Start with say 1 game a year as an AFL FIXture, not someone 'one of' sale of a game.
IF you look at the North game, you could provide their WA membership FREE entry to the game, Eagles members would not be entitled to a seat as its Norths home game, and the WA footy public who battle to get to a game would effectively pay at the gate, North would make a profit not a loss, 35k+ fans get to a game, not 22k who have access to another 13 games in Melbourne.

YES, the home game argument would be run, given that North play 2 x home games in Tas (complete with make up games for the members) & an away game v the Hawks also in Tas. Reality home games are about making money, that's why Melbourne clubs move them now - its up to the AFL to fo FIX, & fix they do.

Its doable.

AFL ruled more than ten years ago that Vic clubs wouldn't be allowed to sell games to SA or WA clubs. This wouldn't make the FIXture fair.

The solution is two new teams, one each in SA & WA. Hope that happens soon.

Its doable.
You would need the clubs to agree to this, but yes it is doable.
It still doesn't solve the problem though.
Who are you going to send to Brisbane, to get less crowds than they do now, or doesn't it matter that they travel more than you do?

Its doable.

Lol yeah so Eagles get 12 home games and North gets 10 sound legit :rolleyes:

Allies are chosen on their div 2 performance. The Div 2 tournament is the selection trials for Div 1. You gotta play to play.
That's not my understanding. I was under the impression that Riverina players who will be ineligible to play in the Academy Series can still be selected for the Allies in the Div 1 competition. Do you have any source to back up your theory?

You would need the clubs to agree to this, but yes it is doable.
It still doesn't solve the problem though.
Who are you going to send to Brisbane, to get less crowds than they do now, or doesn't it matter that they travel more than you do?

It is a step on the road to sharing the travel & meeting the demand in both WA & SA, and the excess supply in Melbourne.

Not sure why you raise Brisbane, you must have read something in to my post that is not there. Remember WA & SA are AFL heartland, the developing States need their own settings & I'd suggest maintaining the current settings.

Lol yeah so Eagles get 12 home games and North gets 10 sound legit :rolleyes:

Having trouble with the Hawks home games in Tas & Melbourne, Geelong in Melbourne & Geelong, Melbourne at the G/Etihad & Darwin, Bullies looking to play home games in Ballarat, Port v the Suns in China - the game has moved on D'As.
How many games do North play at Etihad, some are home, some are away - its only about money, legit is an example of hanging on to long gone State league concepts.

AFL ruled more than ten years ago that Vic clubs wouldn't be allowed to sell games to SA or WA clubs. This wouldn't make the FIXture fair.

The solution is two new teams, one each in SA & WA. Hope that happens soon.

Fair you say, fair for who ? You?
Two new teams made up of 80 rejects from the last draft - why would you want to reduce the standard of AFL footy - the guys you want playing footy at the highest level were considered not up to it only a couple of months back.
No more teams pls.

It is a step on the road to sharing the travel & meeting the demand in both WA & SA, and the excess supply in Melbourne.

Not sure why you raise Brisbane, you must have read something in to my post that is not there. Remember WA & SA are AFL heartland, the developing States need their own settings & I'd suggest maintaining the current settings.
Well if you want to be fair about this, you can't just go looking after your own backyard, Brisbane travel just as much as you do.
Sounds like you don't care about Brisbane traveling, as long as you get less that's fine?

Well if you want to be fair about this, you can't just go looking after your own backyard, Brisbane travel just as much as you do.
Sounds like you don't care about Brisbane traveling, as long as you get less that's fine?

Not suggesting applying what makes sense in WA & SA fixes everything - I'm suggesting it gets phased in in WA & SA initially. The AFL signed off on the Port Suns game in China, they approve moving games out of Melbourne on a different basis on a club by club basis, one size doesn't fit all, just look at how the travel differs between clubs.
Its not as if I saying each club should travel the same number of times, or that travel should be assessed on a kilometres travelled basis ... the is excess supply of footy in Melbourne, there is excess demand in WA & SA & the developing States are different again, & Tas is a different case.

Whats fair, whats best for our game is very much in the eye of the beholder Liz.

Not suggesting applying what makes sense in WA & SA fixes everything - I'm suggesting it gets phased in in WA & SA initially. The AFL signed off on the Port Suns game in China, they approve moving games out of Melbourne on a different basis on a club by club basis, one size doesn't fit all, just look at how the travel differs between clubs.
Its not as if I saying each club should travel the same number of times, or that travel should be assessed on a kilometres travelled basis ... the is excess supply of footy in Melbourne, there is excess demand in WA & SA & the developing States are different again, & Tas is a different case.

Whats fair, whats best for our game is very much in the eye of the beholder Liz.
Well if you have excess demand, then wouldn't it be better for WA and SA to put it to the AFL for 2 new licenses?
Because i really don't think there is one Melbourne club that would agree to play home games in Perth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back