Opinion Did the AFL overcorrect when it removed the Albury/Murray region from the Giant's academy zone?

Did the AFL go too far when it removed the Albury/Murray region from the Giants' academy zone?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol they get plenty. But that’s for discussion on the NRL board yeah? A game played in two states really.
Lose the Greater from GWS and maybe some league fans would feel more inclined to give footy a go.

GWS will be alright I think they should be here but it probably gets interpreted by little eshays and others from overseas who only care about rugby that your club is greater than league.

Lose the Greater from GWS and maybe some league fans would feel more inclined to give footy a go.

GWS will be alright I think they should be here but it probably gets interpreted by little eshays and others from overseas who only care about rugby that your club is greater than league.
Lol has nothing to do with Greater being in the name.
In my opinion, it has plenty do do with trying to be a club for Western Sydney and Canberra and using the coin on the easier areas of the south instead of the hard, but better long term, areas of Western Sydney

In my opinion, it has plenty do do with trying to be a club for Western Sydney and Canberra and using the coin on the easier areas of the south instead of the hard, but better long term, areas of Western Sydney
Probably right but your average league fan isn’t exactly a genius and a lot of the residents in West Syd aren’t exactly model people. A successful team so far in my opinion but wish you luck in converting Mt Druitt and Ctown

No, using laughable comments like the locked away rubbish and comments about western Sydney = child.

Want to discuss like an adult all for it.
Want to be a brat will treat you like one.
I don’t believe you because this is a repeat performance. I’ve seen you speak to many others in the same way. Not going to waste my time on someone who thinks they’re above others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t believe you because this is a repeat performance. I’ve seen you speak to many others in the same way. Not going to waste my time on someone who thinks they’re above others.
As I said, act like a brat and troll and I will treat you as such.
Want to discuss it as an adult then we are good.
It is a repeat performance because I’ve never been any different.

If you want to whinge after trolling and cry foul, then yes I am above you.

All the best. 👍

GWS probably has the most populated academy zone of all the northern academies. Somewhere between 2.5-3 million people in western Sydney, another 500k in the ACT, probably another 300k down to the border. It's not a stretch to say that GWS has access to as many as 4 million NSW/ACT residents. Importantly, there is a certain portion of their zone that is either ok with Aussie rules or are considered full blown football heartland which makes things easier than they would be if they were trying to win over a hardcore rugby league town like Newcastle. That's the point of difference between the Swans and Giants academy zones.

The easy option for GWS is to focus on talent from Canberra and anywhere south of the ACT because they are far more Aussie rules inclined. We're actually seeing something very similar play out with Brisbane's academy where they've put a lot of effort and money into the Moreton/Sunshine Coast area because there are plenty of southern ex pats who are now based there and the Lions are reaping the benefits with lots of AFL & AFLW prospects coming out of that region but we're not seeing anywhere near the level of prospects coming from the city of Brisbane or really hardcore rugby league areas like Ipswich. The NRL recently recognised the progress the Lions were making in that region and decided to expand (Redcliffe) in an attempt to stunt the growth of Aussie rules there. It's not a coincidence that Redcliffe have been handed the Sunshine Coast as a development area for their junior pathways.

It's going to be a long slog for GWS in western Sydney but at least they can rely on areas like Canberra to help them out. Is it enough? I tend to think no and that's the reason for this thread. A competitive GWS outfit is the only way the AFL will make any kind of progress in western Sydney.

Back