Opinion Did the AFL overcorrect when it removed the Albury/Murray region from the Giant's academy zone?

Did the AFL go too far when it removed the Albury/Murray region from the Giants' academy zone?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Now that the Giants' original crop of players are coming to the backend of their careers, it's becoming more and more obvious that the premiership window is well and truly shut for GWS and they will need to commit to a list rebuild. Dwindling crowds and young stars requesting trades away have exacerbated the issues for the Giants and this happens to coincide with Penrith and other western Sydney teams like Parramatta playing really well in the NRL. It would be fair to say that the AFL probably isn't pleased about the state of things in western Sydney right now after 10+ years of investment.

But could this have been avoided? Would the retention of the Albury/Murray region in the Giants' academy zone have been prevented such a dramatic drop off or was this always going to be a fait accompli for GWS? Some of the players they would have been able to recruit if they had kept Albury/Murray in their academy zone include Todd Marshall, Charlie Spargo and Jacob Koschitzke.

That region is closer to Melbourne than Sydney, so, no. Giants have been in WS 11 years - with the supposed increase in participation there, surely some local players will start coming through?

So says a Cats poster as they are about to rort Gold Coast - AGAIN!

Glasshouses, stones
We got the worst deal in history for Gary Ablett. In real terms he was worth two top 5 picks not Josh Caddy and Billie Smedts.

Glad the AFL invented a draft pick up after we lost Motlop but even then we overpaid to get the bloke back.

I don’t even believe in compo picks.

So says a Cats poster as they are about to rort Gold Coast - AGAIN!
I'm all for rules for stopping the richer clubs get richer to even up the draft. But no way do I want my team to be a sucker and not exploit the rules as they are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes and no.

Yes - It was a ridiculous cut due to the success we had earlier than expected, causing the outrage of some down south.
Swans copped the same when they got a trade ban.

Funny how the Cats and Tigers who are obviously very successful but also still trade in stars have no consequences and the media are all for it.🤔

But also, personally for me,

No - It should of meant we went all in on Western Sydney, we didn’t.

We got the worst deal in history for Gary Ablett. In real terms he was worth two top 5 picks not Josh Caddy and Billie Smedts.

Glad the AFL invented a draft pick up after we lost Motlop but even then we overpaid to get the bloke back.

I don’t even believe in compo picks.
I raise you pick 19 for Buddy :rolleyes:

I raise you pick 19 for Buddy :rolleyes:
You still did better than us from a worse hand. I still think if an uncontracted player leaves, that a club should only get a pick at the end of the draft

You still did better than us from a worse hand. I still think if an uncontracted player leaves, that a club should only get a pick at the end of the draft
With the flow of players from bad clubs to good, I think such a move would really hurt the competition.

Imagine if GWS had gotten nothing for Cameron?

With the flow of players from bad clubs to good, I think such a move would really hurt the competition.

Imagine if GWS had gotten nothing for Cameron?
That’s called equality

As long as you ignore the advantages the heartland clubs have ..... If we want our game to be national, one size does not fit all.
Ok but why don’t my other team Melbourne Storm get said advantages not that they’ve ever needed them?

Back