Training 2018 Pre Season Discussion and Progress

Remove this Banner Ad

Early days but I'm starting to get a sense Florent goes missing a bit like Rohan
I think he is gonna have a middling to big season in the twos, maybe a few games in the 1sts. Probably like Jones he wont so much as break out as eventually just be a player.

I think he is gonna have a middling to big season in the twos, maybe a few games in the 1sts. Probably like Jones he wont so much as break out as eventually just be a player.
I hope Jones can pull it together this season and take the next step from average to outstanding. He did have a good season but we put a lot of expectations on him.

I hope Jones can pull it together this season and take the next step from average to outstanding. He did have a good season but we put a lot of expectations on him.
I think he was great last year, maybe needs to stop giving silly 50's away but for a team that can lack aggression at times,his tenacity is very valuable

I think he was great last year, maybe needs to stop giving silly 50's away but for a team that can lack aggression at times,his tenacity is very valuable

I think its overstated how often his aggression gives away significant penalties, I think Papley is just as big of a candidate for taht without getting the attention Zak does.

I agree he was decent, but he only had 1 game I think he was at his highest level. He turns that into 10 games and we have an absolutely stellar midfield.

Lots of talk about tinkering with the game plan, coaching etc.

I hope an answer has been found for the team implosion. One of our biggest problems since 2012 is that the whole team capitulates as one.

I have mentioned this before, The game plan requires only 1 or 2 players performing poorly. Any more than that the game plan will disintegrate.

A hawthorn style keeping the ball way style game plan is inherently less dependant on every player playing at an extremely high level.

180227_gallery15.JPG

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jones needs to be more aware of who's around him. He can be a bit predictable and his disposal by foot can be untidy. But....he goes like a cut snake and I love his agression. We need his type. He just needs to polish his act a bit.

Lots of talk about tinkering with the game plan, coaching etc.

I hope an answer has been found for the team implosion. One of our biggest problems since 2012 is that the whole team capitulates as one.

It seems to me that both the strength and weakness is our style of play. The high intensity game requires peak pyschological performance. You can get away with slight variations in home and away but in finals you can't. When you lift in that style of play pyschologically it's more difficult to repeat at short notice. You may be able to go 2 games but the next you eventually experience a drop off in intensity because it simply can't be sustained. That is why we implode as you say. We therefore will always be vulnerable to it unless the underlying skill level becomes superior to competitors. With the progression of our list I feel it's possible to get superiority by skill than by intensity and then we will no longer be vulnerable. That's my thinking. Until then unless we can get an easier finals game (because they're down) then it will be difficult. It's all to do with game style and psychology

The problem with horse is he doesn't understand the machinations of the pyschology of his own game style. He thinks it's a deep well and you can reach your maximum time after time. You simply can't. At those times in his mind 'we weren't hard enough at the ball'

Last edited:
Ooh boy, if I wasn't already so attached to my profile pic this would be the new winner

AHEM

I have the copyright for all deano related avatars.

It seems to me that both the strength and weakness is our style of play. The high intensity game requires peak pyschological performance. You can get away with slight variations in home and away but in finals you can't. When you lift in that style of play pyschologically it's more difficult to repeat at short notice. You may be able to go 2 games but the next you eventually experience a drop off in intensity because it simply can't be sustained. That is why we implode as you say. We therefore will always be vulnerable to it unless the underlying skill level becomes superior to competitors. With the progression of our list I feel it's possible to get superiority by skill than by intensity and then we will no longer be vulnerable. That's my thinking. Until then unless we can get an easier finals game (because they're down) then it will be difficult. It's all to do with game style and psychology

The problem with horse is he doesn't understand the machinations of the pyschology of his own game style. He thinks it's a deep well and you can reach your maximum time after time. You simply can't. At those times in his mind 'we weren't hard enough at the ball'

If the problem is psychological, it won't matter what level of skill they develop because they will almost always implode at the wrong time.
After the 2014 GF debacle Horse hinted that the players don't always bring enough sandwiches for the picnic.

If the problem is psychological, it won't matter what level of skill they develop because they will almost always implode at the wrong time.
After the 2014 GF debacle Horse hinted that the players don't always bring enough sandwiches for the picnic.

If your skill level tends to beat opposition then the intensity you need is less therefore you won't need to press pedal to metal. Yes there is a correlation

If your skill level tends to beat opposition then the intensity you need is less therefore you won't need to press pedal to metal. Yes there is a correlation

Perhaps in H&A that might hold true.
Finals are as much about intensity as they are about skill. Our 2005/2006 team can attest to that.

I was watching highlights of our 05 & 06 campaigns. I forgot how ferocious we used to go for the ball and the player. We used to make up a lot of ground due to our lack of 'skill'. If our current crop were to play with the same intensity we'd be near unstoppable

Remove this Banner Ad

Back