Training 2018 Pre Season Discussion and Progress

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd like to see numbers on houses/dollars per player. For example guys like Gary Rohan and Isaac Heeney are mainstays in the "training the house down" articles. If you conducted a houses to performance analysis, obviously Kennedy would star as he just goes about his business without needing stupid puff pieces. Heeney would do ok, because he gets lots of articles but can actually play.
I think in the house comparsion idea. Heeney and Kennedy own their own homes. Rohan is still renting. He has a really good landlord, but things can change. If the landlord decides that the property is underperforming, and decides to reduce his property portfolio ,he wiil have to move out'

I was watching highlights of our 05 & 06 campaigns. I forgot how ferocious we used to go for the ball and the player. We used to make up a lot of ground due to our lack of 'skill'. If our current crop were to play with the same intensity we'd be near unstoppable

Richmond just won one purely on intensity.

You can talk to the blue in the face about game styles, skill etc but ultimately manic pressure across the whole 22 will get the full result over everything else.

Lots of talk about tinkering with the game plan, coaching etc.

I hope an answer has been found for the team implosion. One of our biggest problems since 2012 is that the whole team capitulates as one.

Nothing to do with game plan or coaching this is directly on the players for what ever reason we seem to have our worst games when it really matters.

Longmire doesn't tell them to play at their worst when it matters.

It's like the talk about us being Hawthorn's bitches just because they beat us twice by a kick last year. In the first game was lost two players altogether, one right at the outset. In the second we had a wall of injuries through the game including JPK who had just 14 disposals after shutting Mitchell out altogether early in the game. That game also had the infamous non-goal (touched) and a few other controversial decisions that went Hawk's way. Sure Hawks had a few players out but they had some depth. We lost ours after the first bounce and couldn't replace them. I also don't agree that Geelong just copied Hawks style to beat us. What complete tosh. In the 2016 PF we didn't worry about Danger at all and just went about playing our own style, the style that consistently beats Geelong. In the last final they put Danger forward, our defence tripped over itself in worry and we become entirely focussed on trying to stop Dangerfield. The game plan was left fluttering on the bench and the damage was done before we could regroup. That was just a tired and emotional side getting ahead of itself. We'd dared to dream, there was no-one left that we hadn't already beaten, we could see the shiny cup and the enormity of how close we were to a premiership got to us.

In any year the odds are always against any particular side winning the GF. Even the most tipped this year (Adelaide and Sydney) have odds of around 6-1 or so against them. So for any one team to win that team must beat the odds against them. In other words they must have enough good fortune to get a much better result than could statistically be expected of them. The odds against the Swans winning the premiership from the end of Round 6 2017 were unthinkably huge. So I don't think we're some kind of failure because we didn't beat those odds.

Nothing to do with game plan or coaching this is directly on the players for what ever reason we seem to have our worst games when it really matters.

Longmire doesn't tell them to play at their worst when it matters.

I think this discussion underestimates how we play the best teams at the end - so that makes games naturally harder, it's not like the players fold or mentally aren't up to it, it's the team and the game plan come under intense pressure. Makes premierships worth celebrating when we get one.

I'm more likely to blame the lack of midfield cohesion than the team folding psychologically for the near misses over recent years. We have a fair amount of one pace players who go hard at it - and that is to be respected, not many of them are exceptional at evading in traffic, or setting up their team mates putting them into space. The lack of explosive pace means we find it hard to extract cleanly from congestion in the modern game.
We really lack a Dusty, Danger type.
Jack is good with his step in evading and opening up space, but his lack of ability on one side limits his effectiveness (still a gun). I'm hoping to see some of the young speed we recruited start to impact and start creating for us.

It's why I see Smith - as good as he's been for us locking down players - as the one most under pressure in the team. If Macca is injured it also provides an opportunity for Stoddart to come in. I can see Mills taking Macca's organisational role, with Stoddart taking the game on a bit. Jones and Stoddart down back in place of Smith and Macca makes us a really interesting prospect I reckon. (With full respect to Smith and Macca - both modern legends of our club).

Maybe Ronke/Florent to compete for a spot adding a bit more zip in midfield. Though I am concerned with Florent's ability to collect the pill enough.

Jones....Grundy....Rampe

Mills.....Melican......Stoddart

Towers....Kennedy.....Lloyd

Jack....Buddy....Hayward

Heeney....Sinclair....Papley

Foll: Naismith/Aliir (depending on opponent), Parker, Hewett

Bench: Reid, Rohan, Newman, Ronke

Macca and Hanners not considered due to injury. We can still keep rotating Jones, Mills, Papley, Jack and Heeney through the middle to wear opponents down like we did last year.

I think this discussion underestimates how we play the best teams at the end - so that makes games naturally harder, it's not like the players fold or mentally aren't up to it, it's the team and the game plan come under intense pressure. Makes premierships worth celebrating when we get one.

I'm more likely to blame the lack of midfield cohesion than the team folding psychologically for the near misses over recent years. We have a fair amount of one pace players who go hard at it - and that is to be respected, not many of them are exceptional at evading in traffic, or setting up their team mates putting them into space. The lack of explosive pace means we find it hard to extract cleanly from congestion in the modern game.
We really lack a Dusty, Danger type.
Jack is good with his step in evading and opening up space, but his lack of ability on one side limits his effectiveness (still a gun). I'm hoping to see some of the young speed we recruited start to impact and start creating for us.

It's why I see Smith - as good as he's been for us locking down players - as the one most under pressure in the team. If Macca is injured it also provides an opportunity for Stoddart to come in. I can see Mills taking Macca's organisational role, with Stoddart taking the game on a bit. Jones and Stoddart down back in place of Smith and Macca makes us a really interesting prospect I reckon. (With full respect to Smith and Macca - both modern legends of our club).

Maybe Ronke/Florent to compete for a spot adding a bit more zip in midfield. Though I am concerned with Florent's ability to collect the pill enough.

Jones....Grundy....Rampe

Mills.....Melican......Stoddart

Towers....Kennedy.....Lloyd

Jack....Buddy....Hayward

Heeney....Sinclair....Papley

Foll: Naismith/Aliir (depending on opponent), Parker, Hewett

Bench: Reid, Rohan, Newman, Ronke

Macca and Hanners not considered due to injury. We can still keep rotating Jones, Mills, Papley, Jack and Heeney through the middle to wear opponents down like we did last year.
I'm hoping Macca has been training some of the other defenders in reading the play and positioning players accordingly. I agree we do need to transition our defenders eventually but early last season saw things all a bit rushed due to injuries and the wheels fell off through too much change. It needs to be a tightly managed process, preferably swapping out one at a time as we bring up the experience level. Smith and Macca represent a huge number of games between them. Add Grundy and we could lose more experience in defence over the next couple of years or so than most teams could ever hope to have. That experience has to be built up quickly. That's one reason why I'd prefer Mills to stay in defence, at least for the next couple of years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is no one panicking about Hanners?

Well he wasn't much chop last year imho, so if he's not ready now it's not the devastating blow it would have been considered the year before.
Far better to get his body right now so he can go back to being the gun he is. If he comes back halfway through the year able to run all day on the outside I'll be over the moon.

Well he wasn't much chop last year imho, so if he's not ready now it's not the devastating blow it would have been considered the year before.
Far better to get his body right now so he can go back to being the gun he is. If he comes back halfway through the year able to run all day on the outside I'll be over the moon.

True. I guess the idea of going over to Perth to face the Eagles without Hannebery is just a scary prospect.

True. I guess the idea of going over to Perth to face the Eagles without Hannebery is just a scary prospect.
50 point win instead of 80 you reckon? Cunningham will be in the team for that game? If only just to follow Gaff around as much as possible.

50 point win instead of 80 you reckon? Cunningham will be in the team for that game? If only just to follow Gaff around as much as possible.

I wish i had your confidence. West Coast will be more up and about for that game than any other they'll play next year.

I wish i had your confidence. West Coast will be more up and about for that game than any other they'll play next year.
I believe no home team have won their first game at the new Perth Stadium, that's an omen.

Without Mitchell or Priddis they will get PUMMELED. JPK, Parker, Hewett and Papley won't let them near the ball. Nic Nat probably not there, so we can play Aliir/Sinclair in the ruck and Aliir will run his opponent ragged. For a change we will get off to a flyer this year. 60 point win for sure. :D

Without Mitchell or Priddis they will get PUMMELED. JPK, Parker, Hewett and Papley won't let them near the ball. Nic Nat probably not there, so we can play Aliir/Sinclair in the ruck and Aliir will run his opponent ragged. For a change we will get off to a flyer this year. 60 point win for sure. :D

I think it's the uncertainty of it. I have no idea how West Coast will perform because they'll be such a different side this year to previous years when we've done reasonably well against them. Plus a new ground. I've come to accept that if we play at Domain or Adelaide Oval or Etihad, we will play really well; if we play at the MCG or the Gabba we will play average. Who knows with this new one

Remove this Banner Ad

Back