World Cup 2018 FIFA World Cup Third Place Play-Off-BELGIUM V ENGLAND

Remove this Banner Ad

Belgium will go for the win again and field whoever is healthy and can play. They'll beat them again if the teams are full strength. Would be funny if England lost 3 times in the one tournament.

England with the strong motivation to overtake South Korea in World Cup success this century.
Something to hang their hats on. :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:
sales-awards-4kh4v9.jpg

The 3rd place playoff game has been brilliant for as long as I can remember with goals in it and teams in fact do want to finish 3rd. Brazil certainly did last time around especially after that hammering by Germany only to get belted again, 3-0 by Holland.

2014 - Holland 3-0 Brazil
2010 - Germany 3-2 Uruguay
2006 - Germany 3-1 Portugal
2002 - Turkey 3-2 South Korea
1998 - Croatia 2-1 Holland
1994 - Sweden 4-0 Bulgaria
1990 - Italy 2-1 England
1986 - France 4-2 Belgium A.E.T

Yeah, 3rd place means nothing to these Countries and the games are s**t:huh:

Stop your whining you're worse than bloody women.

When was the last time two teams from the same group played each other in a final or 3/4 place game?

1954 - Hungary beat West Germany 8-3 in the groups, West Germany beat Hungary 3-2 in the final.

1962 - Brazil drew with Czechoslovakia 0-0 in the groups, Brazil beat Czechoslovakia 3-1 in the final.

England vs Belgium this year is the only such occurrence of teams from the same group playing off for the 3rd place playoff, I believe.

To be fair, South Korea should never have gotten to the semis.
South Korea topped their group, then beat Italy and Spain before going out 1-0 to Germany in the Semis.
England couldn’t even top their group, needed penalties to get past Colombia (no James Rodriguez) and beat plonkers Sweden. Had a World Cup Final for the taking and couldn’t do it.

South Korea - Italy, Spain, Germany
England - Colombia, Sweden, Croatia.

South Korea topped their group, then beat Italy and Spain before going out 1-0 to Germany in the Semis.
England couldn’t even top their group, needed penalties to get past Colombia (no James Rodriguez) and beat plonkers Sweden. Had a World Cup Final for the taking and couldn’t do it.

South Korea - Italy, Spain, Germany
England - Colombia, Sweden, Croatia.
South Korea also received some very very favourable decisions at key moments that boosted their campaign.
This was where I was getting at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These matches are always free-flowing and high-scoring because both teams know there really isn't anything to play for so that don't lock down as much. Is it nice to finish 3rd? I guess, but, in the end, it's a consolation prize and a glorified friendly.

What's going on with Rose's socks??

Well for starters they're cutting off the oxygen to his brain.

See him sooking about having no movement to pass to upfield? That after he took a nap to let the first goal happen.

These matches are always free-flowing and high-scoring because both teams know there really isn't anything to play for so that don't lock down as much. Is it nice to finish 3rd? I guess, but, in the end, it's a consolation prize and a glorified friendly.
It's a glorified participation medal

The 3rd place playoff game has been brilliant for as long as I can remember with goals in it and teams in fact do want to finish 3rd. Brazil certainly did last time around especially after that hammering by Germany only to get belted again, 3-0 by Holland.

2014 - Holland 3-0 Brazil
2010 - Germany 3-2 Uruguay
2006 - Germany 3-1 Portugal
2002 - Turkey 3-2 South Korea
1998 - Croatia 2-1 Holland
1994 - Sweden 4-0 Bulgaria
1990 - Italy 2-1 England
1986 - France 4-2 Belgium A.E.T

Yeah, 3rd place means nothing to these Countries and the games are s**t:huh:

Stop your whining you're worse than bloody women.

Surely the abundance of goals tells you that the intensity is lacking in this playoff? It's a bit of fun, nothing more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back