Rolling World Cup squad thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d like to see Stoinis move up to open with Warner and let Finch bat in the middle without the threat of a new ball swinging into his stumps. Stoinis has looked good opening for the Stars.

Warner
Stoinis
SMarsh
Smith
Finch (c)
Maxwell
Carey
Cummins
Starc
Richardson
Zampa

Reserves
Handscomb
Hazelwood
Short

I'd like to see CA pick a squad of complete debutants. No ODI experience whatsoever. Make them all put numbers in the 80s and 90s on the back of their shirts. Open the bowling with Matt Renshaw.
Shrooms?

What about the Ashes? It's not being hosted in Australia either this time..
The Ashes is the holy grail for cricket fans in Australia. Most would place more importance with the Ashes than a one day World Cup so it’s not surprising to find most posters concentrating on real cricket.

What about the Ashes? It's not being hosted in Australia either this time..

Despite Australia's success in ODI, I think the general public just really don't hold ODI in that high a regard. Tests are the pinnacle and an Ashes series is far more important than any other form of cricket against any other nation. Plus, no one expects this Australian side to do that well. Any success will be a surprise given they just aren't very good anymore. The Ashes is far more interesting.

Despite Australia's success in ODI, I think the general public just really don't hold ODI in that high a regard.
T20 has supplanted ODIs as a form of quick cricket entertainment. I'm one of the general public that doesn't see a need for 50 over matches any more. I also abhor the laser focus on the Ashes to the detriment of all other series.

Partially cricket media's fault. They constantly talk about the Ashes like it is the only cricket that matters. Been hearing it since before the trio got suspended even though there's several series of different formats in between, including the WC.

I personally love the Ashes, but sometimes it can get tiresome when the media, especially the english media carries on like it's the only thing that matters in cricket. I mean, I get beating old enemy the part and the history behind the whole thing. Everything goes into overdrive whenever India plays Pakistan in our part of the world and I would love to see India return the pasting that we got in the CT final in the upcoming world cup and add to that 7-0 WC streak over them. But it's not like I can't wait for the match up to happen, I'll enjoy it when the match up arrives. I enjoy an Indian tour to South Africa, England and Australia equally, if not more.

Also the Ashes are more enjoyable to me as a neutral when atleast one, if not both of the teams are at the top of the pile like it was in the past. It gives the feeling of a summit clash, whereas this time around, if England go on to get whitewashed in the Caribbean, it'll be a mid table clash and more of a battle between two bald men fighting for the comb. Both teams have flaws in their batting line ups and have good-great bowling attacks. The Australian attack is good but England will still prevail on account of their home conditions and the quality of their swing bowling attack. I personally think Australia has more chances to win the world cup than the upcoming Ashes. An Australian second XI pushed a near full strength Indian XI in the recent ODI series and it was a very competitive series, especially when you compare it to how the series between India and an NZ side in red hot form went in their home. With Smith (if he gets fit), Warner, Starc, Cummins and Hazlewood back, Australia will reach the semis and then it's a case of who has more luck and pedigree of playing in the big matches.

Warner
Finch (c)
SMarsh
Smith/Khawaja
Maxwell
Wade/Carey/Handscomb (wk)
Stoinis
Starc
Cummins
Hazlewood/Richardson
Zampa

That's a side any team will be nervous about facing in a knockout match.

The Ashes is the holy grail for cricket fans in Australia. Most would place more importance with the Ashes than a one day World Cup so it’s not surprising to find most posters concentrating on real cricket.

That's okay but I find it hard to believe that fans who hardly know about the world cup taking place in England and don't care enough to watch it, will suddenly tune into an Ashes series in England. If that post is true, then it gives me a picture that a majority of cricket fans in Australia are casual fans who just tune into watch the big stuff, which in this case is the Ashes, like many casual tennis fans tune in just during grandslams. And the section of dedicated fans who watch the world cup and all other away series like the people here is a minority. Is that right?

That's okay but I find it hard to believe that fans who hardly know about the world cup taking place in England and don't care enough to watch it, will suddenly tune into an Ashes series in England. If that post is true, then it gives me a picture that a majority of cricket fans in Australia are casual fans who just tune into watch the big stuff, which in this case is the Ashes, like many casual tennis fans tune in just during grandslams. And the section of dedicated fans who watch the world cup and all other away series like the people here is a minority. Is that right?

England is a terrible time for us to watch it anyway- it's in the middle of the night. At least the test matches only one session is terrible. You'll find most Australians will watch the bigger matches at the WC (i.e.. finals, etc) but won't bother watching Aus against some associate team which we will thrash. You have to be realistic, most people are asleep by midnight.

I’d say tv ratings from both the World Cup and the Ashes will be very similar overall. If Australia’s playing cricket fans will watch regardless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d say tv ratings from both the World Cup and the Ashes will be very similar overall. If Australia’s playing cricket fans will watch regardless.

That is why I am thankful there are less minnows at this WC. There are a lot more meaningful matches early on rather than every country getting 400+ against some minnow.

Sorry, which associate is that going to be?

Isn't there a qualifier or something, personally don't care enough about them. The more better matches, the more likely people will watch. I don't want to see Holland, Namibia or some other chump team.

Unpopular opinion: I think this world cup is going to be one of the most exciting world cups in memory.

It sucks that associates aren't given a chance to participate in the world cup, but one effect of that will be that there will be no formality/easy beat matches and every match will have context given this world cup is using the '92 format.

Last edited:
Isn't there a qualifier or something, personally don't care enough about them. The more better matches, the more likely people will watch. I don't want to see Holland, Namibia or some other chump team.
Yeah, was all done March last year in Zimbabwe. Windies and Afghanistan, two full test 'nations', qualified.

Unpopular opinion: I this this world cup is going to be one of the most exciting world cups in memory.

It sucks that associates aren't given a chance to participate in the world cup, but one effect of that will be that there will be no formality/east beat matches and every match will have context given this world cup is using the '92 format.

Still goes far too long. I swear these big competitions must have a battle on who can have the longest competition...

England is a terrible time for us to watch it anyway- it's in the middle of the night. At least the test matches only one session is terrible. You'll find most Australians will watch the bigger matches at the WC (i.e.. finals, etc) but won't bother watching Aus against some associate team which we will thrash. You have to be realistic, most people are asleep by midnight.

Good point about the time zone difference, I totally forgot it for some reason. It's kinda weird having a marquee series happen between two biggest rivals when one of those countries is sleeping lol, but it's just the way it is I guess.

Good point about the time zone difference, I totally forgot it for some reason. It's kinda weird having a marquee series happen between two biggest rivals when one of those countries is sleeping lol, but it's just the way it is I guess.

The Ashes isn't too bad, from memory the first session is around 7pm, so two sessions are done before midnight. It is fractionally easier. However most ODI's start at 2pm or so, that's like 10pm here at best. Becomes tough if you are doing back to back days getting to bed at 3:30am. For the big games (especially weekends) no dramas but mid week is hard.

Also, unsurprisingly the two teams that qualified are ranked 9 and 10 in the ICC ODI Championship, suggesting the ICC didn't really need to run the qualifier anyway.

It's the old "we will hold one but we only want the test nations to win" thing

The crowd atmosphere in England is generally awesome. The only negative is their weather.

Also, generally the English fans have always been pretty ambivalent about ODI cricket but this is the first time, they're really excited for it since they're going in as the favourites to win in a world cup happening at home. Also probably one of the rare times when they have a much stronger one day team than a test team. Reckon there's going to be plenty of slogans to the equivalent of "it's coming home" lol. The scenes are going to be dramatic if they win their first ever world cup on home soil or crash out in the semifinals, eitherway it's going to be entertaining lol.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back