List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

the rumour is that WE rate him which is all that matters.

but its rumour, so. yeah
I love Taylor, I understand he's a "close to family" Noongar kid but I think he'll make recruiters look silly in coming years.

My dream scenario:

It gets to pick 13 and a highly rated player we don't particularly love is still available (say Dev Robertson).

A couple of clubs with stockpiled picks offer us trades, but a desperate Norf go with 26&27 for 13&53 with the massive sweetener of trading 1st rounders next year.

We take the punt, get 2 guys we rate highly in Pickett and Rivers.

Next year we get the fun of death riding North as their fortunes plummet and they crash to a spoon.

Meanwhile, Marra utterly dominates the U18 season to be the clearest #1 selection in years.

The rest of the competition looks on in envy as we claim the 2nd best candidate at pick 1 and then match on JUH at 2.

Now that would be a satisfying use of pick 13.

North must be the most generous club going around. I would do 13 and 53 for 26 and 27. Pick 26 has been a lucky pick in recent years too.

Draft central podcast phantom draft has us taking Bergman. That’s with theoretical trades of Hawks moving up with Sydney’s pick 5 and Geelong moving up with Melbourne’s pick 8.
Louis Butler with our later pick.

Last edited:

Going by the Carnival stats. Jai Jackson, another forward. Averages more possessions, more contested ball, same assists, same scoring shots, just a goal more. But averages a crap load of more tackles, apparently hit the double figures a few times for his main club, and more so goes at a great 85 percent efficiency by foot, compared to Picketts 55 percent. Yeah I know he is 185cm, to Picketts 170cm. But if we are going for someone to create forward 50 pressure, Jai Jackson is another late option should Henry or Pickett not be there at our second pick. The guy can make tackles and use the ball very well.

Jai Jackson would be a marvellous pick at 53.

They shit the bed when they ignore pick 9 though. Bonkers.
They could have got a bid in for Liam Henry which would be matched by Fremantle or at least had Melbourne
taking one of the best weighted kicks in the draft Hayden Young maybe with their unknown trade out they
will grab the second best weighted kick in Trent Bianco who knows. I am more disappointed in Melbourne
they pay people money to come up with Luke Jackson they might as well buy a spinning wheel or punch
in random numbers on the night.

If we're playing 3 talls (Naughton, Bruce & Schache now - JUH later) I don't think we need a straight 'replacement' for Lloyd and Dickson. Dale has the tools to make it as that rangy marking medium forward, and one other spot is normally used by a resting mid anyway.

TBH I am not convinced Dickson plays a full season and he'll retire at the end of the year so we should have a new looking forwardline from 2020 anyway. I don't have much faith in Fergus Greene nor Caverra but one of them may surprise. Wally was a surprisingly effective forward in the back half of 2018 too.
Unfortunately Dickos body most likely won’t allow him to play a full season even if he wants to. I think he’s still an important part of the team if fit and has a huge pre season ahead of him. I have a little more faith in Fergus Greene than I do Cavarra and both have big years ahead if they’re going to stay on the list.
I’m one of those who doesn’t mind the Pickett gamble although it would depend on who is there when our pick comes around. I think we are in as good a position as we’ve ever been to roll the dice on him if we think we can make it pay off...

just a question, with Jamarra Uglke-Hagan firming as a possible top 3 pick (maybe even pick 1) next year, would your pick 13 be on the table for a drop to pick 23 this year + GWS 1st rounder next year for extra points? Nt sure if you guys already have the points in the bank for him or whether getting the points is a priority. Just starting to look at possible trades our club might have in mind as Reid has intimated we may not be finished pick trading yet and the GWS 1st we have might be put up

just a question, with Jamarra Uglke-Hagan firming as a possible top 3 pick (maybe even pick 1) next year, would your pick 13 be on the table for a drop to pick 23 this year + GWS 1st rounder next year for extra points? Nt sure if you guys already have the points in the bank for him or whether getting the points is a priority. Just starting to look at possible trades our club might have in mind as Reid has intimated we may not be finished pick trading yet and the GWS 1st we have might be put up
With how insistent Power was on not trading out Pick 13 in the Keath trade, I am thinking it's pretty unlikely that we'd be trading Pick 13 at all this year regardless of what offers come our way. On the surface, Pick 13 for Pick 23 + GWS 2020 1st is a pretty enticing deal, but I think it's pretty unlikely to happen simply because of how tight we've been holding onto Pick 13 in the first place.

In terms of points, we are on track for a deficit after matching Ugle-Hagan, Stevens and Macpherson next year, but I imagine it's not too big a concern right now since we don't know whether any of our players will seek trades in 2020 (which gives us picks anyway). Would be nice to have that extra 1st rounder, but I am thinking the chances are pretty low of that Pick 13 being involved in any trades at all. I, personally, am an advocate for trading down if McAsey is gone by our pick, but it wouldn't surprise me if Power has someone else in mind anyway

Last edited:

My first thought would be that you'd want to keep that 1st to help with a play for Jack Lukosius next year?

I'm inclined to think we won't drop down the order unless we're also pulling up our pick in the 50s, and only if our specific targets at 13 are gone.

I'd do it. Probably prefer to try and deal with sun's for 20 and there priority pick next year. Grab a pickett rantall sharp or rivers with the early second

I think some of the punters here have looked at next year's issue and have concluded that the worst that can happen is a minor points deficit (several hundred draft points or thereabouts) to get the NGA & F/S haul on offer.

Therefore, I would prefer to keep pick 13 this year. That said, I am fairly conservative and don't like the idea of swapping futures where, of course, you are betting on the finishing position of the team trading out the pick. I prefer more certainty and I like to pay with cash.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With how insistent Power was on not trading out Pick 13 in the Keath trade, I am thinking it's pretty unlikely that we'd be trading Pick 13 at all this year regardless of what offers come our way. On the surface, Pick 13 for Pick 23 + GWS 2020 1st is a pretty enticing deal, but I think it's pretty unlikely to happen simply because of how tight we've been holding onto Pick 13 in the first place.

In terms of points, we are on track for a deficit after matching Ugle-Hagan, Stevens and Macpherson next year, but I imagine it's not too big a concern right now since we don't know whether any of our players will seek trades in 2020 (which gives us picks anyway). Would be nice to have that extra 1st rounder, but I am thinking the chances are pretty low of that Pick 13 being involved in any trades at all. I, personally, am an advocate for trading down if McAsey is gone by our pick, but it wouldn't surprise me if Power has someone else in mind anyway
Stevens isn't NGA linked to us, as discussed in NGA thread. We only need to worry about JUH and Macpherson.

Draft central podcast phantom draft has us taking Bergman. That’s with theoretical trades of Hawks moving up with Sydney’s pick 5 and Geelong moving up with Melbourne’s pick 8.
Louis Butler with our later pick.
What was the order of the first round? If its not to much trouble

Adelaide Freo and Melbourne have swapped picks with Freo now having picks 7 and 8 before a likely Henry bid.
Adelaide move 28 up to 22 in exchange for a pick in the 40s they weren't going to use
Melboune slide back 2 spots but pick up pick 28 which gives them the ability to take the required three picks in the draft
Win, win, win

Adelaide Freo and Melbourne have swapped picks with Freo now having picks 7 and 8 before a likely Henry bid.
Adelaide move 28 up to 22 in exchange for a pick in the 40s they weren't going to use
Melboune slide back 2 spots but pick up pick 28 which gives them the ability to take the required three picks in the draft
Win, win, win

funny if Sydney bids on Henry

I'd definitely consider this IF we found a way to also trade out our own next years first to back into the first round this year. Pick up Bergman with that pick, Pickett at 23 and still have the GWS 1st next year to help with points for Marra

So much movement in the first round draft order there’s no conceivable way we held 13 for a specific player.

I never thought that was the case. It was just important to get our last go at choosing a first round prospect before our draft becomes bidding and probably defect the year after.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back