Opinion 2023 AFL Draft Prospects

Who do you want for our first pick at the AFL Draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

FMD! ...the draft is still a week away?

Here I was thinking it was today. There goes all of the jam out of my donut.

With a week to go, I suspect that all of the manoeuvring and speculation will settle down and yet again the sections will be a fait accompli leading to yet another anodyne night of me not bothering to watch. Not that I can given I always cancel Kayo when the H&A season finishes but you get my point.

FMD! ...the draft is still a week away?

Here I was thinking it was today.

With a week to go, I suspect that all of the manoeuvring and speculation will settle down and yet again the sections will be a fait accompli leading to yet another anodyne night of me not bothering to watch. Not that I can given I always cancel Kayo when the H&A season finishes but you get my point.

It's today.

If Bailey Smith can refund his inside mid form with the addition of Sanders

Bont can finally relax and not carry us for 22 rounds

I guess it depends which Macrae shows up. The 2023 version was below parr and needs to lift imo….
He was actually okay pre-bye, afterwards though was clearly carrying something.

Do we have any evidence of Baz playing well as an inside mid for us? Wasn't his first half of 2022 more on the outside?

Is this a real thing though?

Hasn't Smiths best football been played as a wide ranging half forward using his running power to work up and down the ground?

If Melbourne really did want Sanders and we were happy with either Sanders or Watson, we’d be stupid not to accept a trade with them. Picking up another first next year would be vital and we’d still pick up an extremely talented player that would fit in our lineup next year.

It’s very interesting how this board has fallen in love with Sanders over the past few weeks (myself included). He wasn’t really on the boards radar a month ago and now he’s a can’t miss prospect without playing a game of football.

For me this is by far the best thing about recruiting Sanders.

Bont was fatigued from doing too much of the inside work in the last part of the season.

One of the key reasons why we stayed in the top 2 for majority (sigh) of the year in 2021 was that Bont had more of an OUTSIDE component to his role.

If Melbourne really did want Sanders and we were happy with either Sanders or Watson, we’d be stupid not to accept a trade with them. Picking up another first next year would be vital and we’d still pick up an extremely talented player that would fit in our lineup next year.

It’s very interesting how this board has fallen in love with Sanders over the past few weeks (myself included). He wasn’t really on the boards radar a month ago and now he’s a can’t miss prospect without playing a game of football.

He’s perhaps riding a wave of being one of only two genuine inside mids (Reid the other) in the top 15 or so in a draft that’s very light on for mids with centre bounce potential along with the view that we need to draft another inside mid.

If we draft him, it’ll be interesting to see where he gets games next year. He’s not exactly shown a heap of versatility and I’m not sure you can have all of Macrae, Smith and Sanders spending big chunks of time in our forward line.

Michael Rudd
State: Victoria Country
State League Club: Geelong Falcons
Community Club: St Mary’s
Date of Birth: 14/05/05
Height: 193cm

A left-footer who has an outstanding work rate and presents as a marking target with a vice-like grip overhead. He was a consistent performer all year for Geelong Falcons to earn selection in the Coates Talent League Team of the Year and also represented Victoria Country. Kicked 23 goals across all competitions this season and averaged 14 disposals and four marks across 16 games. His elite running capacity and competitiveness was highlighted with his 6:17 for the 2km time trial at the state Draft Combine.

Joel Freijah
State League Club: GWV Rebels
Community Club: Horsham Saints
Date of Birth: 14/11/05
Height: 190cm

A wingman who has real composure, is clean below his knees and distributes the ball very well. Announced himself as an AFL prospect when he kicked six goals from 26 disposals in the GWV Rebels’ loss to the Dandenong Stingrays in Round 4. He holds his width when playing on the wing, providing his team with an outlet option with its ball movement. Had a consistent year at club level averaging 19.6 disposals in 14 matches for the Rebels and finished third in the club’s best and fairest while playing in all four matches for Victoria Country. A strong all-round athlete, he ran a time of 2.98 seconds in the 20m sprint during pre-season testing and then completed the 2km time trial in 6:13 at the national Draft Combine.

Oscar Hine-Baston
State: Western Australia
State League Club: Perth
Community Club: Manning Rippers
Date of Birth: 18/10/04
Height: 177cm

Powerful small defender with a competitive edge who was a consistent player for Western Australia at the National Championships averaging 15.5 disposals at 77 percent efficiency as well as four tackles. Was at his best against the eventual title winners in the Allies with his speed and rebound impressive despite his side suffering a heavy defeat. Progressed to debut at senior level with Perth in the WAFL this year. His natural leap was outstanding during the State Draft Combine testing in Perth, where he ranked number one amongst all state participants in both the standing vertical jump (77cm) and running vertical jump (97cm). With a parent born in South Africa he qualifies as a member of the West Coast Eagles’ Next Generation Academy.

Kobe Shipp
State League Club: Dandenong Stingrays
Community Club: Beaconsfield
Date of Birth: 12/05/05
Height: 187cm

Backs himself with his aggressive attack on the ball and is a solid interceptor both overhead and at ground level. Courageous and a one-touch player he showed excellent composure playing all four matches for Victoria Country at the National Championships. Averaged an impressive 23.4 disposals, 5.5 marks and 5.2 rebound 50s across 11 matches for the Dandenong Stingrays in the Coates Talent League this year. Is the son of former AFL player Andrew Shipp who played 35 games for Fremantle.
There are no NGA spots at WCE as it stands, Hine-Bastion is your man. Lual will be gone. HB is the next best thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like we have open path to Sanders. Not going to turn my nose up at a young mid with elite potential

He’s perhaps riding a wave of being one of only two genuine inside mids (Reid the other) in the top 15 or so in a draft that’s very light on for mids with centre bounce potential along with the view that we need to draft another inside mid.

If we draft him, it’ll be interesting to see where he gets games next year. He’s not exactly shown a heap of versatility and I’m not sure you can have all of Macrae, Smith and Sanders spending big chunks of time in our forward line.
Completely agree. Sanders would be a good get and shore up our midfield for the future but in the immediate future we have a massive logjam. The club needs to bite the bullet and probably make Treloar a full time wing next season and move on from him as a midfielder and allow Smith & Sanders to get some minutes next to our other guns.

At the moment we have Bont & Libba as our mainstays. Treloar, Macrae, Daniel, Smith & possibly Sanders (even Harmes) as the support. It's way too many and simply not feasible. Two of those guys need to find more permanent roles elsewhere.

Yeah if we genuinely can’t split them then very happy to add a F1 and let Melbourne decide for us

Is this a real thing though?

Hasn't Smiths best football been played as a wide ranging half forward using his running power to work up and down the ground?
Yes it has. Closely followed by a run-with role where he doesn't have to think too hard about positioning and can just focus on work-rate, which is undoubtedly elite.

He has an elite capacity to cover ground but his decision making and positioning at CBs is a work in progress. I think we often focus on his deficiencies in long-kicks and forget about the good things he brings to the table.

Where do you see Sanders lining up given unlikely to be room initially in the midfield. Could he play down back for a couple of years, maybe releasing Dale to a wing? Or do you just put Sanders on the wing?

Possibly wing just a bit query on his speed or down back with some pitch hitting in the midfield. Like Tom to take him under his wing because eventually we would be hoping for him to become an elite inside mid.

Last edited:
Completely agree. Sanders would be a good get and shore up our midfield for the future but in the immediate future we have a massive logjam. The club needs to bite the bullet and probably make Treloar a full time wing next season and move on from him as a midfielder and allow Smith & Sanders to get some minutes next to our other guns.

At the moment we have Bont & Libba as our mainstays. Treloar, Macrae, Daniel, Smith & possibly Sanders (even Harmes) as the support. It's way too many and simply not feasible. Two of those guys need to find more permanent roles elsewhere.
Harmes to half forward. Daniel to a sweeper role.

Reckon Sanders could spend his time between Wing, Inside mid, and HF. Has an elite tank.

If Sanders turns into the player that becomes Tassie Team Target #1, I want him even more.
McKercher is probably that guy. I mean, Ryan Gardner is probably that guy...

I'm very confused where Sanders would fit next year.
Bont, Libba, Treloar, Smith, Macrae, Harmes, Sanders is a lot to rotate through the midfield. We've got Daniel who will probably play high half forward too.

I'm guessing we move Macrae to a wing, have Sanders and Smith as high half forwards, and Bont/Treloar/Libba/Harmes as onballers?

Back