Mega Thread Coronavirus & the AFL - season postponed. Part 2 * CONTINUED ABUSE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED *

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't at all accurate, if we started to see a drastic ramp in numbers because people are stupid then it's almost certain we'd see rapid and severe lockdowns. They're moving ahead with easing lockdowns because there's no longer widespread public support for it, there's sufficient resources to deal with the current numbers, and likely they believe they're fairly on top of contact tracing.

Actually the main reason they are easing lockdowns is money. They thought they could pay everyone to stay home until September, turns out it was costing way more than they anticipated and the money wouldn't even last until September.

There's a bit of history in that, lots of guys coming home from a central point for some reason in 1918, spreading out into the whole nation.

Yep, in fact the US troops (like the ANZAC's) all came home in stages over 1918, 1919 and 1920.

You really can't predict the future of this based on 1918-20.

The fundementals are so different...

Perhaps 'Dr Norman Swan' should recognise this during his segments

The macro economics are so different...

Along with a hole heap of other things......like 100 years of inventions/medical equipment/advances in medical treatments etc......

May as well compare it to dinosaurs being wiped out by an asteroid

Yep, in fact the US troops (like the ANZAC's) all came home in stages over 1918, 1919 and 1920.

The macro economics are so different

Epidemiology 100 years ago was also nothing like it is today, not to mention the exponential leaps in medical knowledge and technology.

I am certain we won't get a second wave (in Australia at least) anywhere near the extent of the Spanish flu's second wave. There will be outbreaks, clusters and spikes but we will manage it as we learn more and more about the virus. More importantly, we have bought enough time to prepare for worst case scenarios with plenty of health care capacity, and our social restrictions are not as severe and economy is still at least slowly ticking over unlike places which are royally stuffed like the US and UK.

Epidemiology 100 years ago was also nothing like it is today, not to mention the exponential leaps in medical knowledge and technology.

I am certain we won't get a second wave (in Australia at least) anywhere near the extent of the Spanish flu's second wave. There will be outbreaks, clusters and spikes but we will manage it as we learn more and more about the virus. More importantly, we have bought enough time to prepare for worst case scenarios with plenty of health care capacity, and our social restrictions are not as severe and economy is still at least slowly ticking over unlike places which are royally stuffed like the US and UK.

Absolutely.

Ala the SARS epidemic of 2002/03

I'll trigger Roby with this but the latest Stanford Research indicates that 70% of the MLB personnel that tested positive were asymptomatic (the small fact that only 0.7% of the population tested positive is alarming, we have a long way to go!) but if 50% to 70% carry the virus but not display symtoms it does make it a lot more difficult to contain that SARS or MERS when the virus is rampant in the community right?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/may/11/mlb-baseball-covid-19-coronavirus-antibodies-test

Perhaps it would be better for human kind if the virus was more deadly and killed hosts before it could pass it on to 5-6 others (like New York and London)

I love all of the US criticism of China. If the virus had of started in the US, they would have had zero chance of containing it and it would have spread around the world quicker. They had plenty of time to limit the damage and did nothing to stop it till it was killing thousands so why would they do anything why it was still a new issue and unknown?

The last GFC was caused by the US and felt around the world. Was everybody calling for boycotting the US afterwards and their administration covering it up?
This is the President that ignored the Pandemic response plan created by the Obama government, closed the pandemic response team and slashed funding on monitoring emerging diseases in places like China, then turned around and said the shitty US response was all Obamas fault.

Trump doesnt address problems, he just blames them on someone else.

I love all of the US criticism of China. If the virus had of started in the US, they would have had zero chance of containing it and it would have spread around the world quicker. They had plenty of time to limit the damage and did nothing to stop it till it was killing thousands so why would they do anything why it was still a new issue and unknown?

The last GFC was caused by the US and felt around the world. Was everybody calling for boycotting the US afterwards and their administration covering it up?

Junk housing stock.

We really dodged the bullet with the mining boom and the massive influx of Chinese money that propped up our real estate sector.

Funny that we complain about China now when China is the major driver of our prosperity.

Swings and round abouts I guess?

Actually the main reason they are easing lockdowns is money. They thought they could pay everyone to stay home until September, turns out it was costing way more than they anticipated and the money wouldn't even last until September.

Aren't less people on the JobKeeper / JobSwitcher bullshit thing compared to what the government budgeted for?

Ditto less super annuation withdrawals?

Junk housing stock.

We really dodged the bullet with the mining boom and the massive influx of Chinese money that propped up our real estate sector.

Funny that we complain about China now when China is the major driver of our prosperity.

Swings and round abouts I guess?
Yep, it's like there is another underlining issue that causes some people to get angry at China and not at the US....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aren't less people on the JobKeeper / JobSwitcher bullshit thing compared to what the government budgeted for?

Ditto less super annuation withdrawals?

Im not sure its necessarily about the lack of money - i think they presumed we would be in a lot worse state than we are and the hospitals would be at the brink of destruction etc so they allowed 6 months.

Fast forward 6 weeks and as you say, not as many businesses qualify as we haven't had to lockdown and businesses are surviving. Now they can see that if things go well, most businesses who did qualify, will be back in business and doing well and in reality wont need the JobKeeper supplement to stay afloat. So they will look to rectify who gets it, if anyone.

Makes sense really - no need to give it to businesses who dont need it.

This is the President that ignored the Pandemic response plan created by the Obama government, closed the pandemic response team and slashed funding on monitoring emerging diseases in places like China, then turned around and said the shitty US response was all Obamas fault.

Trump doesnt address problems, he just blames them on someone else.
Cool story, Obamas 'playbook' could have seen double the amount of deaths, just because there was one doesn't mean it would have been more effective than what the US has done now.

Yes, you do realise its only may? May comes 4 months before September on the calender. Thus my point they can't keep this up another 4 months

They can keep it up for as long as they like depending on how much they want to trash the economy along the way, it's not like there's a finite amount of money in their bank account.

A desire to limit long-term economic fallout and the loss of widespread public support for the restrictions are what's driving this.

Im not sure its necessarily about the lack of money - i think they presumed we would be in a lot worse state than we are and the hospitals would be at the brink of destruction etc so they allowed 6 months.

Fast forward 6 weeks and as you say, not as many businesses qualify as we haven't had to lockdown and businesses are surviving. Now they can see that if things go well, most businesses who did qualify, will be back in business and doing well and in reality wont need the JobKeeper supplement to stay afloat. So they will look to rectify who gets it, if anyone.

Makes sense really - no need to give it to businesses who dont need it.

I agree 100 per cent

Plus the issue with the zombie business thing

This isn't at all accurate, if we started to see a drastic ramp in numbers because people are stupid then it's almost certain we'd see rapid and severe lockdowns. They're moving ahead with easing lockdowns because there's no longer widespread public support for it, there's sufficient resources to deal with the current numbers, and likely they believe they're fairly on top of contact tracing.
We're not going back dude, it's over and in two weeks when my kids return to school my life is back to normal so happy days.

Do your bit for Australia and Australian farmers boycott Chinese goods.
If you want to keep sucking up to the Chinese bully boys just keep buying Chinese goods.
All true Australians will do their bit. Lilly livered Australians won't

Yeah mate, starting a trade war with China is EXACTLY what our farmers want...

Oh wait, no, it's the exact opposite of what they want...

We're not going back dude, it's over and in two weeks when my kids return to school my life is back to normal so happy days.

Im hoping i can continue to work from home for as along as possible......been a breath of fresh air

But i also want to be able to go away on a weekend or go camping - so hurry up and ease restirctions

Why does our stupid Government have to piss China off now when our economy is on its knees? If our economy is going to recover over the next few years we NEED Chinese tourists, Chinese buying our exports, Chinese students ect but our moronic Government thinks a politically based investigation that will uncover literally nothing is a good idea when no other country in the world other than America is pushing for it now.

Idiots.

Cool story, Obamas 'playbook' could have seen double the amount of deaths, just because there was one doesn't mean it would have been more effective than what the US has done now.
The bending over backwards to defend Trump here is Olympics gold medal worthy. The US response has been objectively bad, but apparently a hypothetical Obama government with an actual response team would have been worse? Is that what you're going with?

So we just bend over at every opportunity and cow tow down so we don't lose their trade?
We may as well be absorbed into China.

We were warned about this decades ago by Pauline Hanson and everyone shouted her down.
China has already launched the first warning shot of a trade war. They would be quite comfortable with a trade war with Australia. They may even think it a good thing, and start one deliberately. It certainly will not take much to get them to start one.

If one starts for real, its only months before Australia is economically bought to its knees, and people are protesting for the government to do something to fix it. Chinas people will barely notice its happened. The reason China might be more than willing for this to happen is as an expression of an overt threat. Piss us of, and this is what happens, and the US cannot, and will not, do anything about it.

As people keep pointing out, this is a totalitarian state, they dont give a **** about how much harm they do to the Australian economy, or how much people suffer.

Australia is now in a difficult position. Trump has shown the US cannot be trusted to act rationally. I have no faith a Trump government would do anything to help Australia, if Trump didn't see it in his interests. Even if he loses the next election, the fact they elected him, and he still retains support means someone like him could be elected in the future The days of trusting in a US hegemony are over

The illusion that China is a modernising and moderating power, becoming more like 'us' over time has been shown to be an illusion. They are a totalitarian state, and will act like that if they so choose.

What people seem to forget is, that means they may act that way towards us. They are already trying to control shipping in important international waterways China acting to cut off Australian trade with a blockade, while not remotely likely in the short to medium term, is not impossible.

Just cutting off trade with them to a degree that cripples Australia is entirely possible.

The likelihood that enough resource rich countries would stand up to them to make Australian resources indispensable are really low imop. We are convenient for China, but not essential.

Willie Brandt coined the term Realpolitik when dealing with East Germany and Russia. You have to deal with the situation as it is, not as you wish it to be. We are not taking on China over Covid. We are not overtly criticising them, we are not pushing for an international investigation, we are not embargoing Chinese goods. People here saying we should are like an old man in a row boat shaking their fists at a passing aircraft Carrier, shouting out threats.

What we should do, is double our order of Submarines, and get a couple more air warfare destroyers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back