Review Grose, Bullshite & Useless v Kangaroos 2020...

Remove this Banner Ad

Where is the mongrel at this club? Of course the answer is that we haven't had any for some time. I feel for Nicks really, he is basically a puppet for the massive over-correction that resulted from the fallout of the camp. Coaching ability seems rather secondary at the moment.
This!
Around 12.30 today, I listened to Roo talking on ABC Grandstand, explaining what it was about Nicks that sealed the deal (my running joke is about their squeaky voices, but that's not it). He said (paraphrasing):
" What really stood out was that nobody I spoke to about him had a bad thing to say about him". I was amused and appalled equally, because he didn't say "Coaching ability" or "Mongrel/competitiveness" or "innovative game plan" etc, no, just that everybody liked him.
I thought about Clarko. I don't reckon I'd have much trouble finding someone to say something bad about him.
I can.
He's irascible, uncompromising and opinionated. Quick to anger (throws stuff, punches walls). There's probably more. Hawthorn employed Clarkson and stuck with him, for 26 Finals appearances (16/10 W/L), 5 GFs and 4 Flags. Clarko is the best Coach of the AFL era, say, post-2000. His Assistants have gone on to great achievements, so Clarkson's mentoring is also excellent.
By contrast, gauging from what Roo said, the Crows have hired the Ultimate Mr. Nice Guy, guided for 7 years by Hinkley.

I know who I'd rather have, and who we've got.

I feel for Nicks. Imagine being a rookie coach and being handed this talent less list and a coaching group consisting of Hart, Clarke and Brent Reilly. Going to be interesting watching the architects of this mess (Chapman, Roo, Fagan, Ogilvie) throw him under the bus.

This!
Around 12.30 today, I listened to Roo talking on ABC Grandstand, explaining what it was about Nicks that sealed the deal (my running joke is about their squeaky voices, but that's not it). He said (paraphrasing):
" What really stood out was that nobody I spoke to about him had a bad thing to say about him". I was amused and appalled equally, because he didn't say "Coaching ability" or "Mongrel/competitiveness" or "innovative game plan" etc, no, just that everybody liked him.
I thought about Clarko. I don't reckon I'd have much trouble finding someone to say something bad about him.
I can.
He's irascible, uncompromising and opinionated. Quick to anger (throws stuff, punches walls). There's probably more. Hawthorn employed Clarkson and stuck with him, for 26 Finals appearances (16/10 W/L), 5 GFs and 4 Flags. Clarko is the best Coach of the AFL era, say, post-2000. His Assistants have gone on to great achievements, so Clarkson's mentoring is also excellent.
By contrast, gauging from what Roo said, the Crows have hired the Ultimate Mr. Nice Guy, guided for 7 years by Hinkley.

I know who I'd rather have, and who we've got.
Precisely the player management coach that was needed after the external review, Clarkson has earn respect so players will respond even though they don't like what he says to them but it reach a point where Nick need to deliver otherwise he will be the next Hinkley and only be successful when he is surrounded by competent assistant coach.

On the coaches - Francou and Kaesler, both in demand, walked to the Gold Coast because they could see the shambles we'd become. Mattner possibly saw the writing on the wall and went, or was at the very least sacked but didn't care. Paul Thomas was cut when the COVID costs hit but was very popular and well-regarded amongst younger players and a multi-premiership captain at SANFL level.

Who did we decide to keep?

Former player Ben Hart, former player Brent Reilly, former player Matthew Clarke, Michael Godden (because they couldn't terminate another person mid-contract) and first-year coach Matthew Nicks with no senior assistant.

Once again, the talent walks out, replaced by next to nothing.

Can you please explain how any of these selections are warranted during a rebuild, while the likes of Sholl, Schoenberg, Worrell, Butts can’t get a game?
If we're going to get mauled by 69 points by the 17th-placed side, I'd rather it was with Sholl/Schoenberg/Worrell/Butts in the side. They couldn't have gone any worse than the senior players you mentioned and would have learned a lot.

At the Crows there is no time line and no accountability.

This club is driven by excuses, deflection, spin and self preservation.

It does not have one person with any courage or leadership to draw a line in the sand and say enough is enough.......like it or not we start from square one.

I cant believe we have so many spinless people running this club.
We are at the opposite end of the spectrum when Blight walked in and cleaned house in 1996/97 off season.

with incumbents in place in admin/board there can’t possibly be any cleansing - eg If we don’t play Gibbs it’s admitting we made a bad deal so he keeps getting games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was happy to defend selections when I thought it was simply Kelly for Doedee and Gibbs for Brouch, with both outgoing players injured. Bringing Atkins & Knight back as well was not only completely pointless, but it actively sabotaged a team which was starting to show positive signs. Hell, even Mackay's haters would have to admit that he was performing better than the tripe Knight & Atkins were shovelling today.

This was karma hitting the selectors and board members like a freight train. Dropping, or pretending to rest, young players, in order to bring in proven failed/cooked players, in order to chase a solitary win, was just plain disgusting. For it to explode in their faces, producing the team's worst result of the year, was poetic justice at its finest.

There was no excuse whatsoever for the selections of Knight & Atkins, even allowing for the upcoming flood of games. The club's selectors and board have sown the wind, and now they're reaping the whirlwind.
The issue is that our selectors and coaches are so headstrong that they’ll back those same players in again. Guaranteed.

On the coaches - Francou and Kaesler, both in demand, walked to the Gold Coast because they could see the shambles we'd become. Mattner possibly saw the writing on the wall and went, or was at the very least sacked but didn't care. Paul Thomas was cut when the COVID costs hit but was very popular and well-regarded amongst younger players and a multi-premiership captain at SANFL level.

Former player Ben Hart, former player Brent Reilly, former player Matthew Clarke, Michael Godden (because they couldn't terminate another person mid-contract) and first-year coach Matthew Nicks with no senior assistant.

Wow. Good point. All the former players kept their jobs. How about some diversity in thought / experience.

Don't forget former player Matthew Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

Back