Channel 7 - early verdict

Remove this Banner Ad

Channel 7 has nothing on Ch9, it look amaturish, the cameras are terrible, the score in the bottom corner is crap, the graphics are student like,
Tim Watson is no good, and Rick Olerenshaw? please.

Channel 9 > Channel 7

Live footy on tv just doesn't work, can't beleive the idiot tv moguls are sticking to a dud formula, bring back get smart I say.

I dont mind the actual coverage but ox's and watsons special comments are laughable. Olerenshaw on the boundery line looks like the work experience kid. Id just about kill for silvagni and malcolm blight at this stage and we are only 1/2 into the season.

Soooooooooooooooooo much dead air and general "meh" feeling. For $780 million it doesn't seem like they are excited that they have football back. I long for Dougie Hawkins dulcet tones on special commentary. They also should stop using cheap stock music. 9&10 used current music in and out of breaks and made it seem much slicker.

I dont mind the actual coverage but ox's and watsons special comments are laughable. Olerenshaw on the boundery line looks like the work experience kid. Id just about kill for silvagni and malcolm blight at this stage and we are only 1/2 into the season.

thats what it is!! Ive been trying to put my finger on it all night

Ch 9 was a little too slick and over-hyped, plus they focused on the Ch 9 "personalities".

Don't mind if Ch 7 is a little shakey for the NAB's first night, at least football is the star.

But there's something not right with the colour, it needs more brown and gold.

The picture quality on HDTV is abysmal - not even watchable. A total disgrace - mind you, 7 wouldn't know HDTV if it bit them on the butt, so hardly surprising. Suspect will be watching a lot more games on 10 this year than 7 - luckily quite a few Swans games Saturday nights.

It's only the first game back for Channel 7, they would only improve from here. Just remember Channel 10 we're pretty ordinary the first couple of weeks in 2002 but ended up being the premier broadcaster in my opinion. So give them time, people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

they're over doing the whole umpire mic thing. i'd rather not listen to a player arguing with the umpire, doesnt sound too good. Thankfully heath shaw didnt drop the f-bomb, though im sure its just a matter of time til someone does, if it hasnt been done already.

and what is with hearing the wind in the mic??

bruce is past it. general production and camera angle is poor quality but that may just be a preseason thing...

Hate that far camera view they do. Hopefully it's just a trial (or the ground) and that it doesn't affect any of the real season.

As someone said, lack of special comments, not sure if Ox was the right person for the job, we'll just wait and see.

Great to hear Bruce and Dennis together. Two artists weaving their craft.

far camera view >>>>>> stupid foxtel close ups

It's not that great, but keep in mind that A) It's their first game for 5 years, B) It's only a NAB Cup Rd 1 game and C) It's at Carrara. I'm sure that the camera angles will be better at Telstra Dome and the G. I doubt they will have bothered to bring up the hi tech stuff just for this game.

The picture quality on HDTV is abysmal - not even watchable. A total disgrace - mind you, 7 wouldn't know HDTV if it bit them on the butt, so hardly surprising. Suspect will be watching a lot more games on 10 this year than 7 - luckily quite a few Swans games Saturday nights.

It's not being broadcast in HD.

Watson into special comments, OX to the interchange.

At least Watson is prepared to make a comment and a bit of humour as started to come into it.

Watson seems very comfortable with the Cometi style. OX I'm afraid wasn't up to it.

Being up in Brisbane and not having seen it yet, does the score in the bottom left look like the rugby union one they had last year?

Pretty much. On the graphics... I HATE the fact that when a goal is scored, there isn't a "big" scoreboard that comes up on the bottom. The scorebug just extends out. Pretty dodgy.

I'm wondering if the graphics will be NAB cup only, but I doubt it considering that they are in line with the graphics that they use for tennis, rugby and horse racing. The only thing i could possibly see changing is the colour scheme. black and red seems very nab logo. Gotta say I also don't like the 'cropped-logo-in-a-box' look.

Cameras can't really be determined on this game. wait until a real stadium.

Commentary - as someone said earlier, Dennis keeps trying to bring a bit of banter and humour in as he did at 9, but the others aren't playing along. Bruce started off a bit shaky, but has got better as the games gone on. Dennis is still great. Ox needs time to improve and get more confidence up. Watson has confidence, but can't srting a sentence together without stumbling to save his life. Rick Olarenshaw... yawn.

All in all... I will wait until about round 3 of regular stuff to really make my opinion. I was so looking forward to seven getting it back, but now I'm not so sure. By round 3, with real stadiums and a bit of practice, they should be up to scratch. If they're not, i'll be bitterly disappointed.

Also already over the nab ad with that "gimme that thing" song and also seven using "the real thing" ad nauseum.

This interviewing the players bull********, what a crock. The last player thanking the home crowd for coming out. Home crowd? Dont have a home crowd yet. Perhaps a few Canberra supporters flew up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back