AFL Falling Crowd Numbers

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm absolutely on board with you here. If they're going to insist on keeping it at 20 minutes plus time on just keep the clock running, except for after goals. If the ball goes out of bounds or there's a stoppage in play it's on the umpires to just get the game moving as quickly as they can while the clock continues to run.
We saw shorter quarters in 2020 and it was the pits. Teams would kick 4 goals and then park the bus for the rest of the game.

I don’t see it as an option unless something else fundamental is also changed e.g. no interchange or 16 a side.

I would have thought the Victorian teams supporters would be out in force after not seeing much live footy for 2 years. Obviously not.

Also, AFL games are too long. Most people on this forum have grown up with the game and probably don't agree but to the new and younger generation of fan, they don't have the same attachment or attention span as we do and 3 hours is just way too long.

The 16 minute quarters we had during the panny-d were absolutely perfect. Reduced the time commitment and also reduced the chances of boring blow out games.

Yep I agree, I liked the shorter quarters.

Of course game time would be a lot shorter if they didn't have to wait for SEVEN to play their bloody ads after each goal. It takes almost 3 hours to get through a game and that is way too long.

The AFL Fans Association surveyed the supporters and rule changes and 50 metre penalties were high on the list of turn offs.

AFL Fans Association president Cheryl Critchley says the results underline challenges everyone involved in footy has faced over the past two years, as well as some non-COVID concerns.
She says umpiring and rule changes topped the list, with the ‘stand rule’ singled out as a concern.
“We certainly wouldn’t criticise individual umpires, who are doing a great job under growing pressure,” Cheryl says. “Fan concern was mainly directed at constant rule changes that impact their enjoyment of the game and make it harder for umpires to do their job well.”

The AFL Fans Association surveyed the supporters and rule changes and 50 metre penalties were high on the list of turn offs.

AFL Fans Association president Cheryl Critchley says the results underline challenges everyone involved in footy has faced over the past two years, as well as some non-COVID concerns.
She says umpiring and rule changes topped the list, with the ‘stand rule’ singled out as a concern.
“We certainly wouldn’t criticise individual umpires, who are doing a great job under growing pressure,” Cheryl says. “Fan concern was mainly directed at constant rule changes that impact their enjoyment of the game and make it harder for umpires to do their job well.”

I'm sure the AFL response to any issues with the rules, will be more rules to fix the issues with the new rules.

Yep I agree, I liked the shorter quarters.

Of course game time would be a lot shorter if they didn't have to wait for SEVEN to play their bloody ads after each goal. It takes almost 3 hours to get through a game and that is way too long.
Shorter quarters would be a typical AFL tactic that has already been implemented by many other companies, reduce the size of the product but keep the price the same. It is simply a price increase by stealth.

Of all the problems I see with the current state of the game the length of the quarters isn't one of them. Maybe that's because I don't have the concentration span of a gnat.

You'd have to be incredibly rusted on to bother these days. The product is shit so unless your team is a contender there isn't much point.

And it's not even cheap. You can go see a movie or go out to dinner for the same price or less, which will probably be more fun and also won't involve getting cold and wet.

Cost of living for me, personally, is the driving factor. I know that I am not alone.

I simply cannot justify north of $1300 for memberships for 2 adults and 1 child, and that is before you start talking minimum $50 worth of game day expenses, which is usually a small feed of nuggets and chips for junior + a drink, and a couple of beers/soft drinks for the adults.

On top of a declining product, it's an easily expendable cost.

I'm sitting at one end of the ground.
I am cold and beginning to get wet.
I'm watching ants 250 metres away try to play football.
I look to the screens to get a better view, and realisation emerges that the TV screen at home is just as good as this exercise.
I'm eating exorbitantly priced "chicken nuggets" that taste more like they have passed a dead chook over the top of the doings rather than put any in the mix. Cardboard.
On the bright side, no chance of catching coronavirus. The seats around me are empty.
It all makes perfect sense.... I think.

You'd have to be incredibly rusted on to bother these days. The product is shit so unless your team is a contender there isn't much point.
Pretty much. I thought I'd miss going to some degree this year, even with Hinkley still there. Haven't missed it at all. Even when Hinkley is gone, even if we got Clarkson I don't know if I'd go back to a full 11 game membership. It's been so long since I've watched a full game involving other sides (including finals) that I can't even remember the year. Got to be over 10 now. I don't want to go 'you young whippersnappers don't know how much better my generation was', as the increased fitness and professionalism SHOULD make the game now be the best it's ever been. The continual rule changes and for non-Victorians, reverting to a VFL in all but name, makes it's poor for all and complete shit for non-Vics. If they scrapped all the new rules from 2000 onwards, except the increased protection of the head and strict punishment of behind the play hits, the product would be 100% better.

The only way to level the playing field is getting more non-Vic sides and/or less Vic sides in the competition, even if that dilutes the talent pool in the short and medium term (once the non-Vics outnumber the Vics then some of them can be gotten rid of to strengthen it again). Vlad was never a friend of the non-Vics, but he at least realised their value to the league (E.g. helping us get to AO, despite not caring a shit about Port). Gil I'm sure if he'd been in charge then would have let us die.

For me it's just a case of not caring any more.

It's been obvious for sometime that we are a club that has everything stacked against us and this is never going to change. From the fixture, the Victorian Bloc, standard of umpiring, the ridiculous rule changes, outrageous cost of drinks and 'food' at AO, the constant denial of our club's history and legacy, the absolute ignorance of any football history outside of Victoria, biased commentary, indifferent media, and of course the bullshit coaching extravaganza we are being subjected to.

The sad thing is that this is having an impact on my kids interest in the game. The club and the AFL will lose more than just the older generation if they continue to ignore the signs that the product stinks to high heaven of ineptness and corruption.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shorter quarters would be a typical AFL tactic that has already been implemented by many other companies, reduce the size of the product but keep the price the same. It is simply a price increase by stealth.

Of all the problems I see with the current state of the game the length of the quarters isn't one of them. Maybe that's because I don't have the concentration span of a gnat.
It's not just about attention span, it's about how much of your weekend you want to dedicate to football, amongst all the other competing activities. I would like to be in and out of a football game in 2 hours. It's very rare that I would enjoy myself for a lot longer than that at a game. I grew up with world football, so that might have something to do with it.

It's not just about attention span, it's about how much of your weekend you want to dedicate to football, amongst all the other competing activities. I would like to be in and out of a football game in 2 hours. It's very rare that I would enjoy myself for a lot longer than that at a game. I grew up with world football, so that might have something to do with it.
For me the getting to and getting home from a game is the biggest issue time wise. Having to invest that same amount of my weekend to see less football is not something I want.

For me the getting to and getting home from a game is the biggest issue time wise. Having to invest that same amount of my weekend to see less football is not something I want.
Mainly the time getting in. It's deadtime, that unless you want to risk missing the start of the game you need to be there over a half hour before the siren. Now some is having to get bag checked (as food / drink is so overpriced inside the stadium, so take in), but even there the 'express no-bag' lines are never clearly marked or seem to move that quickly.

If they want to slow the game down, then one thing they could do is reduce how long half-time is. Yeah I get play AusKick at AO is a great thing for the kids involved, but schedule them all pre-game and reduce half-time to 10 minutes. Get more on gates and run them more efficiently and you could lop 30 minutes off the non-football time involved in going to the game live. People don't go for the queue's / half-time entertainment and the shorter you can make the time cost, without people feeling short changed by shortening the game itself, the more inclined people would be to attend.

The exception IMO for shortening the game is if the AFL is willing to adopt some of the things they did during COVID AND increase the number of games.
I.e. below would allow for 'packaging' the game as a shorter spectacle, but not short change fans across a season.

Assuming it remains at 18 teams, then increase the number of rounds in a year to 34. Now obviously games of the current length then would wreck players.
Go to 15 minute quarters - so 3 quarters the length of now. 22 games / 0.75 is the same game time for players as 29 games of the shorter length. Given 34 would be spread across multiple games it's certainly doable.

Structured as:

Rounds 1 - 2 - Normal Friday - Sunday
Rounds 3 - 12 - Do the 'Football frenzy' like during COVID - multiple games across a week - so each team plays 10 times in 6 weeks
Rounds 13 - 14 - Normal Friday - Sunday
Bye 1
Rounds 15 - 16 - Normal Friday - Sunday
Rounds 17 - 26 - 10 games in 6 weeks for sides
Round 27 - Normal Friday - Sunday
Bye 2
Rounds 28 - 33 - 6 games in 4 weeks for sides
Round 34 - Normal Friday - Sunday

Pre-finals bye

Usually 22 rounds is over 23 weeks. This would be 34 rounds over 26 weeks, so start the season 3 weeks earlier. There's two built in byes, but cap players can only play 30 games H&A with no more than 10 in a row. Bump list sizes up by 3 or 4.

So you'd end up with 15 home games a year. Yes, you'd get several mid-week, but now they are shorter they become those aren't such a hassle to get to, as finishing so late. Bonus of ending up with a draw that is no longer so unbalanced. Every side gets every side home and away.

Here is a novel idea, stop the tail wagging the dog and make Seven cover the game as it is presented and not let them dictate. I know money talks but waiting a minute or so between goals while Seven air their bloody adds is a disgrace. The AFL have sold out to the networks and if 24 goals are scored in a game we wait an extra 20 minutes while Seven force feed us Hungry Jacks.

The concept of the game being held up for commercial purposes is a disgrace and doesn't happen in many other sports.

Shorter quarters would not only mean a quicker 'day' but would also mean closer games. So many games are over by 3/4 time score wise.

And it's not even cheap. You can go see a movie or go out to dinner for the same price or less, which will probably be more fun and also won't involve getting cold and wet.

A LOT less for the movies, game tickets cost over a hundred each, add in travel, food etc. it probably costs about $300 a game, an away game easily costs me a thousand.

I don't like to think about it.

I've always loved the epic nature of the length of footy games - and the ebbs and flows of momentum. 16 minute quarters and you don't get games like the Sydney/Richmond one Friday night.
In terms of cost, I find it very easy to spend zero dollars at the game. The quality and price of food and beverages there does all the work for me in keep the credit card in my pocket. I also find it pretty easy to time getting there just before the players run out - don't feel like it's any harder to get to than going to a movie or dinner in the city.

like already suggested, reducing half time by 10 minutes, and halving the the time given to restart the game after goals would take back half an hour without reducing the playing time, which is all that's needed.

The real problem is our team plays shit, boring, predictable footy.

Shorter quarters would not only mean a quicker 'day' but would also mean closer games. So many games are over by 3/4 time score wise.
taking 15 or 20 minutes off the football is not going to decrease the amount of time I invest getting to and from the game. So my return on investment is less.

taking 15 or 20 minutes off the football is not going to decrease the amount of time I invest getting to and from the game. So my return on investment is less.

It’s less time off the rest of my life :).

Its horrible getting out of the city after a game.

Need more trains or set up Busses from right at the stadium like the old bus thing at footy park

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
Public transport as crowded as it is after the footy is pretty darn gross, couple that with $50 min to get in...That's why I'd rather go to SANFL games and just watch AFL games on TV.

Ive gone from a footy head that watched at least 5-6 games per week including Port games so being a casual watcher that only watches Port games. At times i dont even watch our away games and just check scores.
Sometimes when im flicking channels i might watch a different game for 10 minutes before moving on.

Yes i still go to the footy each week but ive gone from it being the crux of my weekend planning to not being fussed if i cant go because i have something else on.

Basically im falling out of love for the game in a big way for these reasons
  • Vic Bias. AFL, media and umpiring
  • Hinkley & Koch and how my club is being run
  • Stupid rule changes (stand, dissent, deliberate out of bounds, nominate rucks, inconsistent everything
  • Rubbish umpiring
  • Entertainment value is poor. Going to the footy is a pretty boring experience these days. Not even the footy is good enough anymore
  • Food and Drink prices at AO are out of control
  • Port being generally shit (Hinkley again)

I still go because my kids love going but i dont enjoy it much anymore. If it wasnt for the kids i'd be pretty close to turfing my memberships and spending the money on something else

AFL in its current form is a terrible over officiated piece of garbage..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back