Traded Cooper Stephens - Traded to Hawthorn as part of Henry/Mitchell deal

Remove this Banner Ad

I think its more likely we give up sav for henry and keep stephens but i wouldnt rule it out.
I have heard nowhere that he wants to be traded or unhappy. The coaches are clearly happy with his development, having the third highest votes per game. He hasn't been stagnating in the twos, he has basically only played one year in them, where he was elevated to the ones for 7 games.

This rhetoric that he is on the table is madness. Why would we trade out a needed player for shitty picks and a bloke that will end up with us anyway?

Henry isn't worth giving up Stephens. No chance.

Goodfellas Laughing GIF - Goodfellas Laughing - Discover & Share GIFs

I have heard nowhere that he wants to be traded or unhappy. The coaches are clearly happy with his development, having the third highest votes per game. He hasn't been stagnating in the twos, he has basically only played one year in them, where he was elevated to the ones for 7 games.

This rhetoric that he is on the table is madness.

I doubt he is on the table but im sure clubs have enquired. The reality is unless it involved 6 (ie 7 and stephens for 6 and 27 or whatever they get for mitchell in that range) i wouldnt do it (6 would almost guarantee clark so that would be the only reason to do it). Hawks have stacks of cap space so no doubt will be chasing mids today but i reckon this one doesnt happen for 12 months

Is there a big market for slow, lumbering poorly skilled mids?
Sydney should be on to it, judging by their skill levels in the GF.

But Stephens isn't slow. Scroll back and check out his combine results. .06 seconds outside the top ten in the sprint and 6th all time yoyo.

I doubt he is on the table but im sure clubs have enquired. The reality is unless it involved 6 (ie 7 and stephens for 6 and 27 or whatever they get for mitchell in that range) i wouldnt do it (6 would almost guarantee clark so that would be the only reason to do it). Hawks have stacks of cap space so no doubt will be chasing mids today but i reckon this one doesnt happen for 12 months
Why would you even entertain it for a single pick upgrade? Would leave a hole in our 18-24 profile.

Yeah I could stomach a Future 3rd, if it meant we swapped spots with the Hawks from 6-7. Guarantees us Jhye Clark, and gives them a former Pick 16 (2019) inside mid, to replace some of their older players leaving, with a decent amount of upside, for not much at all.

If we're guaranteed Jhye, then I could see the rationale behind letting Coop leave - as they play the same position (but I'd much rather keep him).

Sydney should be on to it, judging by their skill levels in the GF.

But Stephens isn't slow. Scroll back and check out his combine results. .06 seconds outside the top ten in the sprint and 6th all time yoyo.
Don't care about what he tested 4 years ago. I've seen him play.

Bloke couldn't catch a cold

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would you even entertain it for a single pick upgrade? Would leave a hole in our 18-24 profile.

Id rather keep stephens.
But hawthorn and us likely want the same player (clark). So i wouldnt trade him unless we get the 1 pick upgrade to get clark if that makes sense.
Obviously you would want the 6/7 swap plus some sort of future pick also.

If Geelong won't pony up for Henry there is no way Hawthorn will pony up that for Stephens.

All things being equal Henry is far more valuable, but he doesn’t have a contract and has turned his back on Collingwood.

Brings their values in a bit imo.

Geelong are renowned for player development and management. Everybody who goes there raves about the culture and the lifestyle (perhaps aside from Jordan Clark).

I do wonder, if Geelong are keen on drafting Jhye Clark after also acquiring Bowes and Bruhn, that they'd let somebody like Cooper Stephens go for a bit less than they'd like to give him a better chance of being an immediate best 22 player? Simple player welfare trade.

Id rather keep stephens.
But hawthorn and us likely want the same player (clark). So i wouldnt trade him unless we get the 1 pick upgrade to get clark if that makes sense.
Obviously you would want the 6/7 swap plus some sort of future pick also.
This Clark thing is a bit of a beat up too - I have not heard anyone at the club say we are set on him or bust. Just noise from the rumour mill. And why would we? We had no guarantee Bowes would pick us and land us the 7 until a couple of days ago.

There's no way we would throw our best midfield prospect under the bus and tell him he is up for trade, let alone a Geelong Falcon boy, just so we could get another Geelong Falcon boy and start from scratch again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back