VFL Geelong VFL 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How has Nick Stevens progressed this season?
I have seen very little of the VFL this year.
I have watched all but one. As I know others have including drunkcat so interested in their views.

I am a bit on the fence. He has had games when he gets lots of possessions and his skills are ok. But not convinced on his football decision making nor what his X factor would be?

Having said that if I was in charge and I felt I had a spot i could use I would rookie him for one more year as he hasn’t really had a crack at it and might develop with 12 months more

I have watched all but one. As I know others have including drunkcat so interested in their views.

I am a bit on the fence. He has had games when he gets lots of possessions and his skills are ok. But not convinced on his football decision making nor what his X factor would be?

Having said that if I was in charge and I felt I had a spot i could use I would rookie him for one more year as he hasn’t really had a crack at it and might develop with 12 months more
Yes i have some worry's about him, last year i liked him his kicking was A1 this year some games could not hit a barn door..Man on man gets beaten all the time, i hope it's 2nd year blues......Don't care if he stays or goes club handles that not me

VFL picked 40 players for the team of the year, we did not get one player in top 40

Surely they could've squeezed in one of the 60 odd VFL listed players who wore the hoops this season.

Surely they could've squeezed in one of the 60 odd VFL listed players who wore the hoops this season.
We didn’t have a lot of VFL listed winners this year…but I did think that Chalcraft was pretty solid across the games I saw this year.

Not final 23 worthy but the squad could be argued successfully IMO.

Go Catters

Having watched then last game replay.. I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say that Neale can play the Rohan role next year and Rohan to be moved on.

Neale is as a good a kick as Rohan. He is as good a mark as Rohan and crashes packs the same way.
For his size, his ability to exert defensive pressure in F50 is good - nowhere near Rohan in terms of pace clearly - but the intent and work rate IMO is good.
With Miers, Close, Stengle et al at the fall of the ball the loss of Rohans pace can be covered and we need to keep Neale getting games for the eventual Hawkins departure. And If that means we have to move Rohan on.. then so be it.

Go Catters

Having watched then last game replay.. I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say that Neale can play the Rohan role next year and Rohan to be moved on.

Neale is as a good a kick as Rohan. He is as good a mark as Rohan and crashes packs the same way.
For his size, his ability to exert defensive pressure in F50 is good - nowhere near Rohan in terms of pace clearly - but the intent and work rate IMO is good.
With Miers, Close, Stengle et al at the fall of the ball the loss of Rohans pace can be covered and we need to keep Neale getting games for the eventual Hawkins departure. And If that means we have to move Rohan on.. then so be it.

Go Catters

Interesting call, but I don't see how he gets much of a run otherwise - and he has to be given a good stint considering he's out of contract at the end of next year. Assuming Hawk and Cameron stay uninjured, it wouldn't make sense to drop them just so Neale can get a game... so yeah, Rohan would probably be the "expendable" one in the forward line right now.

That said, win the flag in the next 4 weeks and it might shake out a few players anyway.

Go Catters
I like the idea that we slot him straight in. Makes the forward line pretty different.

I have been wondering though how we get games into midfielder kids. I'd been thinking I'd like to see a few games from Willis, Dempsey, Whyte, Knevitt there.

But if retention of Neale is at all at stake then it's a good idea. He looks pretty special and guys with his skill set don't grow on trees

28th minute of the 4th. Just had to hold out a couple more minutes
The fact he can't put any weight through that leg either and is being carried off shows the seriousness

And would hurt even more with Carlton winning

So I know the VFL is over…but I understand there is a closed session scratch match tomorrow morning against Bulldogs. Logic is that both teams are in AFL final but not VFL….made sense when I first heard about it…

What is very strange though is that I understand none of the 4 emergencies are playing. Understand they normally hold back 2 (sub and a holdover) but I now do not see the point of playing a VFL game when none of those who have any chance of selection (ie. the 4 emergencies) are actually playing in order to press for selection and keep match fit..

I suppose the only logic left is in the (very very unlikely) event we have more than 4 injuries it keeps that next level afl listed player in the mix?

Personally if I was one of those emergencies (and know I am not the sub) I would want to play the VFL game to keep myself relevant rather than have another week Off

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So I know the VFL is over…but I understand there is a closed session scratch match tomorrow morning against Bulldogs. Logic is that both teams are in AFL final but not VFL….made sense when I first heard about it…

What is very strange though is that I understand none of the 4 emergencies are playing. Understand they normally hold back 2 (sub and a holdover) but I now do not see the point of playing a VFL game when none of those who have any chance of selection (ie. the 4 emergencies) are actually playing in order to press for selection and keep match fit..

I suppose the only logic left is in the (very very unlikely) event we have more than 4 injuries it keeps that next level afl listed player in the mix?

Personally if I was one of those emergencies (and know I am not the sub) I would want to play the VFL game to keep myself relevant rather than have another week Off
It is just for Sav, Scott wants Sav to keep playing just in case

Me too especially if i was menegola. Very odd.

So that feels about right. The VFL boys in the top 3 played 17 or 18 of possible 18, and Jye certaintly had most impact as midfleider - in particular in the first half of the year. Ling and McLachlan also found the ball a lot throughout the year with Ben and Dan having a handful of games where they impacted.

Of the AFL boys that feels about right with Francis having some good games - he is too strong for VFL and Shannon and Ollie doing well considering Shannon would have missed a few games and Ollie missed about 6 I think of the 18 (for AFL game or emergency).

Nick Stevens is interesting as I think he played most games and as a half backer was around the ball a lot so I might have expected him to be higher…

So that feels about right. The VFL boys in the top 3 played 17 or 18 of possible 18, and Jye certaintly had most impact as midfleider - in particular in the first half of the year. Ling and McLachlan also found the ball a lot throughout the year with Ben and Dan having a handful of games where they impacted.

Of the AFL boys that feels about right with Francis having some good games - he is too strong for VFL and Shannon and Ollie doing well considering Shannon would have missed a few games and Ollie missed about 6 I think of the 18 (for AFL game or emergency).

Nick Stevens is interesting as I think he played most games and as a half backer was around the ball a lot so I might have expected him to be higher…

On a draft podcast they interviewed chalcraft and he played with broken ribs for the first half of the season with a moulded guard on to protect the area.

Broke 2 ribs in the last practice match and played rnd1 and then had them cross up at work getting off a roof so had to miss rnd 2.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

View attachment 1523051

Other clubs throw their kids in early. Ours cut their teeth at the level below.

Most on that list make sense.
  • Atkins was a VFL player before being drafted
  • Guthrie was physically miles off when drafted
  • Bews was a late bloomer
  • O'Connor had to learn the game

But why the hell is Henry on 14 games on this list? I would have though pretty much every player we've got other than maybe Selwood played more VFL than that. No way is he sixth highest.

New VFL Coach for 2023

GEELONG is pleased to announce the appointment of Mark Corrigan to the role of VFL Senior Coach for the next three seasons.

Corrigan joins the Club from Casey Demons, where he coached the team to the VFL Premiership this season. He joined the Dees in 2021 and was able to achieve the ultimate success in just his second season.

Current VFL coach Shane O’Bree, who has been with Geelong since 2012, and VFL coach since 2016, will remain with the Cats and move into the newly created role of AFL Midfield and List assistant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back