VFL Geelong VFL 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a grab for Geelong!!!
Not often a team can grab the reigning Premiership coach out of a side.

A fantastic effort from the club, would be able to bring some good Melbourne IP across as well

So midfield rotations: guys that didn't play in the 22 in the gf (so Parfitt down)

We have:

Holmes
Parfitt
Stephens
Bowes
Bruhn
Willis
Kroeger
Knevitt
Dempsey

Clark
Clohesy
Cooper Whyte was probably our best VFL midfielder before he got injured. If he's fit he should be right up there.

I don't know much about Corrigan but he seems to have worked his way up in the system. Impressive.
Was a great player for us, very cool he's come back as a coach.

Cooper Whyte was probably our best VFL midfielder before he got injured. If he's fit he should be right up there.

Was a great player for us, very cool he's come back as a coach.
Watched them half a dozen times through juniors, I thought Whyte was better than Knevitt every time. Looking forward to seeing him play a bit more and to see how he progresses.

haha and some laughed at me, we needed a new coach
I didn’t laugh - certainly not after going to watch them against Coburg in Ballarat! Needed a change

Having said that I am glad Cheese is staying with the cats as the players love his development work - might be better at that than coaching a team?

View attachment 1535530
AFL midfield and list assistant - Does this mean we are going back to line coaches?
I wondered the same. I can’t imagine is as they were so bullish on the impact of the change.

What I heard is his focus is on development of the young players. Given most are midfielders maybe that is the title hint? No Idea what list assistant is other than helping Mackie out?

So it isn’t out of the question that the first round of the VFL has the following names running around

Bruhn, Ollie H, Ollie D, Bowes, Pick 7 (!), Neale, Cegla, Toby, Whyte, Mitch, “Bruce”, Kroeget, Simpson, Sav, Mckenna, Ricardi? and some (outstanding new) rookie we have yet to fall in love with…

In addition to the Top 6 in this years VFL best and fairest (chalcraft, Ling, Maclaughlan, Boyd and Capiron).

That is 23 players right there and a pretty good team - coached by premiership coach from 22. VFL could be fun

(understand some will be injured or maybe playing afl for injured players…but)

So it isn’t out of the question that the first round of the VFL has the following names running around

Bruhn, Ollie H, Ollie D, Bowes, Pick 7 (!), Neale, Cegla, Toby, Whyte, Mitch, “Bruce”, Kroeget, Simpson, Sav, Mckenna, Ricardi? and some (outstanding new) rookie we have yet to fall in love with…

In addition to the Top 6 in this years VFL best and fairest (chalcraft, Ling, Maclaughlan, Boyd and Capiron).

That is 23 players right there and a pretty good team - coached by premiership coach from 22. VFL could be fun

(understand some will be injured or maybe playing afl for injured players…but)

Is it 100% confirmed we'll be getting McKenna? I know we're thinking about it, but haven't seen anything official yet.

Reckon he they should consider training him to play as a small defender. With so many mids in our squad he might have better long term prospects playing down back. Aside from Bews we are very thin with this type of player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wondered the same. I can’t imagine is as they were so bullish on the impact of the change.

What I heard is his focus is on development of the young players. Given most are midfielders maybe that is the title hint? No Idea what list assistant is other than helping Mackie out?
The club always had line coaches. The same coach took line meetings, trainings, etc for each position, they just didn't hold official titles. I believe Shane is set to give Grigg a hand with the midfield and step away from the development role he had previously.

List assistant would be assisting with recruiting, so yes, helping Mackie and Wells

Reckon he they should consider training him to play as a small defender. With so many mids in our squad he might have better long term prospects playing down back. Aside from Bews we are very thin with this type of player.
I think he showed more as a midfielder in the VFL than Knevitt or Willis, but you're right that we're thin down back. Finished the season with Williams, Simpson, Stevens, Sav and some VFL guys as the backline group - Stevens and Williams are gone and who knows if they see Simpson's future there or were just doing it out of desperation (I think maybe the latter). Excluding the 24 we took to the GF:

B: ??? Sav. ???
HB: Bowes ??? Kroeger
C: Knevitt Whyte Simpson
HF: Henry ??? ????
F: Dempsey Neale ????
R: Conway Bruhn Willis
I/C: Ceglar

Few holes to fill at the draft.

Bew at 186s is still a good size as a small defender. WE do need someone in that role. No ide if it him .. I sort of like the Nankervis move of a mature player more than a kid but do we have one?

I think he showed more as a midfielder in the VFL than Knevitt or Willis, but you're right that we're thin down back. Finished the season with Williams, Simpson, Stevens, Sav and some VFL guys as the backline group - Stevens and Williams are gone and who knows if they see Simpson's future there or were just doing it out of desperation (I think maybe the latter). Excluding the 24 we took to the GF:

I only saw a bit of him before he went down injured but I agree he was showing better form at the time than many of the other youngsters. My point about training to be a small defender was really out of necessity as well as finding a position that he can have to himself (so to speak). I reckon he has the attributes to make a decent small defender too.

Reckon they will try Dempsey more permanently on the wing in VFL. Played the last 3-4 games on wing (after rotating through midflI’ll d/forward) and his last 2 games were his best since his first few. I think his shot in 2024 is as a smith replacement

I also thing Knevitt needs to develop as inside mid if he is to have a shot at playing higher…of course depending on putting on some weight…

otherwise that is a pretty good VFL team when you add in pick 7 plus a handful of strong VFL listed players

Bew at 186s is still a good size as a small defender. WE do need someone in that role. No ide if it him .. I sort of like the Nankervis move of a mature player more than a kid but do we have one?
Generally it's pretty easy to make a defender out of a mid. Corey Enright and Josh Hunt were both midfielders at draft.

McKenna as a running defender is an obvious potential replacement for Bews and (to a lesser extent) O'Connor.
He is an inch shorter than Bews, but he's a good kick, better overhead than either of them, and much, much faster (Wojcinski-fast).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back