Player Watch Welcome Max Ramsden, Pick 6 2022 MSD - Debuts!

Remove this Banner Ad

Still a few years in the making but good for a taste. Had some nice efforts and will have plenty of learning points from the game today.

Wonder if he gets another go in the side. I'm all for it but I'm not against Rama going back to the 2s and dominating for the entire year.

Things didn’t quite work for him today but it is obvious that in time, he will bend ”things” to his will.

What surprised me the most, given his young age and relative lack of weight / strength, was how effective he was in the ruck: his 9 hitouts won from 23 ruck contests (39%) was a better average than Tim English’s stats (30 from 80 = 37%). Granted Rama was more often up against the dogs 2nd ruckman… but that was the experienced, 207cm, 106kg Rory Lobb who won 6 from 16 = 38%.

Our boy must have some serious ruck craft to win so many contests.

Last edited:

Still a few years in the making but good for a taste. Had some nice efforts and will have plenty of learning points from the game today.

Wonder if he gets another go in the side. I'm all for it but I'm not against Rama going back to the 2s and dominating for the entire year.
Interestingly was probably Ned’s best game of the year, with only some relief from Ramsden. I’d prefer to keep playing ramsden than playing two genuine rucks with Meek.

It will be interesting i am conflicted
Controversial but if we drop Greene for another ruckman, we might give Ramma a matchup that he can exploit. Don’t think it will happen but it would stop reeves from tiring and stretch the opposition a bit more for height. Sadly not sure if meek is a big enough threat as a forward but I like that structure.

Dogs had a good mix of defenders to play against him so it was a hard game to debut. Persist!

Keep playing him.
I understand this idea to keep playing him but I do not concur. The only person who should decide to play Rama next week is the Hawk‘s psychologist Andrew Waterson. Sam Mitchel should be guided by Andrew.

I like that he got a taste and saw what he needed to do to become an AFL player. If I was Waterson I’d let Rama decide… ..but only for a few games.

Note: I would have left Rama in the VFL to develop For a LOT longer.

Comment: one of the many things that the Hawks do that separates us from the opposition is … that we develop our players.

Anyone who wants a win now and struggles to see the journey the Hawks are on can, as far as I am concerned, be pushed overboard = be idnored.

Last edited:
I understand this idea to keep playing him but I do not concur. The only person who should decide to play Rama next week is the Hawk‘s psychologist Andrew Waterson. Sam Mitchel should be guided by Andrew.

I like that he got a taste and saw what he needed to do to become an AFL player. If I was Waterson I’d let Rama decide… ..but only for a few games.

Comment: one of the many things that the Hawks do to the separates us from the opposition is … that we develop our players.

Anyone who wants a win now and struggles to see the journey the Hawks are on can, as far as I am concerned, be pushed overboard = be idnored.

I feel a few games will NOT kill Ramma's confidence, unless you know of a condition he has that no other seems to?

Another game or two will allow him to tweak his game and see if he can adapt. Just like Weddle should get another game.

In cases like Zack Dawson i'd agree. Ramma was by no means smashed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel a few games will NOT kill Ramma's confidence, unless you know of a condition he has that no other seems to?

Another game or two will allow him to tweak his game and see if he can adapt. Just like Weddle should get another game.

Yes … agreed. My post said that Rama would likely ask for another game (and Sam would likely agree) and in my opinion he should get another game.

But unless you are Judd, Ashcroft, or N Daicos , you do not “cut your teeth“ against the best. Let Rama enjoy being great against players in the VFL before he is up against those in the AFL that will hurt him because he has had 1 pre-season.

Rama’s drafting position is irrelevant… he has the talent and the commitment (a 6:05 km shows it) to be a great player.

Luke Jackson is the natural comparison. Luke is tanking for Freo for the money and the draft capital that they paid. We have an MSD that may well be better. And that is Crazy!

Rama may turn out to be better than Luke. Big call but … Luke is not setting the would on fire. And Rama, when he is ready could be anything.

In Baseball every first year drafted player (no matter their draft position) are put through multiple leagues to get to the Majors. In my opinion we have an amazing talent on our hands that needs to go through every part of our development program before we over-expose him to the top comp.

It was ridiculous that we got Rama last year in the MSD.

Now we need to develop him for our next premiership, I don’t give a sh1t about our next game.

You're a lot more exposed at full back than you are as a second tall/second ruck.

It's why I'm a little disappointed Blank isn't getting more games. I was really impressed at what he brought down back for someone with so few games experience.

You're a lot more exposed at full back than you are as a second tall/second ruck.

It's why I'm a little disappointed Blank isn't getting more games. I was really impressed at what he brought down back for someone with so few games experience.
Blanck was good last week in the VFL. won a medal for courage.

For mine he is better than our chaos-guy… even if he is a great interceptor.

I suspect the Hawks are trialing many ideas and players in this development year.

Let him develop in the vfl and dominate . We all know he is an elite runner but it's different to in game running and he was completely out of tickets in the second half. Great to see him debut and he deserved his chance and should get a taste for a couple more games but right now we will get more out of meek. If we were winning more games then we lost it might be different .

No need to rush Ramma. He has plenty of talent, but from what I saw last night he's not quite ready.
Mitch Lewis was very similar when he debuted against Brisbane in 2018. It took Mitch at least 3-4 years to look comfortable at AFL level, and I expect a similar timeline with Max.

Patience will pay-off with Ramma.

Let him develop in the vfl and dominate . We all know he is an elite runner but it's different to in game running and he was completely out of tickets in the second half. Great to see him debut and he deserved his chance and should get a taste for a couple more games but right now we will get more out of meek. If we were winning more games then we lost it might be different .

He’s quite mobile, let the team get used to his strengths.

Comment: one of the many things that the Hawks do to the separates us from the opposition is … that we develop our players.

Sorry but the idea that Ramsden should decide whether he plays 1s or not is absurd.

It's pretty simple. Ramma has now had exposure at the level. Good on him! He now has an idea of what's required and he should aspire to achieve that at BHH. Now is not his time, but his time may come. I'm not as bullish on him as others are, but there's reasons he was overlooked at the draft. His game has deficiencies he needs to work on. Time to get to work!

He was picked to play because of a good run of form at Box Hill. Based on this, one game is really not enough first team exposure to be saying 'we've seen enough' and send him back to the two's. At the very least he deserves to play the next game against Freo.

He was picked to play because of a good run of form at Box Hill. Based on this, one game is really not enough first team exposure to be saying 'we've seen enough' and send him back to the two's. At the very least he deserves to play the next game against Freo.
Suspect they were giving him a taste. Darcy and Jackson is a big ask for a 2nd gamer. Wouldn’t read it as we’ve seen enough, he’s very early in his career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back