Player Watch Welcome Max Ramsden, Pick 6 2022 MSD - Debuts!

Remove this Banner Ad

His first few contests were non events. Outbodied and like a deer in head lights. You could tell the nerves got him.

But he competed far better as the game wore on and he showed more in the ruck than he did as a forward.

He deserves a few games in a row.

Meek had an extended run and has only shown a glimpse of form today. He can do it for at least a few more weeks before he gets the recall.

He was picked to play because of a good run of form at Box Hill. Based on this, one game is really not enough first team exposure to be saying 'we've seen enough' and send him back to the two's. At the very least he deserves to play the next game against Freo.
If you watched his game against Coburg it was okay, but I'm not sure it warranted an AFL debut.

Surely this run of games no matter how long it is, will be to show him what's required at this level. So that when he has a rest, he'll be in no doubt about what he needs to work on.

The value of putting games into young blokes when they've shown signs they're ready is invaluable - whether it's 1 or 10. The smart and driven guys will work out what's missing fast, and they'll work to fix it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

VFL - Round 7

21 disposals - 5 marks - 35 hit-outs - 2 goals - 2 behinds
This was his most complete VFL game. Played as primary ruck, dominated the hit outs, was like another midfielder when the ball hit the ground, took a couple of marks in the back line in the first quarter when the hawks were up against it, then went forward and kicked a couple of goals. Very impressive.

I thought Meek was good in the first half and then dropped away - but he and Reeves gave us clearance dominance.

However, I think Ramsden with Reeves may be a better combo against the Demons running rucks next week.

I thought Meek was good in the first half and then dropped away - but he and Reeves gave us clearance dominance.

However, I think Ramsden with Reeves may be a better combo against the Demons running rucks next week.

Reeves has somehow been goor against Gawn…but he’d need to be fit

VFL player by player RD7: Each AFL-listed Hawk in review​

Max Ramsden (22 disposals, 5 marks, 35 hit-outs)​

"Maxy obviously comes back from AFL level and gets the number one ruck spot, which is the first time he has done that for the footy club at VFL level. He took the opportunity with both hands which is full credit to the young man. He has had 22 disposals which included 10 clearances and nine free kicks for, which shows how nervous the opposition were about him when he was around the ball or in the marking contest, attacking the ball at the highest point. He's a deadly target, so a great performance with the right attitude after being disappointed to not be playing AFL footy."

Box Hill have just won their final against the Dogs, and Ramsden showed two things:

1. He's not yet a ruckman or a forward.
2. His old-fashioned ruck-roving in the third quarter almost single-handedly stopped a Bulldogs run and swung the game back in Box Hill's favour. Was the most influential player for Box Hill in the second half.

Box Hill have just won their final against the Dogs, and Ramsden showed two things:

1. He's not yet a ruckman or a forward.
2. His old-fashioned ruck-roving in the third quarter almost single-handedly stopped a Bulldogs run and swung the game back in Box Hill's favour. Was the most influential player for Box Hill in the second half.

Sounds almost like a Jackson level talent based on that description. I guess the question is will he get the size he needs to be a ruck forward?

A key position tall with that level of ball winning ability is going to drive us back up the ladder pretty quickly once he gets going.

Sounds almost like a Jackson level talent based on that description. I guess the question is will he get the size he needs to be a ruck forward?

A key position tall with that level of ball winning ability is going to drive us back up the ladder pretty quickly once he gets going.
Mark my words, Ramsden will push for games in 2024! His going to make CHF / Ruck support his own!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back