Autopsy Round 13, 2023: Sydney v St.Kilda *PRIDE GAME*

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon if HTB and incorrect disposal were paid more often:
1. Players will adjust for the perceived pressure; and
2 Tacklers won’t be as incentivised to always take the player to ground as you won’t necessarily need to to earn a free kick.

Agreed. For mine it's simple. Get rid of prior opportunity (too hard to adjudicate anyway) and reduce the time someone has to get rid of the footy. If you're tackled with the ball, you have a second to get rid of it correctly, otherwise it's a free against. If you're not going to have time to get rid of it, don't take possession. Not rocket science.

Read this thread half the comments are about windy! Short ******* memories on this board windy will be a joint brownlow winner and premiership captain with Owens.

Everyone saying he was going to be Judd, danger, dusty now they’re saying he’ll be seb Ross
It was only one tool who makes a habit of making Facebook type statements then when challenged gets aggressive and personal.
One of the few I had on ignore because his comments were worthless, took him off, unfortunately he goes back on with his mate bergholt.
Make the forum so much better without their blatherings.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

True. I think it was easy to get seduced by the early wins and enjoying us sitting on top of the ladder for a few rounds. The reality is we aren't a top 4 team. Yet.

We are right in the mix for a lower position in the eight come finals time. But there's plenty of other teams in the same boat. It's up to is now to get the job done and hopefully have a better injury run the second half of the season.

Yep I've thought that for a while. We are in a pool of sides that sit between 5th to 15th. There is a top 4 that looks like they should all be potential premiers.

Port, Pies, Dees and Brisbane. Right now that top 4 looks like the best 4 teams. -We are a step off them and we could probably knock one off on a good day but would need everything to go right.

Then we have us in a pool with Adelaide, Freo, Dogs, Essendon, Carlton, Sydney, Geelong, Gold Coast maybe as well. We are in a big pool and we are currently staying up the top of it. Partly due to handy fixturing and mostly through winning some matches that we would have dropped in the past.

Hawks, North and West Coast look like they'll fill the last 3 spots and GWS and Richmond sit between the two pools.

Imagine being offered a job not because you were the best person for the role, but because it meant you helped make up a quota of sorts
It's just important, that's all. Whether it's women in the mens' AFL comp, black cricketers in South Africa, mentally and physically challenged people in big companies etc.

Not everyone will agree, and the standards might be less than perfect - but encouraging participation and giving hope and pathways is a big deal.

Admittedly, I just can't listen to the female commentator who tries to sound like Huddo - name escapes me. But I respect her for doing it. The special comments people don't bother me much. And I think Daisy really knows her stuff, and has played way more footy than most of us, been in the top clubs.

Women's footy has really only just started, and considering that, I think the standard of play, coaching and commentary are really good. Give it another generation and there'll be more choice.

Fairly predictable that Christian would give Butler a penalty. Saves him from having to explain exactly what a legitimate tackle is these days.

Suspect he did it deliberately knowing the Saints would then appeal, take it to the tribunal and let them and the AFL sort out which way they want they want this type of tackle to b ed considered.

If I was the Saints I'd take perverse pleasure in accepting the week and leave the AFL to try and explain the mess they and Christian have now created.

The AFL is scared of the media, they will have charged him knowing it won't hold up but want to look like they give a s**t. The only issue is that it's a lottery as to what will and won't hold up. Pretty sure they just flip a coin.

It's just important, that's all. Whether it's women in the mens' AFL comp, black cricketers in South Africa, mentally and physically challenged people in big companies etc.

Not everyone will agree, and the standards might be less than perfect - but encouraging participation and giving hope and pathways is a big deal.

Admittedly, I just can't listen to the female commentator who tries to sound like Huddo - name escapes me. But I respect her for doing it. The special comments people don't bother me much. And I think Daisy really knows her stuff, and has played way more footy than most of us, been in the top clubs.

Women's footy has really only just started, and considering that, I think the standard of play, coaching and commentary are really good. Give it another generation and there'll be more choice.

She shits me but she's not there to appeal to me. Unfortunately none of them appeal to me. You think Kayo/Fox commentary is bad and then hear the 7 commentary and it's just as bad.

She shits me but she's not there to appeal to me. Unfortunately none of them appeal to me. You think Kayo/Fox commentary is bad and then hear the 7 commentary and it's just as bad.
Same I find her a hard listen but then I turned the cricket on and ch7 have Justin Langer my god what a PITA he is

Same I find her a hard listen but then I turned the cricket on and ch7 have Justin Langer my god what a PITA he is
Agree about Langer on the Ch7 cricket commentary but his mate Haydos is a shocker as well.

And how was that hand ball to winmar in the final passage, idk who did it but that was awesome.

It was Jayson Daniels.

We were lucky he chose to handball and not kick it otherwise the ball would’ve ended up in one of the surrounding house’s backyards, Carlton would’ve held on for the win and we would’ve been crying in our beers in the Social Club!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, wrapped to get the win over Sydney. Was an ugly game, but we showed a resolve and mental strength to push through where this type of game we'd typically fold and be happy with an honourable loss.

Our effort was immense, but it makes me worried as well. You definitely can play with that intensity week in week out. In saying that it's wet weather footy on a small ground so the pressure will be higher.

On the positive side, I think from our players you can definitely say Owens, Nas, King, Sincs and Wilkie are or will be shortly bona fide stars.

Crouch was very good. Ross must be playing a specific role - looked to be doing a lot of directing for players positioning. Also got 7 clearances and 10 tackles so on the eye I thought his game was OK.

Nas, Sincs, Owens, Crouch, King and Wilkie our bests

Ok, wrapped to get the win over Sydney. Was an ugly game, but we showed a resolve and mental strength to push through where this type of game we'd typically fold and be happy with an honourable loss.

Our effort was immense, but it makes me worried as well. You definitely can play with that intensity week in week out. In saying that it's wet weather footy on a small ground so the pressure will be higher.

On the positive side, I think from our players you can definitely say Owens, Nas, King, Sincs and Wilkie are or will be shortly bona fide stars.

Crouch was very good. Ross must be playing a specific role - looked to be doing a lot of directing for players positioning. Also got 7 clearances and 10 tackles so on the eye I thought his game was OK.

Nas, Sincs, Owens, Crouch, King and Wilkie our bests
Every team needs an elite finger pointer. Good to see Goddard having a positive effect.

When are we going to roast Ross Lyon for making jack Steele lose weight? I want him held accountable for breaking my favourite player.

Ross has done some good but turning our captain into this husk is shameful. I’d post the article again but I’ve done it enough
Is this a piss take? Steele is so clearly playing hurt it’s not funny no one’s fault.

Everyone talking about how the game was an ugly spectacle, I personally thought it was a good dour struggle with both teams of defenders giving their all. Got to love how both teams all over the ground attacked players & the ball.
Although I suppose there are a lot of fans who just want the high scoring spectacle, without admiring the work of defenders, the same ones that would prefer to watch the 20/20 bash in cricket, instead of the tussle of test cricket.

Footnote: And yes, I did play the majority of my games as a defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here is a scenario - Player A kicks the ball. Player B (opposition) trys to mark the ball but has the sun in his eyes
and is hit clean in the face by the ball and goes off the ground due to the blood rule with claret steaming from
his nose. The medico on the bench notices something is not quite right with Player B and as it turns out Player B
fails the concussion protocols. My question is - does Player A have a case to answer ?

Last edited:
Here is a scenario - Player A kicks the ball. Player B (opposition) try to mark the ball but has the sun in his eyes
and is hit clean in the face by the ball and goes off the ground due to the blood rule with claret steaming from
his nose. The medico on the bench notices something is not quite right with Player B and as it turns out Player B
fails the concussion protocols. My question is - does Player A have a case to answer ?
Or maybe even the ball, could you imagine the ball getting 3 weeks suspension? Oh my, the uproar it would cause with no footy played for 3 weeks. The Sherrin air traffic control team would have to get to work on a more safer model of football to be played with, bubble wrap anyone?

MagicEraser_230610_113606.jpg

Yep I've thought that for a while. We are in a pool of sides that sit between 5th to 15th. There is a top 4 that looks like they should all be potential premiers.

Port, Pies, Dees and Brisbane. Right now that top 4 looks like the best 4 teams. -We are a step off them and we could probably knock one off on a good day but would need everything to go right.

Then we have us in a pool with Adelaide, Freo, Dogs, Essendon, Carlton, Sydney, Geelong, Gold Coast maybe as well. We are in a big pool and we are currently staying up the top of it. Partly due to handy fixturing and mostly through winning some matches that we would have dropped in the past.

Hawks, North and West Coast look like they'll fill the last 3 spots and GWS and Richmond sit between the two pools.

I agree with our midfield not firing we are in the 5th to 12th group. If we had a couple of elite mids we would be up there competing with the best. I know he cant play everywhere but Sinclair has continually displayed how important he is to our midfield, I think its time he plays there full time. Then if we can get Steele or Gresham back to their best or even Jones back in and playing well it will make a huge difference to our fortunes.

Agreed. For mine it's simple. Get rid of prior opportunity (too hard to adjudicate anyway) and reduce the time someone has to get rid of the footy. If you're tackled with the ball, you have a second to get rid of it correctly, otherwise it's a free against. If you're not going to have time to get rid of it, don't take possession. Not rocket science.

Its something that the better sides do very well and are exploiting the incorrect disposal rule. There players when they collect the ball take on the pressure and as soon as it looks like they mighten get free they deliberately release the ball. The benefit is they often break through the tackle pressure or get their hands free to give it off. Its something our midfielders are really poor at.

I watched the game again last night and Crouch is a shocker at winning the ball not moving and giving a dinky handball to a team mate under more pressure. He wins a lot of first use of the footy, if he could learn to move and use his leg drive to attract a tackler and create space for team mates he would make our clearance work so much better.

The other rule that is bothering me is the inconsistency between teams/players getting away with basically tackling an opponent and moving them off the ball. The umpiring is basically over looking the player who wins the front position fairly, in preference for others who push or scrag their opponents to win the ball. Its almost not a benefit to get to the front position any more?

Last edited:
He’s playing hurt but if it’s true like some speculated that it’s because he slimmed down I want no blame on him. Wasn’t his choice!
We forget that he has had a badly broken collarbone and then a pretty bad knee injury. I'm not sure it has much to do with the slimming down factor, I actually think he looks slow at the moment which is probably from the knee. He is well below his best but it would more likely be because of his injuries than losing a few kilos. Hopefully on the way up and he can build on that second half against Sydney where he was very good.

We forget that he has had a badly broken collarbone and then a pretty bad knee injury. I'm not sure it has much to do with the slimming down factor, I actually think he looks slow at the moment which is probably from the knee. He is well below his best but it would more likely be because of his injuries than losing a few kilos. Hopefully on the way up and he can build on that second half against Sydney where he was very good.
Finally someone talking some sense.

Everyone talking about how the game was an ugly spectacle, I personally thought it was a good dour struggle with both teams of defenders giving their all. Got to love how both teams all over the ground attacked players & the ball.
Although I suppose there are a lot of fans who just want the high scoring spectacle, without admiring the work of defenders, the same ones that would prefer to watch the 20/20 bash in cricket, instead of the tussle of test cricket.

Footnote: And yes, I did play the majority of my games as a defender.
I agree. That first quarter of Port v Bulldogs last night was the opposite extreme. Beautiful skills but a bit like a Big Mac. Sugar hit but then once the effect fades you realise it was only so so. The 2nd half of that game was better as it got more contested. 2nd half of our game was extremely contested. Much better footy to watch than the basketball style game.

On NWM I’m think at his prime he could be a Lachie Whitfield type for us. Moves very simmilar to him.

Listening to SEN this morning, I think we are gonna have to brace for an absolute meltdown on here. According to them the tribunal will have to uphold the suspension according to the rules. I feel like I’m living in cuckoo land. Absolutely flabbergasted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back