VFL VFL Round 14 v Swans - Saturday June 24th. 10:05am. @ AIA Centre

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree - we are very lucky to have these games streamed. Brilliant innovation.
Not sure of their names but the main commentator was very good. Big tick.
However, the special comments person (Gemma ... I think ???) is terrible. Makes the game hard to watch
with non-stop commentary of highly intellectual "football" speak. None of it makes sense. Its simply not needed. Cover the main points of the game and stop trying to make yourself look smart. Its embarrassing.
For example, in the 1st qrt there was a strong breeze going down the Yarra side. Not one mention of it until midway through the 2nd qrt even though passes were bending like bananas and Swans players could barely make the distance from 30m shooting for goal. Unbelievable!!

Same as on Radio and on TV

Trying to make themselves look smart when they just should Be Calling the Game

conditions for the game were not ideal. The wind was crazy all game and especially toward the end. It didn't help the ball as it sprayed it across.

Thought it was Ryan's best game, equal to some of his earlier games. Good judge of the ball, uses it well.

Allan was quiet.
Bianco and Ruscoe were quite solid, Bianco especially in the first Q was everywhere.

Wilson junior got involved late in the game.
Kreuger too, took some nice marks, and kicked a couple.
Macrae was quieter than usual, but elite handball use.
Draper quiet, but did some nice things.
Kelly solid I felt.
Reef had some good moments, and kicked a couple.

Richards came on in the 2nd quarter, but didnt start to get involved until the 2nd half..
Ginni had equal high tackles, and his pressure and chase was good. Should have had 2 goals, but the 2nd, the wind sprayed it.
Begg looked good around the ground and had 7 clearances.
Oscar is definitely more stronger up forward, took some great marks and ended up with 2 goals
Carmy was solid, but some of his kicking leaves to be desired. He tried to run around a swans player, when he had options; and Wilson senior sprayed him for it.

Last edited:
Condiitons for the game were not idea. The wind was crazy all game and especially toward the end. It didn't help the ball as it sprayed it across.

Thought it was Ryan's best game, equal to some of his earlier games. Good judge of the ball, uses it well.

Allan was quiet.
Bianco and Ruscoe were quite solid, Bianco especially in the first Q was everywhere.

Wilson junior got involved late in the game.
Kreuger too, took some nice marks, and kicked a couple.
Macrae was quieter than usual, but elite handball use.
Draper quiet, but did some nice things.
Kelly solid I felt.
Reef had some good moments, and kicked a couple.

Richards came on in the 2nd quarter, but didnt start to get involved until the 2nd half..
Ginni had equal high tackles, and his pressure and chase was good. Should have had 2 goals, but the 2nd, the wind sprayed it.
Begg looked good around the ground and had 7 clearances.
Oscar is definitely more stronger up forward, took some great marks and ended up with 2 goals
Carmy was solid, but some of his kicking leaves to be desired. He tried to run around a swans player, when he had options; and Wilson senior sprayed him for it.
I hope we extend Oscar soon. He looks very good to me. He’s an excellent mark, good kick for a tall bloke. Decent pace too. I’m quietly excited about him and we’ve got him for free

It’s a disgrace.

The outright sexism about the commentators making it even worse.

They were referred to as “these women” or “these chicks” .

If they were male it would be “these commentators” are crap. There’s no way they’d be called “these men”.

One particularly well known idiot even basically said there’s no place for women commentators apart from Sarah Jones. Sheesh

Whenever I read a complaint on here about women commentating- and posters often complain about the woman’s voice - I ponder on the fact that female fans (like me) followed footy for decades before ever hearing a female voice commentating. Not once in decades.

I hope we extend Oscar soon. He looks very good to me. He’s an excellent mark, good kick for a tall bloke. Decent pace too. I’m quietly excited about him and we’ve got him for free
We will. I get the sense they are really bullish about him. His development this year in a short amount of time has been huge, hasn't even had a proper afl pre-season as well.

Ok - that’s not unreasonable.

But I still think making it an issue about sexism/gender is just unnecessary political correctness.
He’s not the one who made it about gender. Difficult to believe anyone would defend the bullshit that was posted earlier in the thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We will. I get the sense they are really bullish about him. His development this year in a short amount of time has been huge, hasn't even had a proper afl pre-season as well.

He has definitely taken big steps in his improvement over the past month or so, and his game against Casey a couple of weeks back looked really dominant. A full pre season under his belt with us, and we could see him given an opportunity at senior level next year.

He has definitely taken big steps in his improvement over the past month or so, and his game against Casey a couple of weeks back looked really dominant. A full pre season under his belt with us, and we could see him given an opportunity at senior level next year.
Gonna be a handful once he grows up imo He's already taking pack marks at 19 years old.

Bianco and Ryan did well stats wise. Kelly got good stats too, anyone know how he went?

Kelly was serviceable, 18 disposals and 6 marks off a wing. He looks the part with ability does Kelly, and he won’t be a dominant force at VFL level, but when he came into the AFL side this year, l thought he did quite well, even as the sub.

Whenever I read a complaint on here about women commentating- and posters often complain about the woman’s voice - I ponder on the fact that female fans (like me) followed footy for decades before ever hearing a female voice commentating. Not once in decades.
It's terrible to hear there call
Best they play football instead .more enjoyable

I'd say Jakob Ryan is the main offender to be pushing a case here. He'd be challenging Markov as his energy and workrate was . And Kreuger, when he was playing in the contested role, looked every bit at AFL standard. Provided he can get his body right. Whipping boy Bianco looked good, too.

Ginnivan wasn't remarkable. It was about on par with what Harvey Harrison produces when he plays VFL. Without the tackling intensity. I can see why he was picked over Ginnivan.

Might go out on a small limb and say that next season, I expect Steene to break out.
Steene as key position?
I’ve stated this previously. Ginnivan needs to overhaul himself in the off-season. Otherwise, 2024 may be his last year at the Pies?

Steene as key position?
I’ve stated this previously. Ginnivan needs to overhaul himself in the off-season. Otherwise, 2024 may be his last year at the Pies?

Steene is a Ruckman 1st but shows that he can Clunk a Mark up Forward

Kelly was serviceable, 18 disposals and 6 marks off a wing. He looks the part with ability does Kelly, and he won’t be a dominant force at VFL level, but when he came into the AFL side this year, l thought he did quite well, even as the sub.
Interesting to see if he holds his place on the list at the end of the year. Has physical attributes which make me think he could be a player.

Steene as key position?
Ginni just needs a big pre-season, get fitter and stronger. No off field incidents and focus on getting better.

Oscar will be a good ruck, but geez he can play forward too, which definitely helps and will help get him games as he develops.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back