Game Day Pies v Hawthorn, 5 August, 4.35pm, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's going to be interesting to see how they manage Cox in the VFL. He's not a full time forward so it means he'll take development time away from Steene and Begg. Given they're playing Werribee, big things are expected. And it'll need to be a two or three week effort to return. Because Fly does not see one good game and go "yep, all g, back in".
He does out of necessity ... AJ got a game from someone injured, but it worked...

T

This is the thin end of the wedge. A subtle way to drop Howe for Frampton in the next games. Last week may have put him in the firing line. Seems it's either a Cox and Howe combo or a Frampton aj combo imo
Father time catches up with everyone and Howe is only different in that severe injuries over the last 3 years have (IMV) only exacerbated a drop off in his athleticism, pace, change of direction etc.

No suitable defensive match-ups last week (Martin got a hold of him in Q2) saw him play Q3 on the wing and Q4 up forward. With AJ coming in, there's no real room for another forward. Let's hope his defensive intensity is improved this week cos in the following 2 weeks (IMV) we'll need another genuine tall defender (Frampton) to cover the oppo talls.

Next 2 weeks (post Haw):
Gee: Hawkins (return from injury?), Cameron, Rohan
Lions: Daniher, Hipwood, Gunston

With particularly a full list to pick from, probably the two expected changes have been made.
Coxy needs a run at VFL level, as his past month has seen his performances decline each week. Hopefully he can put his hand up for a return to AFL level over the next few weeks in the lead up to finals.
WHE bit stiff after being the sub, and after an injury, but to get Hill in, you would think WHE would be the one to make way. Like Coxy needs to find form at VFL level, and maybe put his hand for AFL selection over the next few weeks.
If anything we have some good depth in case of injuries, but hopefully that's something we don't have to worry about!!
Hilly and AJ back, makes us better, l think. Hill's pace, and ability to run and carry, makes us better on transition from D50. Plus his 22 goals this season so far makes it hard to keep him out.
AJ l think should have played last Friday night, but he is back this Saturday, and hopefully consolidates his place in this side. AJ should be playing in our finals campaign and is in terrific goal kicking form at the moment, so he had to return this week.
I want to see a 4 quarter performance this Saturday, and see a nice comfortable win of around 5 to 6 goals.
It's been a fantastic week so far with the Daicos boys re-signing, and that has given the club a good shot in the arm of excitement after the disappointment of last Friday, so lets make it even better with a win!!!!

Ridiculous and biased comment.

I'm not questioning whether or not Will was the correct option as sub last week but I see no issue with 'selection integrity' of selecting him as a sub. Before his hand injury he was clearly considered best 22 by the coaches being selected week after week. The medical staff cleared him to play and he came back into the side. Where is the selection integrity issue here?

If anything selecting Ginnivan as sub would have failed selection integrity. There have been some unlucky players outperforming him for a long period of time in the 2's.

Agreed.

It's harsh to imply that the club doesn't have "selection integrity", especially when we're just fans on the outer without intimate knowledge of the club's strategy. The coaches, players, and staff are all in it to succeed and win flags. A coach is going to play the side that he believes is the club's best chance for success, because in the end that's how he'll be judged.

What one might see as lack of selection integrity can also be viewed as giving players a fair chance before they're dropped.

I can argue that AJ hasn't been afforded the opportunities that WHE has but that's partly on seniority and positional needs, and it exists in every organisation. Nothing againt WHE BTW, I'm a fan and he has given the club many years of good service.

Well, two things can happen this weekend.
We play like we always do against the bottom 4 teams and squeeze in a small win.
Or we have a bolter where we win by a huge margin and players who struggle against quality have amazing games which cements their inclusion in the Premiership tilt. Even if they then perform poorly.
Not happy with the Cox drop as I’ve never seen him live and wanted to understand his whole ground game to see if it stands up to the pressure of the premiership run.

You forgot option (C) we lose.

(Let’s take nothing for granted. We lost to West Coast in Melb last season.)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Father time catches up with everyone and Howe is only different in that severe injuries over the last 3 years have (IMV) only exacerbated a drop off in his athleticism, pace, change of direction etc.

No suitable defensive match-ups last week (Martin got a hold of him in Q2) saw him play Q3 on the wing and Q4 up forward. With AJ coming in, there's no real room for another forward. Let's hope his defensive intensity is improved this week cos in the following 2 weeks (IMV) we'll need another genuine tall defender (Frampton) to cover the oppo talls.

Next 2 weeks (post Haw):
Gee: Hawkins (return from injury?), Cameron, Rohan
Lions: Daniher, Hipwood, Gunston

Hawkins won’t play again this year. That’s his first career hammy. It’ll be a decent one.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bobby Hill and Ash Johnson return to the side, with Mason Cox and Will Hoskin-Elliott both omitted for the match.

Oleg Markov will start as the substitute, while Billy Frampton, Jack Ginnivan, and Mason Cox are the three Emergencies.
COLLINGWOOD v HAWTHORN
BJeremy HoweDarcy MooreIsaac Quaynor
HBBrayden MaynardNathan MurphyScott Pendlebury
CSteele SidebottomPatrick LipinskiJosh Daicos
HFBobby HillBrody MihocekNick Daicos
FJamie ElliottDan McStayBeau McCreery
RDarcy CameronJordan De GoeyJack Crisp
INTTom MitchellJohn NobleTaylor Adams
Ash Johnson
SUBOleg Markov
EMGBilly FramptonJack GinnivanMason Cox
AFL website has Oleg dropped and WHE as sub? But then doesn't name WHE anywhere in the team sheet - not even emergency?

Last edited:
Hawkins won’t play again this year. That’s his first career hammy. It’ll be a decent one.

club has stated likely lower-end strain & he's chance to play next week.

however, if your take plays out I can't say that I'll be at all disappointed.

to be fair, for such a big /tall bloke, his injury record has been astounding, esp when you consider his age.

I’m sure there’s some BF posters who are absolutely thinking it’s Xmas with the outs. Don’t deny it we have all read the posts every single week looking for those outs every week.
I do worry about not having 2 rucks, my game plan would always have a 2 nd ruck/Forward not a forward who pinch hits in the ruck. It’s not as if we have a great 1st ruck, he’s no Grundy, Jolly or Monkey. Whenever we’ve done well in finals it’s with good rucks. Monkey and Charlie were an awesome duo, not AA but mongrels who knew exactly what was needed. Jolly was the missing piece in our 2010 premiership along with Ball and as much as Grundy stunk up that 2018 GF I don’t think we get anywhere near it without him.

Just my random thoughts

Go pies.

Disagree with this. Nick needs to play where we think he's best suited. Nothing to do with the tagger. I think he'll continue to play mostly mid. He's been amazing there and hasn't played enough to get used to the role or build chemistry with team mates. Chopping and changing now will just make it more difficult.

A strong tagger, for me, is an added reason to play mid. The more he's exposed to these tactics before finals the better. As he has in all games he'll play multiple positions, but I still think mostly midfield.

We're best suited as a team with Naicos on the outside of a contest, not on the inside getting bashed up and becoming relative ineffective.

He's an outstanding kick of the footy so let's get him in a position to utilise this skill, to do so we mostly need him at half back. I think late in games is a good time to release him in to the midfield. He won't have copped a battering all game and will still be relatively fresh.

We need our hardened bodies like JDG, Titch, Pendles, Crispy and Tay to really get to work over the next month, so we're flying come September.

The AFL app/website seems to get the team selections wrong every week. The club has posted the team. It's Leggy as the sub. Hill & AJ in. Cox & WHE out.
Good. I would have done slightly different, but very happy with the team. Hoping Johnson slays it up forward and McStay or him hold up as second ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, two things can happen this weekend.
We play like we always do against the bottom 4 teams and squeeze in a small win.
Or we have a bolter where we win by a huge margin and players who struggle against quality have amazing games which cements their inclusion in the Premiership tilt. Even if they then perform poorly.
Not happy with the Cox drop as I’ve never seen him live and wanted to understand his whole ground game to see if it stands up to the pressure of the premiership run.

Giants by 65 points.
Eagles by 63 points.
Suns by 78 points.
Dockers by 46 points.

It's not as if we haven't belted sides this season. Plus, our % is the league high.

I’m sure there’s some BF posters who are absolutely thinking it’s Xmas with the outs. Don’t deny it we have all read the posts every single week looking for those outs every week.
I do worry about not having 2 rucks, my game plan would always have a 2 nd ruck/Forward not a forward who pinch hits in the ruck. It’s not as if we have a great 1st ruck, he’s no Grundy, Jolly or Monkey. Whenever we’ve done well in finals it’s with good rucks. Monkey and Charlie were an awesome duo, not AA but mongrels who knew exactly what was needed. Jolly was the missing piece in our 2010 premiership along with Ball and as much as Grundy stunk up that 2018 GF I don’t think we get anywhere near it without him.

Just my random thoughts

Go pies.
It's bizarre when many now think the ruckman is over rated.. now there are those worried when we don't have 2 😆 both Dan & AJ can help out when required.

My guess is with the next 2 games coming up against Cats & Lions & their forward lines, Big Bill will come in, or alternatively Cox if he regains some form in the 2's.

The thing with Howe is, he reads the flight of the ball well, which is why he is such a good intercept defender, plus he is an excellent kick to position.
The same qualities will be useful if he plays forward.
In fact, he would probably be a better forward now than when we recruited him to play as one, because he's played on plenty of quality forwards and learnt a few of their tricks.
That's not to say we should play him forward routinely, but it gives us options.

I agree with this. If there isn't a great matchup for Howe down back then pushing him forward can only provide headaches to the opposition.

With what he went through at the start of the season, a push forward might just be the tonic he needs to help us toward the big dance.

It's bizarre when many now think the ruckman is over rated.. now there are those worried when we don't have 2 😆 both Dan & AJ can help out when required.

My guess is with the next 2 games coming up against Cats & Lions & their forward lines, Big Bill will come in, or alternatively Cox if he regains some form in the 2's.
Last couple of weeks, has any other team been playing 2 rucks?

club has stated likely lower-end strain & he's chance to play next week.

however, if your take plays out I can't say that I'll be at all disappointed.

to be fair, for such a big /tall bloke, his injury record has been astounding, esp when you consider his age.

Oh yeah, he has been extraordinarily durable. But that hammy was a proper one.

Just my random thoughts

Go pies.
Cameron is a good first ruck. He’s just not on the $ of others. And he’s not playing vfl like some

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back