Certified Legendary Thread 2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup Game 48 The Final India v Australia 19/11 1900hrs @ Narendra Modi Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Captain Pat has copped a lot of s**t (especially in this forum) over the past year.

WTC, retaining the Ashes and overcoming a rampant host nation to win a WC (probably the most impressive) is a legacy cemented as one of our greatest captains.

Pulled the right reign almost everytime when it mattered. Made a ballsy call to bowl first for the final when almost everyone was screaming to bat. great field placing and boing changes to keep India from setting anything above 300.
He does pressers pretty well too ;)

The last four* world cups have been won by the chasing side.

If you want ti include wt20s, the last four of those have been on by the chasing side as well.

Is the old adage of "bat first, runs on the board in a final" dead?

*England doesn't really count

There is a Pakistani bloke at work who loves his cricket - still plays at some level (I've covered Saturdays for him before so he can play, and he's done the same for me during footy season :D )

Anyway saw him this morning and asked if he enjoyed any schadenfreude last night - He didn't say a word, his wry smile was all he needed haha

I know those on this board probably appreciate the significance of this win, but this bears repeating:

• The host country has won the last three World Cups before this one
  • The host of this one were largely untroubled in notching up 10 wins out of 10 games leading up to the final
  • Only one injury concern to the host nation
  • Pitches altered to suit their strengths
  • Hostile capacity crowd
  • Captain going against conventional wisdom and opting to bowl first
  • Bottom of the table after the first 2 games and largely written off by many 'experts'

This ranks as imo the finest World Cup win (and there's been many, obviously). Almost everything was against Australia - but they somehow emerge victors. It wasn't even a choke at key moments - this was just an invincible India being outplayed at all facets of the game after the first 10 overs.

It also rounds off a year where we won the World Test Championship and retained the Ashes. But I guess 'Captain Woke' isn't good enough still...

Gotta love how "tired" england were from the ashes. Whilst we just go and win another trophy to throw on the pile.

Edit: the exact quote: Former captain Nasser Hussain believes the timing of the ODI World Cup after the Ashes left England “physically and mentally exhausted”.
That's a massive compliment.

England were so cooked after a series that they could only manage to draw!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has anyone checked in on Plugger35?

Knowing him though he would be going with the “The Kiwis would have won by more”

Well we did score more runs against India in our semi final than Australia did in the final but unfortunately we conceded more runs too.

Not that surprised Australia won the final with all the pressure on India and I'm also not surprised the final wasn't as close as the 2019 final.

Too much variation in batting and bowling conditions from day to night in India made for a lot of dull one sided games like the one yesterday.

I don't think it was any coincidence that one of the closest games between Australia and NZ was a day game rather than a day night game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back