Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

What do they bring?
The best stat in the game?

Sad isnt it? Essendons last finals win was Way back in 2004....

amazingjoshy , I know you have a soft spot for the dockers.... lol

I know you eagles love to compare The dockers to many bad or poo teams...

Not Saying the dockers mens side is the model or standard of success or consistency.

Since Essendons last finals win since 2004, the dockers have had not one, not two, but 4 different coaches that got at least one finals win since 2005....

That list of Dockers coaches that got at least 1 finals win since 2005.....

1. Chris Connolly: 2006 semi final win vs the demons.

2. Mark Harvey: 2010 elim final win vs the demons.

3. Ross Lyon: 2012 elim final vs cats, 2013 Qualifying final vs the cats, 2013 prelim final vs the swans, 2015 Qualifying final vs the swans

4. Justin Longmuir: 2022 elim final vs the bulldogs.

We've had a grand total of two coaches over that period. And both won a flag.

Three of you include the game Jaymie Graham filled in for Simmo.

Sad isnt it? Essendons last finals win was Way back in 2004....

amazingjoshy , I know you have a soft spot for the dockers.... lol

I know you eagles love to compare The dockers to many bad or poo teams...

Not Saying the dockers mens side is the model or standard of success or consistency.

Since Essendons last finals win since 2004, the dockers have had not one, not two, but 4 different coaches that got at least one finals win since 2005....

That list of Dockers coaches that got at least 1 finals win since 2005.....

1. Chris Connolly: 2006 semi final win vs the demons.

2. Mark Harvey: 2010 elim final win vs the demons.

3. Ross Lyon: 2012 elim final vs cats, 2013 Qualifying final vs the cats, 2013 prelim final vs the swans, 2015 Qualifying final vs the swans

4. Justin Longmuir: 2022 elim final vs the bulldogs.
Wow - reading that made me realise how bad a lot of other clubs actually are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Coasters

Just after your opinions on a fixture setup I’ve been thinking about for a 20 team comp.

Let’s assume it’s Tassie and Canberra that enter the comp.

That leaves 10 vic teams and 10 non vic teams.

The afl create 2 divisions

Div 1 - all vic teams

Div 2 - all non Vic teams

It’s a 24 round season where you play 23 games with a bye.

Div 1, all vic teams play each other twice, home and away every year. The remaining 5 games are all away travels to teams from Div 2.

Div 2, also play each other twice, home and away. And then play 5 home games against vic teams.

West coast travelled 11 times in 2023, this system would see that reduced to 8.

This fixture should see a big increase in crowd numbers, with vic clubs no longer hosting interstate clubs.

It reduces travel for all teams.

Benefits do seem skewed to vic clubs. Is it too much? Could additional adjustments be made to even it up a bit? Maybe grand final location based on best record? Commercial benefits?

Thoughts?

Hey Coasters

Just after your opinions on a fixture setup I’ve been thinking about for a 20 team comp.

Div 1 - all vic teams

Div 1, all vic teams play each other twice, home and away every year. The remaining 5 games are all away travels to teams from Div 2.

Div 2, also play each other twice, home and away. And then play 5 home games against vic teams.

This fixture should see a big increase in crowd numbers, with vic clubs no longer hosting interstate clubs.

Benefits do seem skewed to vic clubs. Is it too much? Could additional adjustments be made to even it up a bit? Maybe grand final location based on best record? Commercial benefits?

Thoughts?
It reduces travel by creating a VFL centric competition. It would be the VFL with TV subsidies from the rest of Aust without actually having to travel there and play games.

While WCE would travel slightly less (11 down to 8) Vic teams (already reluctant travellers) would hardly travel at all.

You say benefits skewed to Vic teams. You're not kidding.

Of all the ideas that have been bandied about for a 20 team competition, this is probably the worst ever.
Wouldn't it make more sense to bring in Tas and Canberra and get rid of the low supporter base, financial drain beggar clubs and reduce the competition to a more sustainable 16 or 14 teams?

It reduces travel by creating a VFL centric competition. It would be the VFL with TV subsidies from the rest of Aust without actually having to travel there and play games.

While WCE would travel slightly less (11 down to 8) Vic teams (already reluctant travellers) would hardly travel at all.

You say benefits skewed to Vic teams. You're not kidding.

Of all the ideas that have been bandied about for a 20 team competition, this is probably the worst ever.
Wouldn't it make more sense to bring in Tas and Canberra and get rid of the low supporter base, financial drain beggar clubs and reduce the competition to a more sustainable 16 or 14 teams?
A 20 team circus or a 10- 12 team elite comp? I guess it's about what the money people want.

Hey Coasters

Div 1 - all vic teams

Thoughts?

Absolutely ridiculous VFL wankfest that idea is.

IF the comp goes down conferences, they should do odds and evens each year so the conferences are ever changing and even.

Alternatively it should split all the teams in all states even down the middle and that means one derby/showdown/Qclash/Darby etc a year so be it.

Absolutely ridiculous VFL wankfest that idea is.

IF the comp goes down conferences, they should do odds and evens each year so the conferences are ever changing and even.

Alternatively it should split all the teams in all states even down the middle and that means one derby/showdown/Qclash/Darby etc a year so be it.

First, thanks for responding. I put this idea on a few different threads and no one offered their opinion 😢

Specifically, why isn’t it good for west coast?

First, thanks for responding. I put this idea on a few different threads and no one offered their opinion 😢

Specifically, why isn’t it good for west coast?
Conferences suck in my opinion. It's boring to play against the same few teams over and over. Also leaves our Vic based fans without any games to go and watch.

Conferences suck in my opinion. It's boring to play against the same few teams over and over. Also leaves our Vic based fans without any games to go and watch.
Plus with the grand final locked in at the MCG until the heat death of the universe it would be nice to play the occasional game there during the season.

Geographic conferences just won't work because of the problems that model highlights. You either have the non-Vic teams doing even more of the total travel than they do already or you just eliminate a whole host of fixtures from ever occurring (Vic at home to non-Vic).

I would like a conference model but it needs to be each conference having 50% of the teams from every state if it's 2 conferences.

If it stayed at 18 teams I'd favour 3 conferences that change each season based on the previous year's results. Play your conference opponents twice and every other team once = 22 rounds. Finals is top 2 in each conference + 2 best other records.

A 20 team circus or a 10- 12 team elite comp? I guess it's about what the money people want.
I think a 16 team competition has the right balance of number of teams for available player talent pool and a workable schedule.
With 16 teams you get a 2 year cycle of 23 game seasons.
Every year - play other 15 teams once (15 games), then
split the teams into 2 groups of 8. Ensure that all local derby teams are NOT in the same group of 8. Play the other 7 teams in your group of 8 a second time and play a derby as game 23.
In the second year play the other 8 teams from the other group of 8 a second time (including a derby), also for 23 games.

That would mean that over a two year period you would play 14 teams 3 times and one team (derby) 4 times for a total of 46 games.
In year 3 start again with the option of totally resetting the split of 8/8.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back