Game Day Pie v Pie Intraclub - Wed Feb 14th. 4:30-6pm @ AIA. Streaming via Collingwood app or website.

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s not just this game, he’s been in the system long enough and hasn’t shown anything. He’s not a tall forward and not a big mid, what is he? Most people on here know my thoughts on Reef, he’s taking up a list spot because there were big raps on him as a junior. Well until he’s a consistent performer in the AFL team not a guy who plays the odd game as the sub, I’ll have him on the chopping list.
With respect, this is a poor take. The kid has just turned 21. At the same stage Brodie Mihocek was playing for Werribee; he's now won the Coventry award 4 years running. Reef has had a terrific preseason and is developing nicely. There's no reason to say he's on the "chopping list".

It's not lack of talent that's the problem for Reef - it's decision making. You could hear the groan from supporters where I was watching, when he missed from 15 metres out early in the first with a kick that didn't make the distance. He can't afford errors like that. After the hype he's been getting, he'd be disappointed today.

It's not lack of talent that's the problem for Reef - it's decision making. You could hear the groan from supporters where I was watching, when he missed from 15 metres out early in the first with a kick that didn't make the distance. He can't afford errors like that. After the hype he's been getting, he'd be disappointed today.
That round the corner kick is usually his bread and butter. He is deadly on his left from that distance. It was windy and Checkers failed to kick a goal from another round the corner kick so something was going on which made it tough.

Reef's problem is that at this stage he doesnt have a role. Take Elliott out of that team which will happen soon at he turns 32 this year, McInness is the perfect replacement. A nightmare match up who is tall, super quick, pressure forward. He can pinch in the middle, be a run with player or be shoved down back as a 3rd tall if need be.

I dont think he is best 23 but in the 24-30 bracket as a good utility who still needs more development in VFL.

I am going to post my views without reading the thread. I watch the 1st session and most of the second before having to go back to work. My view is this match is the one that sorts out who on the borderiine get a gig in the match v NM and who hoping for a list spot stood out so i will comment on them

1 Fin Did everything you could expect. impressive. Will get a game against NM and a chance to press his claims

2 Ed Allen solid display, something to build on, will also get a go against north

3 Reef Didn get a lot of chances but a bit Meh. Too small compared to Johnno and Kregs to get the other forward spot with Miho. Think he may miss out against NM and start season in VFl

4 Kregs solid without standing out, has sze, would like to see him in next match

5 HH goodish day, will start VFL but something to work with

6 Sullivan Looked good at this level , which would be expected, worth seeing if he can step up, give him a spot

7 Sof showed a bit, positions well and makes good decisions, didnt do his chaces any harm, reckon he gets a spot based on today

8. Bytel Quiet, pass

9. Teakle OK , a chance

10 Tew great pick up, will play in 24

Interesting. Bytel was playing on our strongest accroding to the what the club released on their website. If the strongest is Ed Allan ... maybe he won't be signed. Hustwaite probably won't be signed now. Could probably warrant a spot at a cellar dwellar yet to stock up on midfielders like West Coast. Teakle now looks like he's probably done enough to win a deal. Send Begg down back for KPP cover. Teakle becomes forward/ruck. Sofrinidis a question mark. Needs VFL exposure which he'll get at Coburg should he not sign with the Pies. Is he more a MSD prospect or do we take him now for insurance?

Based on all that, we take Teakle, Sullivan and then wonder on Eyre or Sofrinidis.

I don't necessarily agree Carmichael was quiet. Thought he did reasonably well for a guy who cops a fair whack.

I am going to post my views without reading the thread. I watch the 1st session and most of the second before having to go back to work. My view is this match is the one that sorts out who on the borderiine get a gig in the match v NM and who hoping for a list spot stood out so i will comment on them

1 Fin Did everything you could expect. impressive. Will get a game against NM and a chance to press his claims

2 Ed Allen solid display, something to build on, will also get a go against north

3 Reef Didn get a lot of chances but a bit Meh. Too small compared to Johnno and Kregs to get the other forward spot with Miho. Think he may miss out against NM and start season in VFl

4 Kregs solid without standing out, has sze, would like to see him in next match

5 HH goodish day, will start VFL but something to work with

6 Sullivan Looked good at this level , which would be expected, worth seeing if he can step up, give him a spot

7 Sof showed a bit, positions well and makes good decisions, didnt do his chaces any harm, reckon he gets a spot based on today

8. Bytel Quiet, pass

9. Teakle OK , a chance

10 Tew great pick up, will play in 24
HH is one of our most underrated on the list. He took some bounces in the first in a play I liked. If he puts together another good VFL year, should be fighting for chances.

Last edited:
Sullivan the clear standout of SSP players. Fin, Lipinski, Sullivan, Harrison, Carmichael and Dean my most impressive in that order.

Fin brought a little something something by linking possession chains which I hadn’t seen before. Low pressure, but Lipinski setup half a dozen SOG. Sullivan tough, clean and everywhere. Harrison plenty of dash. Carmichael took me back to his first 6 months at the club. Dean still shaky ball in hand, but very solid under the high ball.

The talk of the night will be Fin, but with most going half rat power I don’t share the optimism around him breaking in for Rd 1. It did give me more confidence though that he’ll stand up if we need to call on him early season.
I’ve been skeptical of Fin’s prospects as I don’t think his inside game will hold in the seniors to be that Mitchell/Adams grunt midfielder but if he gets his kinking game going I think he can be player. Only problem is he still has to push out some the best linkers in the comp.

Good to hear Macrae is going well, he's a critical player for our future. Mitchell Pendlebury and Sidebottom need to be replaced
He's ready, that much is clear. They'll have to find room for him if he keeps this up. Big pre-season games coming up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Take it from me. Lippa will not last long with a couple of these guys banging at the door.
It's not that I don't like him.

Keep giving me all the dislikes you want. Just watch.
Lippa is a premiership player and I love him. Unfortunately he will be one of the first to make way for a De Mattia or Edward. Lots of others knocking at that door.

Once 2 new players come into the best 23. Lippa will be one of the first to go. Sadly but this is how it is.

Considering how he played today, i reckon Lipinski is safe for a while, FJ. He is very highly rated by the coach, who if i recall right stated that Pat is our best kick inside 50, and he definitely showed that today. Had a bunch of great assists.

Sullivan the clear standout of SSP players. Fin, Lipinski, Sullivan, Harrison, Carmichael and Dean my most impressive in that order.

Fin brought a little something something by linking possession chains which I hadn’t seen before. Low pressure, but Lipinski setup half a dozen SOG. Sullivan tough, clean and everywhere. Harrison plenty of dash. Carmichael took me back to his first 6 months at the club. Dean still shaky ball in hand, but very solid under the high ball.

The talk of the night will be Fin, but with most going half rat power I don’t share the optimism around him breaking in for Rd 1. It did give me more confidence though that he’ll stand up if we need to call on him early season.
We be not watched the game yet, hope there is a replay somewhere. Your assessment on Fin was my first thought. Intraclub games are not renowned for their pressure.

I always thought he had a good career ahead of him, he was our best performing rookie in his draft year or at least compared to those draft near him!

He should get games, but I’m circumspect. It ss an entirely different prospect against seasoned ball hunters, and I’m not sure he has the strength and endurance as yet. You can only really get that playing at the level.

I reckon he’ll start early in the season play a good 5-10 games in succession then drop off and potentially earn a recall in the back end of the season.

Considering how he played today, i reckon Lipinski is safe for a while, FJ. He is very highly rated by the coach, who if i recall right stated that Pat is our best kick inside 50, and he definitely showed that today. Had a bunch of great assists.
I agree. Lippa looked confident & getting back to his best form today. Leppitsch spoke about the extra work he'd been doing during the pre-season & how his shoulders had affected him last year.

Some of my takes from the game.

1. Fin looked fantastic. Not just because of how much he racked up the ball but in my mind I remembered him as a bit of a one paced player.
He actually showed a bit of zip around the ground.

2. TheGreatGrundy not being able to scroll down one frame on the website to see the "play" icon. I was pissing myself laughing at his frustration. Sorry about that mate. If it was a real game I would of helped you out immediately but since it was just a praccy match I decided to just enjoy the moment.

3. I really enjoyed the commentary. Whoever that was needs to be given a gig at Fox Footy. I also really enjoyed the interviews with Lippa and Bolton. I know some have criticized the media dept but I thought they did a great job.
It's just a praccy game and to be able to watch it with decent camera work and commentary and interviews from the other side of the word was fantastic. I give them a thumbs up on this occasion.

4. Yes it was just a bruise free practice game that doesn't have much meaning, but as a Magpies supporter I was still thrilled to see the team that was made up of Collingwood players win the game.

I agree and whenever you’re beating Nick it’s a notch on the belt, but that’s Macrae’s one wood so he needs to be competitive in there as a minimum, IMO. Where I think guys coasting feeds into that though is the work off the ball. Let’s say Coniglio goes to Nick opening round I guarantee Pendles/ Crisp/ Mitchell are working twice as hard to buffer him off the ball than in a hit and giggle praccy match.

My “hang on a second” moment with Macrae was the running power that put him from contest to contest. Yes he was an AA in his 4th season, but it was what we saw from a young Beams and it’s what makes Daicos such a freak.
Yep top-tier running power is a non-negotiable for a would be best 22 mid in a top 4 team. I was curious but couldn’t tell from the vision whether Finn faded in the 2nd and 3rd stanzas due to bench time or hitting the wall…. He needs to be able to do it for 4 quarters. Promising glimpses regardless.

Freak running power aside, best 22 mids also need 1-2 other points of difference to make the cut long term. Wondering what Fins might be? Showed a hint of explosiveness I hadn’t seen before, but that will never be his 1-wood. I’m thinking he needs to model his game on Mitchell and be that first touch insider. Looked clean today. I’d start him round 1 and give him a stretch of games to see what he can do at the level.

It’s tough for someone with the physical attributes and game style of Finn, there are only really 2 spots available in best 22s for the inside extractor types. Whereas if you’re a player with toe and a nice kick it’s probably closer to 14.

Last edited:
Great to see Nathan being a runner. 👍

1707937616937.png

Ballarat! ... Crack a fat!!

1707938315009.png

Awesome idea to have internal competitions like the recent handball comp and now this the inaugural "Goldfields cup". Would love to know what else they are doing? .... oh hang, it's line dancing. #Bo#BootScootsingWIthTheAFLStarsATTACH type="full"]1905527[/ATTACH]

Awesome to see Fin come out ... just loved his sweet sweet handball and eventual lace out pace. Hopefully he comes of age. Big fan but was fearing he might be one of those players that smashes it at VFL and just can't at AFL. C'mon Fin!

1707939000067.png

Lippa seemed to be everywhere and from the vision seemd to be BOG yeah? Not entirely sure why some BFer's have him as a whipping boy. Just happens I guess. Nice kick from the boundary. If only he did this in the GF (on a far easier shot) instead of his out on the full. 😝

1707939127902.png

I literally lol on this effort from Pendles. I guess if you're a player that has had the most touches in the history of the game and potentially breaking the games record too you're allowed to take the piss on a game that was all over by quarter time. Would have be funnier though if Pendles tickled De Goey instead.

1707939256123.png

This shot by Reef .... eek. No excuse. I like Reef but I still I think he still a fringe player for me and as all know, there is competition for spots. This shot is as bad a fresh airy or massive divot with your big bertha on the opening tee in front of the club house.

1707939445700.png

Last edited:
I agree and whenever you’re beating Nick it’s a notch on the belt, but that’s Macrae’s one wood so he needs to be competitive in there as a minimum, IMO. Where I think guys coasting feeds into that though is the work off the ball. Let’s say Coniglio goes to Nick opening round I guarantee Pendles/ Crisp/ Mitchell are working twice as hard to buffer him off the ball than in a hit and giggle praccy match.

My “hang on a second” moment with Macrae was the running power that put him from contest to contest. Yes he was an AA in his 4th season, but it was what we saw from a young Beams and it’s what makes Daicos such a freak.
Yeah the wow moment for me was that chain he was involved in that started from half back. He got the ball 3 times in that play and then hit Lipinski lace out inside 50. It’s something he wasn’t previously capable of and a testament to his improved running capacity he’s developed this preseason.

Once 2 new players come into the best 23. Lippa will be one of the first to go. Sadly but this is how it is.
Lippa is too highly rated to lose his spot. He actually looks like he's improving. Edward has a long way to go and has plenty of competition in which others are probably ahead of him. Besides Schultz and barring injuries, most players will be biding their time in the VFL. I reckon Carmichael is way ahead of all of them for sheer impact. We will be expecting and wanting to go back to back , so expect basically the same side as last year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back