Game Day Pie v Pie Intraclub - Wed Feb 14th. 4:30-6pm @ AIA. Streaming via Collingwood app or website.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sullivan looks a decent Adam’s replacement to me. Fin has arrived & will play a lot of AFL this year.
Neither Johnson or Reef were impressive. Jordy was prolific & Lipinski was pretty good as well.

Krueger’s ahead of Reef for round 0 on that performance.
To be fair the ball lived up the opposite end of the ground for the majority of the game.

To everyone going negative on reef after that match, his team barely got the ball up forward and when they did, they weren't great entries, so it's hard to judge off that.

Did any of the black teams forwards look good today??
Checkers was solid, but as you said, it was one way traffic for the bulk of the game so difficult to judge.

Sullivan the clear standout of SSP players. Fin, Lipinski, Sullivan, Harrison, Carmichael and Dean my most impressive in that order.

Fin brought a little something something by linking possession chains which I hadn’t seen before. Low pressure, but Lipinski setup half a dozen SOG. Sullivan tough, clean and everywhere. Harrison plenty of dash. Carmichael took me back to his first 6 months at the club. Dean still shaky ball in hand, but very solid under the high ball.

The talk of the night will be Fin, but with most going half rat power I don’t share the optimism around him breaking in for Rd 1. It did give me more confidence though that he’ll stand up if we need to call on him early season.

Last edited:
Nick, Pendles, Mitchell and Crispy must have been going at half pace as Macrae ran circles around them, was BOG.
Bobby was in Norm form.
Quaynor, Lipinski, Cameron and De Goey were all stand outs.
Sullivan should be the first picked SPP, he looks very promising.
Kreuger looked really solid with the large amount of football heading his way.
HH and Ryan also did well I thought

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The talk of the night will be Fin, but with most going half rat power I don’t share the optimism around him breaking in for Rd 1.
There are two pre-season games vs AFL opposition to go before Round Zero, so he will have his chance to break into the side. Fingers crossed he earns his spot on form and not injuries.

To everyone going negative on reef after that match, his team barely got the ball up forward and when they did, they weren't great entries, so it's hard to judge off that.

They perhaps need to juggle players. A one sided game is far from ideal.

Yeah there were a couple of passages where they were slick. Reef gave a goal to someone (Cox?) with a dangerous forward pass. Checkers missed a couple. Carmy missed one as well.

But none of that matters, it's the mix of players we have that are going to be incredible if they can keep a consistent roster of role-players through our firsts across the year. Gives us scope to rest Titch, Pendles, Sidey, Cox and perhaps Elliot during the year.

They perhaps need to juggle players. A one sided game is far from ideal.

Pretty sure players were swapped around in previous February intraclub praccy games - but I may be wrong. The whole Ballarat V Bendigo and Black V White setup seemed a more formal approach this year. I expect it was based on the matchups sought by the coaches.

Saying that, the Black were smacked (I left near the start of the third quarter). But many were not flat out, all were trying to avoid injury, and we don’t know the instructions they were given by the coaches.

JDG looked to be doing what he liked; Bobby was very Bobby, and we love him for it; Fin was excellent as others have noted; and Sullivan is like a terrier. Not much from Reef, after his recent rave reviews.

I'm still sticking to Carmichael as the most likely player to make an instant impact when called to the seniors. Sofronidis looks to have the most upside of the SSP talls. His athleticism and reading of the play is a stand-out. Sullivan is just ready to go whenever he might be called upon. Fin looked really good but he will need to if he's going to be a regular inside mid. A lot to like in a fairly vanilla contest

There are two pre-season games vs AFL opposition to go before Round Zero, so he will have his chance to break into the side. Fingers crossed he earns his spot on form and not injuries.
Who for? I really liked his game it was a great platform to build into the season, but we’re the premiers which makes taking a senior spot that little bit more difficult. Without an injury the only guy that appeared vulnerable beforehand smoked it so Rd 1 will be a stretch.

It’s an enviable position to be in because if he carries it through GWS and Carlton are the only clubs that will send guys out there of that quality to start the VFL season (assuming of course Sullivan is signed and also misses early season).

Also to add to my earlier post both Kreuger and Hill were good, but we’ve seen it all before with Kreug’s and if we start looking for him more (ball magnets poddy was an ok listen) Hill will have a Cameron level season.

I'm still sticking to Carmichael as the most likely player to make an instant impact when called to the seniors. Sofronidis looks to have the most upside of the SSP talls. His athleticism and reading of the play is a stand-out. Sullivan is just ready to go whenever he might be called upon. Fin looked really good but he will need to if he's going to be a regular inside mid. A lot to like in a fairly vanilla contest
Sullivan could play round zero. Same with Fin.

Nick, Pendles, Mitchell and Crispy must have been going at half pace as Macrae ran circles around them, was BOG.
Bobby was in Norm form.
Quaynor, Lipinski, Cameron and De Goey were all stand outs.
Sullivan should be the first picked SPP, he looks very promising.
Kreuger looked really solid with the large amount of football heading his way.
HH and Ryan also did well I thought
Kreuger probably stood out more than Reef and Johnson which says a bit.

Pretty sure players were swapped around in previous February intraclub praccy games - but I may be wrong. The whole Ballarat V Bendigo and Black V White setup seemed a more formal approach this year. I expect it was based on the matchups sought by the coaches.

Saying that, the Black were smacked (I left near the start of the third quarter). But many were not flat out, all were trying to avoid injury, and we don’t know the instructions they were given by the coaches.

JDG looked to be doing what he liked; Bobby was very Bobby, and we love him for it; Fin was excellent as others have noted; and Sullivan is like a terrier. Not much from Reef, after his recent rave reviews.
Only a thought, but the black squad (can’t remember which was Ballarat and which was Bendigo) had Pendles, Howe, Cox, Crisp, WHE, Mihocek and Mitchell v white with Elliott and Sidebottom. That 10+ pre-season and 30+ age demographic is always going to coast more than the likes of Macrae or Sullivan that are really fighting for it. That then feeds into the Reef story which is being overplayed with the significant lack of supply for the black team forwards. Reef had one moment he’d like back otherwise he was solid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back