Game Day Pie v Pie Intraclub - Wed Feb 14th. 4:30-6pm @ AIA. Streaming via Collingwood app or website.

Remove this Banner Ad

Kreuger probably stood out more than Reef and Johnson which says a bit.
The only thing it says about Reef is that he was in the team that wasn’t pumping the ball inside 50 for the majority of the game.

The only thing it says about Reef is that he was in the team that wasn’t pumping the ball inside 50 for the majority of the game.
Sullivan is a gun, and the other thing to consider is he is really good mates with Jordy De Goey. Always good for Jordy to have a steadying influence around him.

Only a thought, but the black squad (can’t remember which was Ballarat and which was Bendigo) had Pendles, Howe, Cox, Crisp, WHE, Mihocek and Mitchell v white with Elliott and Sidebottom. That 10+ pre-season and 30+ age demographic is always going to coast more than the likes of Macrae or Sullivan that are really fighting for it. That then feeds into the Reef story which is being overplayed with the significant lack of supply for the black team forwards. Reef had one moment he’d like back otherwise he was solid.
To be fair to Macrae though, he was matched up on Nick (at least at the start) and was winning clearances at will in the first term. Nick doesn’t strike me as the type to coast, so it impressed me a lot.

To everyone going negative on reef after that match, his team barely got the ball up forward and when they did, they weren't great entries, so it's hard to judge off that.

Did any of the black teams forwards look good today??
It’s not just this game, he’s been in the system long enough and hasn’t shown anything. He’s not a tall forward and not a big mid, what is he? Most people on here know my thoughts on Reef, he’s taking up a list spot because there were big raps on him as a junior. Well until he’s a consistent performer in the AFL team not a guy who plays the odd game as the sub, I’ll have him on the chopping list.

Sullivan is a gun, and the other thing to consider is he is really good mates with Jordy De Goey. Always good for Jordy to have a steadying influence around him.
Sullivan is an alumni of St Kevin's, played VAFA for them. De Goey is also an old boy.

It’s not just this game, he’s been in the system long enough and hasn’t shown anything. He’s not a tall forward and not a big mid, what is he? Most people on here know my thoughts on Reef, he’s taking up a list spot because there were big raps on him as a junior. Well until he’s a consistent performer in the AFL team not a guy who plays the odd game as the sub, I’ll have him on the chopping list.
He is good. Other posters are right. His team wasn't great. Maybe he could have taken more chances but it's one intraclub. They're used internally but won't be make or break.

Write him off at your own peril imo. Stays injury free and he’ll play a decent amount of games this year. Pretty obvious he’s rated highly internally too.

Glad it's not just me. I went around in circles, testing the photos for a link, for 20 minutes, for not the first time on the club site. Why not show some respect for fans and give an obvious link instead of concealing it in a photo or whatever? Seems at times the club doesn't care enough about the fans who would lie down in front of a moving steam roller to help it achieve success.
Not the Club per se, but our Media Department - the same group who gave us the appalling Copeland Telecast last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TEAM BENDIGO

Brayden Maynard – Horror turnover in the second term cost a goal. Otherwise was his usual solid self in defence.

Reef McInnes – Beautiful evasiveness to set up a shot at goal in the first term. Played deep forward for much of the game.

Billy Frampton – The premiership full-forward played all day in defence.

Brynn Teakle (train-on player) – Started the second third in the ruck and showed good signs with his follow up work. Strong performance.

Jeremy Howe – Did his best to hold off an early onslaught from the Ballarat team. Took the majority of first quarter kick outs and was the black team’s best defender.

Brody Mihocek – Played his usual deep forward role but suffered from a lack of supply at times.

Scott Pendlebury – Composed as always. Drifted to a half-forward role at one point and did a heap of teaching from the boundary.

[PLAYERCARD]John Noble[/PLAYERCARD] impressed as he looks to earn back a spot in Collingwood’s line-up. Picture: Michael Klein

John Noble impressed as he looks to earn back a spot in Collingwood’s line-up. Picture: Michael Klein
John Noble – The September heartbreak looked like it had worn off as Noble was a bright light in the Bendigo defence with his usual surge running.

Will Hoskin-Elliott – Rotated between the half-back flank and the wing. One of a number of regulars who might face pressure for a spot this year.

Beau McCreery – Got a run in the middle in the second term but didn’t get much of it and was sent back to the forward line.

Mason Cox – Bit off too much on an early kick and was outpointed by Darcy Cameron to concede a first-term goal. Looked very scratchy.

Aiden Begg – Spent the first two terms up forward, took a nice pack mark in the second and converted the shot.

Jakob Ryan – Played at half-back for most of the afternoon.

Jack Crisp – Quieter than usual for the iron man, largely played through the midfield.

Tom Mitchell on the run. Picture: Getty Images

Tom Mitchell on the run. Picture: Getty Images
Tom Mitchell – Plugged into his customary midfield role but hardly had an influence.

Jack Bytel (train-on) – Largely played on a wing, often against youngster Ed Allan. Didn’t have a heap of it.

Josh Carmichael – Quiet day across half-forward.

Daicos sporting a fresh look. Picture: Michael Klein

Daicos sporting a fresh look. Picture: Michael Klein
Nick Daicos – New hair cut but it wasn’t quite the same old Nick, as Daicos was surprisingly quiet in the loss. Rotated through half-forward at one point.

Joe Richards – Looked slick across half-forward and created an option as an attacking player around a couple of stoppages.

TEAM BALLARAT

Darcy Moore – Didn’t have a heap to do in defence, often found himself manning Reef McInnes. Took most of the white team’s kick outs.

Charlie Dean – Spent a large part of the day on Brody Mihocek. Solid hitout.

Jamie Elliott celebrates a goal. Picture: Getty Images

Jamie Elliott celebrates a goal. Picture: Getty Images
Jamie Elliott – Put one out on the full early but nailed a long shot shortly after. Stayed forward for most of the afternoon aside from a couple of brief runs on the ball.

Ed Allan – Played almost exclusively on the wing, got involved in the play enough early to continue his push for an AFL debut.

Nathan Kreuger – Got on the end of the first goal of the second term. Did a solid job in a spearhead role for the Ballarat side and had plenty of supply.

Patrick Lipinski – All class on an inside-50 pass to Bobby Hill and looked settled in his usual high half-forward game. Won over the fans with a spectacular goal from the boundary late in the clash.

Ash Johnson – Kicked the opening goal of the game and set up the second. Looked like he was set for a dominant outing. Faded from there but a strong afternoon.

Harvey Harrison – Slotted an early goal off an Ash Johnson assist and got into plenty of attacking play.

Tew Jiath – Draftee started on a back flank and draw applause for an early smother. His brother, Hawthorn dasher Changkuoth, watched on.

Sam Sofronidis (train-on) – Played a high defensive role early in the game and got into good spots but will have woken up on Thursday thinking about a turnover at half-back.

Oleg Markov – Despite the eye-catching moustache, not a particularly eye-catching game.

[PLAYERCARD]Isaac Quaynor[/PLAYERCARD] is set for another big year. Picture: Getty Images

Isaac Quaynor is set for another big year. Picture: Getty Images
Isaac Quaynor – Didn’t rack up a heap of the ball but was perfect when drawn into the contest. No reason why he can’t be an All-Australian defender this year.

Bobby Hill – Swooped on a loose ball for a characteristically slick early goal and snapped another soon after. Still in the same form from his Norm Smith Medal winning grand final.

Steele Sidebottom – Like clockwork, the bald head was roving the wings picking up plenty of the ball. Timeless.

Darcy Cameron – Clearly the best big man on the field. Took a big pack mark on the siren to end the first term, which he converted. Impressive.

Jordan De Goey – A class above playing amongst a bunch of premiership players and was clearly best-on-ground. Played on ball all game and looks set for a huge season.

Finlay Macrae was a standout. Picture: Michael Klein

Finlay Macrae was a standout. Picture: Michael Klein

Fin Macrae – The best player on the ground in the first third, he grabbed the first three centre clearances and would have had 15 touches. Has to have forced his way into the opening round mix.

Campbell Hustwaite (train-on) – Saw plenty of centre bounce time but was a quieter player among the Ballarat midfielders.

Oscar Steene – Rotated between deep forward and the ruck, didn’t see much of the ball. Still down the pecking order.

Lachie Sullivan (train-on) – Kicked a nice snap goal early and didn’t make a mistake all game. If the Pies brass are deciding on this intraclub, Sullivan gets a contract given he was the best of the train-on players.

Last edited:
was there this arvo, perched on the hill opposite the Glasshouse.
observations:
  • Jordy will be top 2 in the league by year's end, thank god we paid overs back then to keep him
  • Sullivan was great and will get one of the available spots
  • Fin will be in round 1. A better replacement for Adams, will be a permanent fixture in the team
  • Lipinski was very good, as Leppa said, maybe it was his shoulder hindering him all year.
  • Steele is back to his best, he could go another 2-3 years at this rate
  • Bobby was great and will be so much better for us this year.
  • Cox was poor, easily beaten by Cameron and Steene, poor body language at umpire's decisions as well.
  • Krueger, threw himself at everything. If his body stays sound, he should be in the team.
  • Johnny Noble was one of the only highlights for the black team. Never stopped and look determined.
  • Reef, looked set for a good game after his first 30 minutes. After that, hardly sighted and very 1 dimensional when going for the ball. I'm not sure he's going to make it
  • Elliott was very lively and we will have another great year from him
  • Joe Richards, there's not much of him but he was also very lively. We may have too many of his type though with bigger bodies

Macrae’s bold showing in Collingwood’s intraclub

Marc McGowan

Fin Macrae has staked his claim to be a senior regular for the reigning premiers this year with a starring role in Collingwood’s intraclub match, while a potential pre-season recruit also made a statement.

Macrae – the younger brother of star Bulldog Jack – has played only 12 games in three seasons, including just one last year, since being the No.19 pick in the 2020 draft, but his patience seems set to be rewarded.

Brownlow medallist Tom Mitchell sung the 21-year-old’s praises pre-game, and Macrae backed up the hype by winning the opening three centre clearances while largely opposed to Scott Pendlebury, amid an extraordinary first of three terms.
His running power and toughness were also on show as he racked up disposals at will to be comfortably the most influential player on the ground for Team Ballarat, who defeated Team Bendigo by 65 points.
“[Macrae]’s had a really dominant pre-season. His running capacity is really strong, and he got an opportunity late in the year last year – I think he might have been the sub – but he had an impact,” Mitchell said.
“He’s another player who’s stepping up, and I think other guys like Reef McInnes are going to be really damaging players this year.”
The result, of course, was irrelevant, with the contest most important for the Magpies’ young players, fringe members and pre-season supplemental selection period hopefuls.

Among that latter group, the standout was nuggety midfielder and Footscray VFL captain Lachie Sullivan, who looks the frontrunner to nab one of the club’s SSP spots. Ruckman Brynn Teakle and defender Sam Sofronidis also did their chances no harm, but another hopeful, former Saint Jack Bytel, was quiet.
Norm Smith medallist Bobby Hill picked up where he left off in the grand final with three goals in an energetic performance, partnering the likes of Ash Johnson, Nathan Kreuger (three) and Harvey Harrison in Ballarat’s forward 50.

Harrison is another inexperienced option who looks ready for step up, but is stuck behind the likes of Hill, ex-Dockers recruit Lachie Schultz and Jamie Elliott, even with Beau McCreery being trialled in a new midfield role.

Isaac Quaynor also looked typically powerful for the Jordan Roughhead-coached Ballarat, while Patrick Lipinski kicked two goals and was a strong performer. Jordan De Goey and Darcy Cameron – the pick of the big men, including a strong pack grab and early goal – had their moments, too.

Nick Daicos, playing for Team Bendigo, rarely left first gear but had one devastating run down the wing, before a centring kick, that sent a reminder of his rare ability.

Pendlebury, Brayden Maynard and Jack Crisp were among Daicos’ high-profile teammates, with McInnes lively in attack for Bendigo and Jakob Ryan working hard at the other end of the group.

The notable absentees were Josh Daicos (calf), Schultz – who copped an accidental kick to the back of a knee at training on Monday but should return to full training on Friday – Nathan Murphy (personal choice, related to concussions), and draftee Harry DeMattia (finger).

To be fair to Macrae though, he was matched up on Nick (at least at the start) and was winning clearances at will in the first term. Nick doesn’t strike me as the type to coast, so it impressed me a lot.
I agree and whenever you’re beating Nick it’s a notch on the belt, but that’s Macrae’s one wood so he needs to be competitive in there as a minimum, IMO. Where I think guys coasting feeds into that though is the work off the ball. Let’s say Coniglio goes to Nick opening round I guarantee Pendles/ Crisp/ Mitchell are working twice as hard to buffer him off the ball than in a hit and giggle praccy match.

My “hang on a second” moment with Macrae was the running power that put him from contest to contest. Yes he was an AA in his 4th season, but it was what we saw from a young Beams and it’s what makes Daicos such a freak.

To everyone going negative on reef after that match, his team barely got the ball up forward and when they did, they weren't great entries, so it's hard to judge off that.

Did any of the black teams forwards look good today??
Yep. Spot on. One scratch match with limited opportunities is no way to judge Reef. He is a good option and might still be ahead of Krueger and AJ. Perhaps we should end Pendles career tonight given the big loss his team suffered.

Yep. Spot on. One scratch match with limited opportunities is no way to judge Reef. He is a good option and might still be ahead of Krueger and AJ. Perhaps we should end Pendles career tonight given the big loss his team suffered.
There weren't too many shining lights on the Bendigo team at all, even Nick was nowhere to be seen. I wouldn't be taking too much out of that match.

It was great to see Fin, Harvey, Sullivan, Lippa etc play well & opportunity to see the other ssp's.

Schupie’s statement knowing nothing about what happens inside the club:
I can’t believe that Reef hasn’t been told to be Pendles (or similar hard training - esp running) shadow during pre season.
Every time the player (hard running / extra sessions type player) goes for a run or workout, Reef is there.
I just feel like he needs to run and run and run. This base would allow him to go through the middle more and extra gym to give him the strength to go e his frame to be a beast in contested situations.
Maybe that already happens…it just doesn’t seem so.

Last edited:
was there this arvo, perched on the hill opposite the Glasshouse.
observations:
  • Jordy will be top 2 in the league by year's end, thank god we paid overs back then to keep him
  • Sullivan was great and will get one of the available spots
  • Fin will be in round 1. A better replacement for Adams, will be a permanent fixture in the team
  • Lipinski was very good, as Leppa said, maybe it was his shoulder hindering him all year.
  • Steele is back to his best, he could go another 2-3 years at this rate
  • Bobby was great and will be so much better for us this year.
  • Cox was poor, easily beaten by Cameron and Steene, poor body language at umpire's decisions as well.
  • Krueger, threw himself at everything. If his body stays sound, he should be in the team.
  • Johnny Noble was one of the only highlights for the black team. Never stopped and look determined.
  • Reef, looked set for a good game after his first 30 minutes. After that, hardly sighted and very 1 dimensional when going for the ball. I'm not sure he's going to make it
  • Elliott was very lively and we will have another great year from him
  • Joe Richards, there's not much of him but he was also very lively. We may have too many of his type though with bigger bodies
Lippa will be one of the first to fade.
Welcome Edward.

No going to make a judgement call off one practice match where the ball was barely near him. Let's see how he goes after the North and Richmond games. He has looked good this preseason.

I went along to see a few blokes specifically: Carmichael, Charlie, Teakle, Fin, Kreugs, Sullivan, Bytel, Ed Allen.
•Fin started like a steam train and looked the goods.
•Sullivan was the busiest of the SSPs.
•Bytel had only a couple of possessions that I could see and just didn't get near the ball.
•Charlie didn't do a lot, but I like him. If he stay fit, he gives us good depth
•Ed Allan was consistent without being dominant - let down by his disposal at times today.
•Kreuger kicked 3 I think and two were from strong marks.
•Teakle is competitive and mobile. Liked what I saw.
•Carmichael was impressive. I really liked his attack on the ball and his consistent hard running. Quite frankly, he surprised me.
Best: Macrae, Hill, DeGoey, Carmichael, Cameron, Lippa
SSPs: Sullivan, Teakle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back