Preview 2024 AFL Community Series - Carl v Melb Wed 28th Feb 6.40PM @ Ikon Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah, I see exactly the same issues as last year after we’ve recognised it and “gone to work” over the preseason to rectify them.
Ball movement (aka skills, were atrocious last night) and forward fifty entries/connections.

There’s way too many on here that have an inflated position of where we are at.

I cannot trust them at all, we don’t improve significantly on last night next week and we’ll get hammered

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Is it people having an inflated position of where we are at, or more you having a deflated position?

Clearly not at 100% is not a fact but your opinion, seeing what you want to see ie; blind.
Where is the proof?
Do competitive athletes go out to intentionally lose?
Where our kicks inside 50 hitting targets?
Did we make them look slow?
Did they not miss a lot of set shots that went out on the full to make the scores even closer than they should have been?
Did they not have twice as many scoring shots?

Hard to argue with most of that, but Gov is so far ahead of Kemp in reading the play/fall of the ball, it's a no contest

Kemp impressed me tonight with better desicion making, but lacks consistency.

Kemp and most of our defenders did the right thing by playing inside corridor on their opponents, forcing them to lead to the boundaries, but we gave up too much space

A simple arm across the chest eliminates that space
Let's be honest - the defensive pressure from our forwards and mids was non existent.

Some of our turnovers coming out of D50 or even into F50 were deplorable.

The defenders often had no time or chance.... and a few of those marks - the hands in the back - won't get paid in the regular season.

I think the long kick down the line is a fail to a pack. We wont outnumber because 1) In most cases we have one less fwd than they have defenders and 2) we are slow of leg speed with our midfielders.

The above is literally what the opposition want us to do to initiative their rebound goals.
No, you just don't do it against Gawn....

Gawn aside, Harry will win most of those contests.

And get on with it...

Let's be honest - the defensive pressure from our forwards and mids was non existent.

Some of our turnovers coming out of D50 or even into F50 were deplorable.

The defenders often had no time or chance.... and a few of those marks - the hands in the back - won't get paid in the regular season.

I don't have massive concerns from a practice match, I will leave that to others

Last edited:
Clearly not at 100% is not a fact but your opinion, seeing what you want to see ie; blind.
Where is the proof?
Did they not miss a lot of set shots that went out on the full to make the scores even closer than they should have been?
Melbourne outnumbered us at the vast majority of contests throughout the night. That’s through phenomenal work rate on their part, and the opposite for us. That was our bread and butter last year, getting numbers to contests. That shows that we weren’t going at full capacity

Melbourne were clearly taking it a bit more serious than us. We had blokes laughing after shanked shots on goal and they had flogs like Pickett and Neal Bullen trying to snipe blokes late and get into argy bargy like it was still the semi final.

Not concerned at all about yesterday really. Thought most of our first half woes were on the back of Pittonet getting absolutely pantsed by Gawns, was almost laughable at how dominant he was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne were clearly taking it a bit more serious than us. We had blokes laughing after shanked shots on goal and they had flogs like Pickett and Neal Bullen trying to snipe blokes late and get into some argy bargy.

Not concerned at all about yesterday really. Thought most of our first half woes were on the back of Pittonet getting absolutely pantsed by Gawns, was almost laughable at how dominant he was.
Pickett should have got 4-6 for that hit on Cripps in finals last year....

He's a serial sniper.

Take Gawn out of that game, do they win by 6 goals? No, he dominated in the ruck contests, against an underfit Pitto. He gave his midfielders 1st use of the ball, was back, forward, taking marks around the ground and kicking a couple of goals. Oh, how I wish we had a ruckman who could do half of what Max does!!!!

I've missed this game last night, it could be a blessing in disguise - as I'm not tainted by the way the team played and approached this preseason game!

If anything, it would have shaken off any complacency at Ikon park.

The players and coaches will now have a big season to look forward to, with some tinkering and reminder how easily the game plan can suffer if the players don't bring effort and intensity to each contest

Bring on the real season and the 17th cup :D

Where is the proof?
With about 7 or 8 shots out on the full. Make no mistake. This was a thrashing.

Take Gawn out of that game, do they win by 6 goals? No, he dominated in the ruck contests, against an underfit Pitto. He gave his midfielders 1st use of the ball, was back, forward, taking marks around the ground and kicking a couple of goals. Oh, how I wish we had a ruckman who could do half of what Max does!!!!
100%. Add Gawn to our side and I reckon that alone almost reverses the result. He just dominated.

Thought there some real positive out of the game last night but equally some really concerning things.

I don't think anyone can really say that the team's flat performance doesn't matter as it's preseason. The result may not matter but the performance does. Last year we were woeful in preseason and our game plan was just about kicking it long down the line. We all thought it would change come round 1 but it didn't. We continued to play this way into the season proper and were pretty awful. Hopefully this year our preseason form is not an indicator of how we start and next week we put up some real fight. I feel we've matured and expect us to step it up next week.

The stats on Fox at half time on TV had us behind in every single metric. By the end of the game we'd reduced the deficit but certainly in the first half we were well beaten in the areas that were our identity and brand last year. Contest, clearances, pressure, first possessions and so on. Fingers crossed these things are what we see as a minimum next week against Brisbane and if so, i'll feel a lot more comfortable about early season form, especially as we get some of our injured players back.

Where is the proof?

Could you run all these questions against the final we beat them and perhaps you might get a variation in answers?

Could you run all these questions against the final we beat them and perhaps you might get a variation in answers?
Keep looking in the rear view mirror. We are in a new season now and with that comes expectations. Our current sample size is small, and while I agree it's only two practice matches. The approach and application has been less than ideal. Surely you can appreciate that? On current form we will not win the first two games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back