List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade & FA 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

About 3 times more import and twice as dynamic as Hooper. You guys want him? You guys pay, simple, he’s ours at the moment, it’s up to you to make it happen. We held Dunkley out for two years and will do so again. Dunkley then helped us into a grand final so it was worthwhile.
The key difference is Dunkley was under contract when he first requested a trade so you had a contract to hold him too. Smith is out of contract so there is no contract you can hold him too.

View attachment 1962813
This is a wall in Yarraville of such an iconic image for our club. This kid already has great history at Footscray, his profile itself is super important to us, his potential is far from peaked. We’ve also supported him through some tough times, so probably owes us a bit. If you want him, you’ll have to pay way more than the salt and vinegar chips offered on this thread. He’s ours, we want and need him and he needs us (he doesn’t quite understand this because he is still immature). Develop your own or get discards, it’s worked great recently, why change?

How do you know what Smith “needs”?

Are you close friends with him?

Wait, are you trying to say that the dogs would demand 2 first rounders for a player who’s form has been questionable since the end of 2021, has a history of mental health issues and is coming off an ACL?

…really?

I mean, at his best that trade price might be justified, but Smith hasn’t been at his best for a long time. Any team trading for him will be making a bet they can get him back to his best. You pay two firsts for players at their peak, banking on them maintaining that for at least 5 years, not guys like Smith who might never reach their original heights again.

Hey, I hope you're right, I just don't see it panning out that way

We've got a fair track record of getting done over at the trade table

View attachment 1962813
This is a wall in Yarraville of such an iconic image for our club. This kid already has great history at Footscray, his profile itself is super important to us, his potential is far from peaked. We’ve also supported him through some tough times, so probably owes us a bit. If you want him, you’ll have to pay way more than the salt and vinegar chips offered on this thread. He’s ours, we want and need him and he needs us (he doesn’t quite understand this because he is still immature). Develop your own or get discards, it’s worked great recently, why change?

While I'm expecting the Bulldogs to ask for at minimum a future first round pick (we gave away this year's for Schultz), I"m not sure why you seem to be posting like you're in control of what the deal is?

If any deal happens at all

I’ve changed my mind about Long.

I don’t think Long is a guarantee to be picked up in the MSD. I can also see him being passed on at the end of the year by us and others.

He has enough raw statistics to suggest he’s worth taking a punt on but he also has some issues in his game.

I like Long…

But with Macrae, Sullivan, Bytel…

We’re probably stocked for developing and low to moderate ceiling centre mids.

Much rather they target a gun mid through trade or FA

Which it looks like the club is with its links to Smith

As for mid season draft I hope they go a ready to play mature age ruck or… if possible… a tall forward… even if they only become depth for mihocek and mcstay

How do you know what Smith “needs”?

Are you close friends with him?
He’s a very immature kid really. He thinks he needs to lead this false instagram life, businessman, entrepreneur etc, but struggles with crippling anxiety that a life out of the spotlight except for his football obviously would be best. Until he builds some life skills and wisdom, and starts putting a solid career behind him, asking for big contracts and changing clubs etc. won’t necessarily be the right thing. Look how it turned out for Dayne Beams and Mitch Clarke among others that weren’t there mentally to take on big responsibility.

He’s a very immature kid really. He thinks he needs to lead this false instagram life, businessman, entrepreneur etc, but struggles with crippling anxiety that a life out of the spotlight except for his football obviously would be best. Until he builds some life skills and wisdom, and starts putting a solid career behind him, asking for big contracts and changing clubs etc. won’t necessarily be the right thing. Look how it turned out for Dayne Beams and Mitch Clarke among others that weren’t there mentally to take on big responsibility.

Agree with this… but pies already had this immaturitywith De Goey, Stephenson, Ginnivan, etc

Pies no d!ckhead policy is selectively applied

If they target smith… they’ll put up with his issues

Assuming Smith and Long, I'd love to grab a few relatively cheap 'Unrestricted' Free Agents as well:

Nash 25cm 198cm 94kg He'd be a real coup for the midfield as that hulking mid.
J Jones 25yr 180cm speed, tackling, could he solve our defensive small problem?
Battle 25yr 193cm plug n play for Murphy but he'll cost a pretty penny to pry out.
Stengle: 25yr 175cm You'd love to pair him with Hill but probably doesn't leave.
Florent 25yr 184cm Another one you can't see leaving but we can dream.
Perryman 25yr 187cm Quality run off half back
Himmelberg: 25 199cm Averaging 10 disposals 3 marks 1 goal and about to enter his prime, could we get lucky with another Frampton but up the other end?

Some weird mixed messages coming out from the club; not sure if it’s because some of it is coming direct and some of it through the filter of the sports media.

We would be led to believe that we have said internally “no more trading firsts and future firsts”, but also “we are going to be aggressive in trading for quality players from rival teams”.

“Aggressive” trading to me implies putting significant draft capital (or players?) on the line.

Probably just meaning they can't only rely on low draft picks (if you don't drop down the ladder you never get top 10), so needs a balance with FA and trades. Wouldn't expect they're all in one way or the other.

I guess they look at Geelong the last 15 years. No top 10 pick since Selwood (2006) until last year.

Core of Selwood and Hawkins.
Danger for #9 and #28 (not a future first as they already traded that out for Henderson (#9)
Tuohy for F1 (#16)
Tom Stewart pick 40.
J Cameron a bargain for #13 #15 & #20 (none of those a F1 - mostly cashing in the Tim Kelly trade?)
I.Smith FA.
Stengle FA.

Then Bruhn/Henry/Bowes/Jhye Clark (for #8 which they bought for cap space).

Only 2 F1 traded (i think) but neither of those were for Danger or Cameron,

They may well fall off once Hawkins, Danger and Cameron go but that's the difficulty.

At least starting with Daicos is a good foundation.

Probably just meaning they can't only rely on low draft picks (if you don't drop down the ladder you never get top 10), so needs a balance with FA and trades. Wouldn't expect they're all in one way or the other.

I guess they look at Geelong the last 15 years. No top 10 pick since Selwood (2006) until last year.

Core of Selwood and Hawkins.
Danger for #9 and #28 (not a future first as they already traded that out for Henderson (#9)
Tuohy for F1 (#16)
Tom Stewart pick 40.
J Cameron a bargain for #13 #15 & #20 (none of those a F1 - mostly cashing in the Tim Kelly trade?)
I.Smith FA.
Stengle FA.

Then Bruhn/Henry/Bowes/Jhye Clark (for #8 which they bought for cap space).

Only 2 F1 traded (i think) but neither of those were for Danger or Cameron,

They may well fall off once Hawkins, Danger and Cameron go but that's the difficulty.

At least starting with Daicos is a good foundation.
Just do what we did last year.
First rounder at the draft, FA and medium-low cost trades.

You dont want to have a poor year in 2025 and miss finals and have a pick berween 8-10 and give it away

Just do what we did last year.
First rounder at the draft, FA and medium-low cost trades.

You dont want to have a poor year in 2025 and miss finals and have a pick berween 8-10 and give it away
Exactly. Whatever we've been doing in the past couple of years is working.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is a void in the list of starting mids 23- 28. Smith would go a long way to fixing that. Another bigger body mid wouldn't go astray either but not sure what FA's are available.

There is a void in the list of starting mids 23- 28. Smith would go a long way to fixing that. Another bigger body mid wouldn't go astray either but not sure what FA's are available.
All 25 year old unrestricted free agents in 2024:

Nash (198cm 94kg mid) J Jones Battle Stengle Florent Perryman Himmelberg

Do you know him personally?

Exactly. Whatever we've been doing in the past couple of years is working.

It’s worked because our veterans have been performing strongly. Now we have like 9 players over 30 and their performances are dropping every year.

Looking at the vfl we have little to replace them. Macrae ain’t gonna be a star, Jiath is at least 2 years away from good afl footy.

My brother in Christ, why are you getting so worked up over Bazlenka leaving instead of English or Jamarra.

We wanted Holmes but he's staying so this Mullet with legs will have to do.

It’s worked because our veterans have been performing strongly. Now we have like 9 players over 30 and their performances are dropping every year.

Looking at the vfl we have little to replace them. Macrae ain’t gonna be a star, Jiath is at least 2 years away from good afl footy.
Well I just don't see things as negatively as some .. we will replace our veterans with players who can play straight away, whilst introducing our younger players who are being developed.

I don't expect all 9 to retire at the end of 2024.

Jacqui Louder will work wonders for Baz. We'll look after him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back