Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

When is the last time a gun, much sought after player went to a bottom 4 side ? I honestly can’t remember. It’s even harder for sides that have been down for several years, as opposed to a one off bad season.

Bottom sides are stuck with massive salary space because their lists don’t justify the salary cap floor. Pick purchasing should be permitted to assist with equalisation as the idea 15 years ago that greater player movement will help due to weaker sides having more cap space has not eventuated.
Won't pick purchasing make it even easier for the better clubs to keep/poach the good players whilst the bottom teams get caught in a run of draft picks that leave for success?

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Won't pick purchasing make it even easier for the better clubs to keep/poach the good players whilst the bottom teams get caught in a run of draft picks that leave for success?

You need salary cap room for pick purchasing.

Top teams don’t usually have too much salary cap room.
Bottom teams usually do.

Note that I used the word USUALLY before anyone comes at me

It could but the theory is that by giving up their early draft picks they aren’t getting top end youth and they don’t have picks to trade in stars so would have to trade out good players to accommodate which is largely counter intuitive except for list rebalancing. This means they only have free agency and there is little top end talent available via that mechanism. I think the average is about 5 free agents moving per year.
Right now bottom clubs best asset is salary cap and it’s essentially unusable to better their list position so we simply have to have it.

Spot on. Geelong could win it this year and sell pick 18 to North and use that cap space to sign McCluggage.
No team will ever sell a top 10 pick.

Unless say Worpel or Nash leave at year end, I'm concerned for Ward and think a hard call may need to be made at the end of the year. Our midfield:

Day
Worpel
Newcombe
Mackenzie
B. Smith (by all reports coming)
Nash (less talented but there for his role as a defensive mid)
Finn (if he's tagging)
Hustwaite
Possibly another top 3 draft pick this year, BPA will likely be a midfielder. Understand what happens with our pick could change.

Before anyone says don't write off a 20 year old, I'm not. I think he will be a good player in time. I am being pragmatic and viewing this from a list balance perspective.

My concern is where will he fit in? Yes he played fantastically as an inside mid at BHH this weekend but we are stacked for inside mids. He's been struggling to adapt as an outside mid, could he go past Nash as the defensive mid?

Again, I am not writing off a 20 year old. I want him to have a long successful career in the B&G but I'm not sure positionally where.

Unless say Worpel or Nash leave at year end, I'm concerned for Ward and think a hard call may need to be made at the end of the year. Our midfield:

Day
Worpel
Newcombe
Mackenzie
Finn (if he's tagging)
Hustwaite
Possibly another top 3 draft pick this year, BPA will likely be a midfielder. Understand what happens with our pick could change.

Before anyone says don't write off a 20 year old, I'm not. I think he will be a good player in time. I am being pragmatic and viewing this from a list balance perspective.

My concern is where will he fit in? Yes he played fantastically as an inside mid at BHH this weekend but we are stacked for inside mids. He's been struggling to adapt as an outside mid, could he go past Nash as the defensive mid?

Again, I am not writing off a 20 year old. I want him to have a long successful career in the B&G but I'm not sure positionally where.
As I’ve mentioned a few times now, I have my doubts on him as a pure inside midfielder but he ain’t going anywhere. Hoping he is similar to Darcy Parish who took several years to develop as an inside midfielder and when it finally clicked, he became a gun

Have a sneaking suspicion now that the club are protecting him as he has had 2-3 concussions throughout his junior / senior career. If that is the case, I think that this is the absolute best thing to do for his development

I’m going to hold fire on my opinion on him now and give him a couple more seasons to see how the club handle his development. More confident now that they are playing the long game with Ward. Great signs from him yesterday at Box Hill

While nabbing some FA now would be nice, many posters in here correct that you can't pick them up as a bottom side. Give it 2 years and we can become a top 8 side with what we have plus draftees and a few like Massimo. Then we will have the best facilities in the comp, a top 8 side that is young enough to do it for 6 years and free agents will jump at the chance to spend their prime years contending every year.

Our current list won't be top 4 but we can get to top 8 and prove our worth to free agents to take the next step.

Day
Worpel
Newcombe
Mackenzie
Finn (if he's tagging)
Hustwaite

I’d be keeping Ward and letting Nash walk as a RFA if it came to that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree, I think the same. However by all reports Nash is one of Sams favourites.
I hate this term. He is not a favourite. Given his performance last year Nashy was given time to redeem himself. This week was it. Favourites are not what you think they are just who the coach trusts to turn things around when they are having a bad trot given what they have done so far. His trust can only stretch so far and Wardy did a couple of things last week that meant he wasnt playing this week

I hate this term. He is not a favourite. Given his performance last year Nashy was given time to redeem himself. This week was it. Favourites are not what you think they are just who the coach trusts to turn things around when they are having a bad trot given what they have done so far. His trust can only stretch so far and Wardy did a couple of things last week that meant he wasnt playing this week
I'll rephrase - the coach loves Nash.

I'll rephrase - the coach loves Nash.
Yes It's like me saying Clarko loved pup. Why is that because pup did the hard, grind and dirty stuff. He could trust him to get the job done week to week. You know the non glamourous stuff you don't get credit for in the wider AFL community but is integral in you winning premierships and is highly regarded internally within a footy club.

Yes It's like me saying Clarko loved pup. Why is that because pup did the hard, grind and dirty stuff. He could trust him to get the job done week to week. You know the non glamourous stuff you don't get credit for in the wider AFL community but is integral in you winning premierships and is highly regarded internally within a footy club.
That is true. I understand what Nash's role is which is to scrap, scrag, play on the oppo's best mid and negate their performance. What lets him down are his skills which is no slight on him considering he's played the game for 8 years compared to 20+ for most other listed players. I still feel we need an upgrade here, or he improves his skills by when/if we are contending.

TFP you seem well connected and it seems like the club rate Ward highly. Do you see him as part of the inside midfield rotation in the next year or two?

That is true. I understand what Nash's role is which is to scrap, scrag, play on the oppo's best mid and negate their performance. What lets him down are his skills which is no slight on him considering he's played the game for 8 years compared to 20+ for most other listed players. I still feel we need an upgrade here, or he improves his skills by when/if we are contending.

TFP you seem well connected and it seems like the club rate Ward highly. Do you see him as part of the inside midfield rotation in the next year or two?
Naahh mate just another hawthorn nuffy that's been around enough to know that young players take time. Ward is part of our future. He will be part of our midfield for years to come.

Nash has been under increasing pressure and scrutiny both internally and externally. His skills in general are fine especially his handballing in close. He is currently a pretty important cog in that midfield of ours

Naahh mate just another hawthorn nuffy that's been around enough to know that young players take time. Ward is part of our future. He will be part of our midfield for years to come.

Nash has been under increasing pressure and scrutiny both internally and externally. His skills in general are fine especially his handballing in close. He is currently a pretty important cog in that midfield of ours
Thanks TFP

I thought Irish players are meant to be good kicks. Whats going on with his kicking ? Surely you can't have one of the main midfielder not be able to hit targets under no pressure ? he's chipping it like a pitching wedge.
I was at the game and saw him shake his head several times after kicking the footy, so guess he knows its a problem. Luckily a few times he turned it over, he had the workrate to run back and win the ball back for us, that is great! but not sustainable.

I thought Irish players are meant to be good kicks. Whats going on with his kicking ? Surely you can't have one of the main midfielder not be able to hit targets under no pressure ? he's chipping it like a pitching wedge.
I was at the game and saw him shake his head several times after kicking the footy, so guess he knows its a problem. Luckily a few times he turned it over, he had the workrate to run back and win the ball back for us, that is great! but not sustainable.
His skills were quite good last year excluding his kicking for goal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back