Premier A 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The blues and blacks were not allowed near the Uni main this week. Decisions to let u/15's and ladies teams play on it this week are absurd.

It's a ridiculous situation down there. Always has been. I can't even fathom how an U/15's game was scheduled on the ground.

It's a ridiculous situation down there. Always has been. I can't even fathom how an U/15's game was scheduled on the ground.

I heard that the games were moved to Elsternwick Park? Or some of the games were moved there... Surely they would not be stupid enough to let all those games be played at the Uni..

1401a.jpg

I see that SBMT have withdrawn their 3rds side from the competition. This now makes it even more of a farce that the powers that be decided to have an 8 team thirds comp in A Grade and a 12 team 3rds comp in B Grade.

What a joke.

I see that SBMT have withdrawn their 3rds side from the competition. This now makes it even more of a farce that the powers that be decided to have an 8 team thirds comp in A Grade and a 12 team 3rds comp in B Grade.

What a joke.
For what its worth, isnt it better that people get an opportunity to play a competitive game of footy each week rather than get smashed and not enjoy it? VAFA are at least trying to get on the front foot with this one as too many lopsided games is not good for anyone.

For what its worth, isnt it better that people get an opportunity to play a competitive game of footy each week rather than get smashed and not enjoy it? VAFA are at least trying to get on the front foot with this one as too many lopsided games is not good for anyone.

At least get the right numbers in each comp before playing around with wild guesses on strengths and weaknesses. The season should have started with ten teams in each comp, even if they decided to mix it up as well.

The VAFA have gotten a few things wrong with the thirds since their inception, and this is just the latest balls-up.

What were peoples impressions of the round 1. results?

Turnups, Surprises, 1 Offs, Shockers or Predictable etc. etc..

Was not expecting a win from OT first up, considering the talk around St Bernards for this season. OX losing to UB raised half an eyebrow, but UB are tipped to be right there at the pointy end, and OX have a tendency to drop the first game each season. Other games were as expected.

I mentioned it eariler in the thread, but i dont expect SBMT to fair too well this season.

Was not expecting a win from OT first up, considering the talk around St Bernards for this season. OX losing to UB raised half an eyebrow, but UB are tipped to be right there at the pointy end, and OX have a tendency to drop the first game each season. Other games were as expected.

I mentioned it eariler in the thread, but i dont expect SBMT to fair too well this season.

Yeah, OT did very well indeed. Played a prac match the week before (all things being considered) and looked pretty thin on the ground.
The others as expected. Tend to agree about SBMT. OS will definitely be up there.

OT are a very good young settled team and will be better than people think. De la look in trouble based on weekend performance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OT are a very good young settled team and will be better than people think. De la look in trouble based on weekend performance.

From what i can recall of OT from previous years they tend to always have good, young talent. Just never quite the depth that you need at A grade. Always too good for B section, but never quite there in A. I hope this year is different for them.

As for DLS, i think that with all of the player movement this year it wouldn't surprise anyone to see them well back in the pack, around 7/8 or even lower if they get hit by injury as badly as last year.

Have to keep the faith. Yes they have lost a heap of quality players but they do have a few good inclusions. A completely new team that will take a few weeks to gel. They are a much bigger side than recent years and look like they attack the ball very hard. Just to put the De La result effort into some context for 3 and a bit quarters they were pretty much level pegging with Scotch. The Cardinals class told in the end and they kicked away for what looked like a comfortable win but they had to work pretty hard and only shook off the persistent Ds in the last 15 – 20 minutes. Pretty reasonable side Scotch and I reckon they sit on the next rung of teams below Xavs and Blacks.

There are massive wraps on the De La coach but the reality is that they are most unlikely to challenge for the flag. But with a bit of luck they can hang around in the top grade and maybe even make up the mid tier of clubs battling for a spot in the four. What is clear is that if they turn over 50 players like they did last year they will be in real strife as the depth is gone.

Have to keep the faith. Yes they have lost a heap of quality players but they do have a few good inclusions. A completely new team that will take a few weeks to gel. They are a much bigger side than recent years and look like they attack the ball very hard. Just to put the De La result effort into some context for 3 and a bit quarters they were pretty much level pegging with Scotch. The Cardinals class told in the end and they kicked away for what looked like a comfortable win but they had to work pretty hard and only shook off the persistent Ds in the last 15 – 20 minutes. Pretty reasonable side Scotch and I reckon they sit on the next rung of teams below Xavs and Blacks.

There are massive wraps on the De La coach but the reality is that they are most unlikely to challenge for the flag. But with a bit of luck they can hang around in the top grade and maybe even make up the mid tier of clubs battling for a spot in the four. What is clear is that if they turn over 50 players like they did last year they will be in real strife as the depth is gone.

Heard DL had their entire team in OS forward half, for the best part of the game. A bigger flood than Noah could even have dreamed of. Another observation, (like last year) they tend to run round in circles and find it hard to score. Especialy since the loss of a couple of good forwards from last year and the year before.

Heard DL had their entire team in OS forward half, for the best part of the game. A bigger flood than Noah could even have dreamed of. Another observation, (like last year) they tend to run round in circles and find it hard to score. Especialy since the loss of a couple of good forwards from last year and the year before.

Not correct FF. I assume you were there? It was man on man type of game and certainly no floods. If anything Scotch played the spare man and did it most efficiently. They just had more class on the day and much cleaner with ball in hand. You are right about the scoring difficulties. Pickett and Roberts have been their primary goals kickers for the last 6 – 7 years so it will take some adjusting. Poor conversion plagued both sides. De La 5.11. Missed some sitters with several others on the full or not making the distance. So all things considered plenty of opportunities. Having said that Scotch missed quite a few gimmes as well.

Easy way to find out, just watch the replay on the VAFA website.

Spot on Brian. Although having sat (or stood) through the game on Saturday I don’t recommend it as being one for the archives. A tight game most of the day but marred by skill errors, particuarly by the bellers.

Essentially Jimmy is right. Really was a one on one, contested footy sort of game with no more or less players behind the ball then you would see in any other game. Scotch just had far more polish but the home side was right in it for much of the day.

Well once the AFL bring in a Good Friday match into their fixture next year, so will the VAFA.

The MPNFL game between rivals Bonbeach & Edi- Asp was a major success, whilst I'm hearing the same can't be said for another metro league.

Question is, which two teams would face in A Grade on Good Friday next year? Xavs v DLS? Or maybe a grand final replay?

Well once the AFL bring in a Good Friday match into their fixture next year, so will the VAFA.

The MPNFL game between rivals Bonbeach & Edi- Asp was a major success, whilst I'm hearing the same can't be said for another metro league.

Question is, which two teams would face in A Grade on Good Friday next year? Xavs v DLS? Or maybe a grand final replay?

Can confirm this. Possibly the lowest standard game of footy I have ever witnessed...Ever. Frightening poor. Very sad state of affairs and is the perfect example why the VAFA's two up/two down policy is the way to go.

At least get the right numbers in each comp before playing around with wild guesses on strengths and weaknesses. The season should have started with ten teams in each comp, even if they decided to mix it up as well.

The VAFA have gotten a few things wrong with the thirds since their inception, and this is just the latest balls-up.
Not just the Thirds,across the entire comp. 2 weeks ago the board, "are confident of decisions" openly suggested all teams "if organised well" had a realistic chance of making finals.{who"s organisation-clubs or out of touch administrators?)8 team competitions over 18 games simply do not promote fairness,balance or best interests.Eventually fixture bias determines outcomes.Can only end in tears for some and cheers of the not worthy.

The blues and blacks were not allowed near the Uni main this week. Decisions to let u/15's and ladies teams play on it this week are absurd.

I see a poll has been placed on the VAFA website asking fans what the best surface in the VAFA is. The Uni oval is one of the nominated options, is this the league or whoever runs the site taking the p15s or do they seriously believe it to be a good surface.

Note HQ was not even placed on the list, didn't even want to support thier own deck. FWIW the junction is leading by some margin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back