MLB 2014 Game Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting with Pujols, the conversation now turns to how many HR's he will end up with.

At the end of this season he'll be inside the top 20 all time (at 521 three are tied for 18th) and he's almost certain to finish in the top 10 all time.

Let's say he goes for another 8 years, he could push over 700 and be in the class of the immortals (Ruth and Aaron, with a * next to Bonds).

He deserves to be up there but i have a feeling his body will break down. There has already been signs of it in the past few seasons.
I dont reckon he has 8 seasons left in him to be honest but i hope he does.
Not bad for a 13th rd pick who played 133 games in the minors before getting called up

Still ended up paying 10 mil a year to Jim Johnson who has lost the closing role already. More than what Balfour is getting.

Oh Cubbies.

Listened to the game this morning. 100th birthday of Wrigley field. Samardzija continues to pitch really well (1.53 ERA after 5 starts, 35 1/3 innings pitched and 6 earned runs). Gets runs support for the first time this year, up 5-2 going into the 9th. Looking like winning 3 on the trot

Yeah. You know the rest. Strop decides to throw erratically (and has little luck with the strike zone). Gives up two walks. error from castro sees it 5-3. RBI single gets two more runs up and it's 5-4. Russell comes in and as ever gives up a hit, 5-5 and the scores are level. The a fly ball between the first baseman and right fielder doesn't get caught, in fact doesnt get reached as Ruggiano in right field tears his hamstring getting there. And then can't get up to get the ball, which turns it into a triple as the d-backs add two more on.

and we do nothing in the bottom of the 9th and lose 7-5.

Oh Cubbies.

Listened to the game this morning. 100th birthday of Wrigley field. Samardzija continues to pitch really well (1.53 ERA after 5 starts, 35 1/3 innings pitched and 6 earned runs). Gets runs support for the first time this year, up 5-2 going into the 9th. Looking like winning 3 on the trot

Yeah. You know the rest. Strop decides to throw erratically (and has little luck with the strike zone). Gives up two walks. error from castro sees it 5-3. RBI single gets two more runs up and it's 5-4. Russell comes in and as ever gives up a hit, 5-5 and the scores are level. The a fly ball between the first baseman and right fielder doesn't get caught, in fact doesnt get reached as Ruggiano in right field tears his hamstring getting there. And then can't get up to get the ball, which turns it into a triple as the d-backs add two more on.

and we do nothing in the bottom of the 9th and lose 7-5.
Sounds like a good tribute to Cubs history.

Sounds like a good tribute to Cubs history.
Pretty much :(

Would be nice if Rizzo and Castro just ended their seasons with the number they have now and we moved onto next year already. I mean I enjoy listening to/watching the games, and wins are even ebtter when you are only going to get 60-70 of them, but man. Such an abject season coming up.

Pineda thrown out after getting caught using pine tar. how stupid is this guy, got away with it last time vs the red sox and now makes it even more obvious on his neck, again against the red sox.

Stupid thing is every pitcher does it just more discretely. Silly mistake

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brewers are hot , if they can maintain it that is one tough division minus the cubs
Meh, they ran into an awful, awful cubs performance today. by far our worst starter and some trash fielding in the first inning, and general crap after that.

Hopefully we're stronger with Wood and Hammel pitching the next couple of starts. Will be nice when Arrieta is back in a couple of starts as well.

miserable 2 games and one innings after we looked good (admittedly against a rubbish diamondbacks side performance wise) for close to three games :cool:

Hope we do better against Braun though, hate seeing him getting hits

Sonny Gray threw a 3-hit complete game against the Rangers earlier today.

BmXGR24CIAAEeK-.jpg

Pretty impressive month of April from Braves starters, ERA of 1.90 (including today when wood went for 7 earned runs). I think only 3 games given up more than 2 earned runs in a start. Massive reason we are on top of NL East. Batters have been pretty poor. I think dodgers have scored 40 more runs in the same number of games to give an example of an offense not really working (Freeman, Upton, Gattis & Simmons have been good though)

Pretty impressive month of April from Braves starters, ERA of 1.90 (including today when wood went for 7 earned runs). I think only 3 games given up more than 2 earned runs in a start. Massive reason we are on top of NL East. Batters have been pretty poor. I think dodgers have scored 40 more runs in the same number of games to give an example of an offense not really working (Freeman, Upton, Gattis & Simmons have been good though)
Need Heyward to wake up

Few good mates of mine went to Braves Marlins at Turner field last week. Good mate is studying in Atlanta at the moment. If the NLDS had gone to a 5th game last year I would've got to go to the Braves Dodgers match when I visited him, but alas they shat the bed in LA.

Need Heyward to wake up

Few good mates of mine went to Braves Marlins at Turner field last week. Good mate is studying in Atlanta at the moment. If the NLDS had gone to a 5th game last year I would've got to go to the Braves Dodgers match when I visited him, but alas they shat the bed in LA.

I was in america 2 years ago and missed the braves in NY by about 3 days, was spewing. got to a few other games (YankeesvTampa and RockiesvMariners) but definetly want to see my braves. Good excuse to get back to the USA, loved it over there

I was in america 2 years ago and missed the braves in NY by about 3 days, was spewing. got to a few other games (YankeesvTampa and RockiesvMariners) but definetly want to see my braves. Good excuse to get back to the USA, loved it over there
Yeah I went to couple of games in Denver (vs Cards and vs Diamondback) then saw the cubs at Wrigley against the Pirates in a night game then day game which was great (especially day game in the bleachers), and then brewers@Mets, which was a stinker of a game really but was kinda cool seeing Mike Piazza getting inducted into Mets HOF, big crowd in.

Oakland turns on the power and smashes Texas 12-1 in Arlington to sweep the latest series and avenge the sweep Texas inflicted on Oakland earlier in the season.

Two wins in a row for the cubs. Just give us the division title already :p

What has been good so far compared to last year is the performances of Rizzo and Castro. Rizzo, against the Reds and against Adam Wainright, got on base 8 PA's in a row, a solo homer and 4 walks against the reds followed by a 2 run single, walk and a solo homer against Wainright, before finally not getting on. Rizzo's hitting .295/.417/.495 after 27 games, small sample size but very promising, and Castro is hitting .306/.336/.463, was at one point 10/22 ( i think after his first hit today) since moving to the clean up spot (so 10/25 now).

Our outfield stinks, but that's OK.

3 wins! A series won for the first time this year

Mets melted down in the 5th. went from 6-1 up to down by 8-6 in 6 pitches.

8-8 now though.

Would like the Rockies to do well in that division

Remove this Banner Ad

Back