Exodus Watch 2014 - Go hard or go home

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, our experience has shown that's not always true Robbo. Chris Johnson, Simon Black and possibly Luke Power were all reluctant Lions at one stage.

Nathan Buckley couldn't get out of Brisbane fast enough, but was extremely good in the one season he played.
I would offer Rischitelli as a better example. Had clearly decided to leave after being put up as trade bait, then played out of his skin the next year to raise his value and it worked. If the motivation is high enough some players can play well while still not being happy at the club, although I would say most would struggle to do it, especially the young ones.
As for Aish, the noises people are making about him not "looking happy" are very similar to what some thought of Mayes early on, and he has shown himself to be very much a stayer.

Don't agree with you Grimlions

Leppa has had to play the "kids" through circumstance rather than design and he has said as much himself on more than one occasion. Coaches pick sides to win games, not to drive up the trade value of suspected flight risks.

In any case, the likes of Yeo and Docherty got plenty of game time and a fat lot of good that did us. Although we scratched out some half decent trades for these two, we were still ended up well and truly "unders", all things considered.

Moreover, there would have been hell to pay if Voss had played lazy, spoilt and soft mummy's boys like Longer and Karnezis or a self-confessed underachiever in Polec in preference to other guys who were busting their gut for a game.

Irrespective of Voss' overall coaching record, we finished with 10 wins last season on the back of him picking the best side available and players who deserved selection, rather than mummies boys pining for the comforts of home.

Not so sure about this o_O

Moloney, Raines & Polkinghorne could have played a lot more games this season if Leppa wanted to play experienced players.

Glad he has put a line through them though :thumbsu:

I would offer Rischitelli as a better example. Had clearly decided to leave after being put up as trade bait, then played out of his skin the next year to raise his value and it worked. If the motivation is high enough some players can play well while still not being happy at the club, although I would say most would struggle to do it, especially the young ones.
As for Aish, the noises people are making about him not "looking happy" are very similar to what some thought of Mayes early on, and he has shown himself to be very much a stayer.

Did it though? Whatever contract he signed at GC was only good enough for tier 3 compensation for us.

Don't agree with you Grimlions

Leppa has had to play the "kids" through circumstance rather than design and he has said as much himself on more than one occasion. Coaches pick sides to win games, not to drive up the trade value of suspected flight risks.

In any case, the likes of Yeo and Docherty got plenty of game time and a fat lot of good that did us. Although we scratched out some half decent trades for these two, we were still ended up well and truly "unders", all things considered.

Moreover, there would have been hell to pay if Voss had played lazy, spoilt and soft mummy's boys like Longer and Karnezis or a self-confessed underachiever in Polec in preference to other guys who were busting their gut for a game.

Irrespective of Voss' overall coaching record, we finished with 10 wins last season on the back of him picking the best side available and players who deserved selection, rather than mummies boys pining for the comforts of home.

My argument wasn't that Leppa has strategically played the kids - but at times he has selected them over mature bodies (Moloney, Polkinghorne, Raines, Lisle, Golby and even Lester). The added bonus is that their trade value is increased quite significantly, would you prefer to take Lewis Taylor after his first year or Sam Docherty after his second?

Who were these guys busting their gut for a game? Oh you mean Polkinghorne, Raines, Stiller, McKeever, Sheldon & Cornelius etc, players who were given every chance to prove themselves but failed to do so, I don't think they have yielded a return that is worthy of our mummies boys going home. The go home five may be soft mummies boys - but if their ability can take your club to the next premiership window then you need to exhaust every possible option to keep them there.

Last edited:
But does he have the gif ?
Y2shL6m.gif

My argument wasn't that Leppa has strategically played the kids - but at times he has selected them over mature bodies (Moloney, Polkinghorne, Raines, Lisle, Golby and even Lester). The added bonus is that their trade value is increased quite significantly, would you prefer to take Lewis Taylor after his first year or Sam Docherty after his second?

Who were these guys busting their gut for a game? Oh you mean Polkinghorne, Raines, Stiller, McKeever, Sheldon & Cornelius etc, proven duds who were given every chance to prove themselves but failed to do so, I don't think they have yielded a return that is worthy of our mummies boys going home. The go home five may be soft mummies boys - but if their ability can take your club to the next premiership window then you need to exhaust every possible option to keep them there.
Duds is a bit harsh, just by the way.;)

Mainly when we sing the song. Everyone is ecstatic and he is just standing and singing, no expression.

Can I just say that my purely personal view, sacriligous as it may be, is that the 'club song' and hence the 'singing of the club song' and in particular the 'tuneless, and unedifying shouting of the club song at 170% of its usuall speed' by the players after a win, is one of the most embarrasingly naff and cringeworthy traditions in our great game. I believe it is ultimately to James's credit that he appears to hold a similar view and maintains a suave detachment to the sweaty wash of testosterone and gatorade that permeates the rooms during that time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can I just say that my purely personal view, sacriligous as it may be, is that the 'club song' and hence the 'singing of the club song' and in particular the 'tuneless, and unedifying shouting of the club song at 170% of its usuall speed' by the players after a win, is one of the most embarrasingly naff and cringeworthy traditions in our great game. I believe it is ultimately to James's credit that he appears to hold a similar view and maintains a suave detachment to the sweaty wash of testosterone and gatorade that permeates the rooms during that time.

Ha ha.

It's a valid observation actually. Football players are dreadful "singers". What they do to a club song is nothing short of butchery......and it's constant across all teams in the AFL.

Whether or not that's Aish's reason for looking somewhat detached during the belting out of the "song" will probably remain a moot point.

EDit: Maybe it's time the clubs considered playing a backing track in the rooms to help their lads out.;)

Look, we're all nervous. We'd like nothing more than to see the headline "Aish re-signs with Brisbane". He does represent so much - He was our very first pick after the exodus. Sure we're making great progress with all the other kids but re-signing him in a weird sort of way proves that we are a club that is desirable and is not like some 2 years of mandatory military service or something like that to the rest of the competition and all the other draftees

But honestly, if he intends to leave (I REALLY hope he doesn't), I'd honestly prefer it if he was up front now and we trade him at the end of the season if that is possible. At least we have some bargaining power - "Well Adelaide we appreciate you offering us Pick #11, but I'm sorry, you're going have to turn our 3rd rounder into a 2nd rounder otherwise James isn't going anywhere"

Wingard, thats it.
Hate him, he is in a national competition and actually said to them that he would return as soon as his contract his up. Whats worse is nothing happened, not even a reprimand.

I don't think he did too much wrong myself. He told them straight up before draft day and so was theoretically at least risking his whole career while saving them from investing in developing a player that was going to leave anyway. Players don't have that much leverage against clubs overall until they're free agents and even then its pretty much a one-shot so I don't think you can begrudge them the few opportunities they do get.

That said, the ability to pick your destination the way that the go-home bunch did should be removed and somehow we need to advance our culture and game so that the players are not so immature and parochial that they're not prepared to leave their home state/city to play the game.

I don't think he did too much wrong myself. He told them straight up before draft day and so was theoretically at least risking his whole career while saving them from investing in developing a player that was going to leave anyway. Players don't have that much leverage against clubs overall until they're free agents and even then its pretty much a one-shot so I don't think you can begrudge them the few opportunities they do get.

I think we've since established that that's no longer the case...

That said, the ability to pick your destination the way that the go-home bunch did should be removed and somehow we need to advance our culture and game so that the players are not so immature and parochial that they're not prepared to leave their home state/city to play the game.

...as you note. The ability to pick your destination is exactly the kind of leverage that Wingard leveraged pre-draft. It's just that pre-draft you're not allowed to say you won't play for a club or you'll have to sit out of footy for at least two years, but apparently you can say you'll walk out on the club after the two year rookie contract with no repercussions - and that's effectively the same thing.

Yet while he was doing that there were posters criticizing him for it because he was 'coaching for his career' rather than getting development time into the younger ones etc.

Was the go home factor clear all along with Aish (his family being South Australian football royalty and all)?

The fact the Doggies went Bontempelli instead of Aish (slid a few spots in the draft) being a prime example of this.

As someone previously mentioned we didn't really have many options that weren't a go home risk so i'm not having a crack at our recruiters at all just an observation.

His not gone yet but the talk is getting louder all the time, gets mentioned a bit in media discussions down here.

The most logical reason, IMO, for Aish not resigning is the fact that his manager knows that we will pay overs to keep him. Player managers know that after the happenings of last season, they hold the aces - so to speak. No reason at all for Aish to re-sign at the moment. Marco would be the only player that I would think is a genuine chance to leave. This appears to have been the case since the day we drafted him, if the rumours that have been floating around for the past year are to be believed.

Understandably some seems a little jumpy on the "young kids going home" issue. But I would be massively surprised if Aish had signed any sort of deal by now anyway. You'd think surely if these player managers were half decent at their job, and understood Brisbanes current situation they wouldn't even enter contract negotiations until their second year (at least I wouldn't if I was trying to do best by my client). IMO if Aish hated Brisbane he's manager would be making the exact same noise as if he absolutely loved it. We just don't know. Besides wasn't he quoted at the Hall of Fame dinner by saying "hopefully playing in the Lions midfield" when asked "where do you see yourself in 5 years?"

Sit tight everyone. It's going to be a bumpy ride. I wouldn't expect any Aish contract news in the next 6 months at least and if anything pops up see it as a massive bonus like Robbo getting in early.

BTW I'd be very surprised if he went anywhere. Brisbane would be working twice as hard as any club right now to make their youngsters as happy as possible. Sounds like the Leppas have been killing it too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back