Certified Legendary Thread Dont laugh, we're still in it come Rnd 23... [TOTY]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 70839

Take it one week at a time...

This is the ladder next Monday... Starts to look more interesting doesn't it? We play Bombers and then will be simply 1 game out of 8 if we win...

you need to look at the others draws - if they win we dont close the gap

I believe, but I'm a sucker for this club, despite recent history.

Also on the mathematics, a lot of variables would come in with line-ups, other side fixtures, stadiums and weather conditions .... Well above my head haha

The results we need from other clubs games for the rest of the season are quite plausible. The most unlikely scenario is that we win our remaining games. If the latter happens we're right in it up to the eyeballs. Again, do I think it will happen? No.

Exactly. Have we got any huge maths heads in here?
Liking a punt I know that the probabilities are way askew, we aren't even favorites in 60% of the games!
We have two interstate
We have to overcome a massive historical hurdle on a few fronts.
There is just so much that is unlikely that has to happen.
You're protesting too much!! ;)

you kids haven't followed this club long enough can we make it ? yes will we make it ? prob not BUT in all my many years following this club ITS WHEN EVERYBODY SAY WE CANT THAT WE DO !!!!!!!!!!!! so there's life therefore hope until that's gone I shall continue to be a pessimistic optomist

you kids haven't followed this club long enough can we make it ? yes will we make it ? prob not BUT in all my many years following this club ITS WHEN EVERYBODY SAY WE CANT THAT WE DO !!!!!!!!!!!! so there's life therefore hope until that's gone I shall continue to be a pessimistic optomist
Did this happen in a movie?
In my experience when people say we can't,we don't.
When the say we might we don't.
When they say we will,we soil ourselves and we don't.

Must be a different Richmond that I have been looking at for 35 years. My experience is that when everyone says we cant do it...well its often the way.
Life and hope sounds like the same stuff I have been convincing myself of for so long. Unfortunately, this year has been a tipping point for me. Everyone is focusing on all the other results that we need to go our way. The reality is that we cannot even be confident of the things happening in our own back yard (e.g. winning every game from here) to even worry about the other results.

Look do you wanna play blind man? Go walk with the shepherd. But me, my eyes are wide f#&king open - Jules Winfield, Pulp Fiction

I have to agree with each of the last 3 posts. In the premiership years when people said we couldn't do it we did it but in the last 3 decades it's been the opposite. If things are to change, and surely one day they have to (don't they?), why not start now? Our team is good enough if they play to their ability.

35 yrs andy add 12 and tell me about it seen our best and worst and as stated in the post you quoted everytime I think were done and so does everyone else we prove me and them wrong not saying it will happen or likely but as long as theres a chance however slight I will and you all should believe we can for without hope we are nothing. and RD do you post anything not negative ? I was thinking you were a mellow version of santa if this is incorrect im sorry but show me a post ok ?

About 6. Unfortunately Gold Coast will get to play them post infractions.

I suspect that Gold Coast are finished. So if they beat Essendon that probably helps us. I think they might even lose this week but they will definitely lose to 2 of StKilda, Carlton, Port, Essendon, WC and we already have better points for/points against ratio.

the math would be horrible. Not only do we have to win each of the games we play, we are relying on other results to go our way too. With each new requirement, the odds shorten further and further

No, if we are relying on other results then we can make the 8 with 4 wins.....with 5, it's very likely that the results will go our way, much more than not IMO.

Edit: I just checked and we can actually make the 8 if we win 3 games only. Obviously it's the most extreme case and won't eventuate though.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

35 yrs andy add 12 and tell me about it seen our best and worst and as stated in the post you quoted everytime I think were done and so does everyone else we prove me and them wrong not saying it will happen or likely but as long as theres a chance however slight I will and you all should believe we can for without hope we are nothing. and RD do you post anything not negative ? I was thinking you were a mellow version of santa if this is incorrect im sorry but show me a post ok ?
You must have caught me on a bad day!
I'm sure people will tell you I post plenty of positive stuff .
I've even been accused of being one of those brightsiders or whatever it is (there is a term but I can't think of it).
But when it comes to reality in regards to our performances I find it pretty difficult to paint a nice picture

If we were to drag ourselves into the 8 after being 3 / 10 - it would be arguably the greatest 'come back' performance in the history of the VFL/AFL!
Tigers don't do 'the greatest performances'.... not anymore anyway.
Mathematical possibilities annoy me - usually are actually physical impossibilities.

Having said that though - I reckon we will win at least 4 of our last 5 and therefore have a "great" end to the year to "just miss out" finishing either 9th or 10th. :cool:

History tells us clubs that spend a majority of the season outside the 8 rarely break into finals by season end.

A few recent exceptions would be saints 2011 (17 weeks out. lowest position 15. Finish 6), Port Ad 2005 (20 weeks out, Lowest 15, finish 9), W.C 2004 (Weeks out 19, Lowest 14, finish 7).

We are currently 18 out and lowest 16. :rolleyes::cry::cry:

But I won't let that stop me from hanging onto a faint glimmer of hope!! :hearts::D:(

Did this happen in a movie?
In my experience when people say we can't,we don't.
When the say we might we don't.
When they say we will,we soil ourselves and we don't.
It's funny because it's true.

Wait. It's not funny at all. :(

My concern is that we have a big barnstorming finish to the year and everyone gets pleased with themselves as if we've accomplished something. It's a perennial failure of this club, confirmed again by Maric's comments this week, that the smallest of achievements is a sign for the Tigers to sit back and expect it all to happen by itself.

In 2006 we recovered from a 0-3 start to finish 9th, then won the wooden spoon in 2007. In 2008 we had a barnstorming finish to the season to finish 9th, recruited Ben Cousins in the off-season, then opened 2009 with the most bitterly disappointing game I've ever attended (the Carlton massacre) on our way to finishing 2nd bottom.

However we finish off this year, we have a lot of work to do in the off season.

Hopefully I get to use this in a few weeks
249970d1393016646t-jail-breaking-samsung-image.png

It's funny because it's true.

Wait. It's not funny at all. :(

My concern is that we have a big barnstorming finish to the year and everyone gets pleased with themselves as if we've accomplished something. It's a perennial failure of this club, confirmed again by Maric's comments this week, that the smallest of achievements is a sign for the Tigers to sit back and expect it all to happen by itself.

In 2006 we recovered from a 0-3 start to finish 9th, then won the wooden spoon in 2007. In 2008 we had a barnstorming finish to the season to finish 9th, recruited Ben Cousins in the off-season, then opened 2009 with the most bitterly disappointing game I've ever attended (the Carlton massacre) on our way to finishing 2nd bottom.

However we finish off this year, we have a lot of work to do in the off season.
No matter where we finish on the ladder this year, regardless of the amount of wins and losses and the manner in which we achieve them, We will definitely not be complacent over the pre season and expect success like we did this year. This season was a very important learning curve for this relatively young team. The experience gained from this debacle will be invaluable for the future success of this once great club and I expect a very professional approach and attitude next year. They need the confidence of as many wins as possible from what remains of the season but over the coming pre season, knowing full well that they will have to work harder than ever before to make the 8 next year. I myself believe that we'll have a very good year in 2015. 2014 was the year we had to have unfortunately.

If we were to drag ourselves into the 8 after being 3 / 10 - it would be arguably the greatest 'come back' performance in the history of the VFL/AFL!
Tigers don't do 'the greatest performances'.... not anymore anyway.
Mathematical possibilities annoy me - usually are actually physical impossibilities.

Having said that though - I reckon we will win at least 4 of our last 5 and therefore have a "great" end to the year to "just miss out" finishing either 9th or 10th. :cool:

Whats funny, even if we did pull it off, and now its a big if. We will get no credit for it. Slobbo will say we were lucky, Sheehan will say we had played Port, WC, Essendon and Adelaide when they were struck with the ebola virus so they were not at there best etc.

Whats funny, even if we did pull it off, and now its a big if. We will get no credit for it. Slobbo will say we were lucky, Sheehan will say we had played Port, WC, Essendon and Adelaide when they were struck with the ebola virus so they were not at there best etc.

Yer and the soft draw. But if we can win a final (if we make it of course) it will be a nice little hurdle and mental barrier that will have been knocked over. It'l suck if we go into next years finals series and go crashing out in the first week again...which will add more pressure to the year after etc etc.

It'l do a world of good for the group...besides we will have made finals 2 consecutive years!!! :eek:

Yer and the soft draw. But if we can win a final (if we make it of course) it will be a nice little hurdle and mental barrier that will have been knocked over. It'l suck if we go into next years finals series and go crashing out in the first week again...which will add more pressure to the year after etc etc.

It'l do a world of good for the group...besides we will have made finals 2 consecutive years!!! :eek:
if we have a 2013 like injury run next year luck us in for top 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back