Picola DFL expansion

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with you Joe Mama. No question there are too many clubs in and around Benalla. However forcing Swanpool and Tatong into a lopsided 3 way merger, playing the majority of home games 60km away was never going to work.

A more logical solution would be for Swanpool and Tatong to merge and see how things pan out for the 2014 season.

Ouyen United actually derives from as many as 18 clubs, going back some 95 years.

An article I have cut and pasted across shows that:

* Speed and Turriff merged in 1919 to become Gorya
* Pirro and Tempy merged in 1932 to become Tempy
* Dering, Baring, Waythe and Patchewollock combined to become Patchewollock in 1932.
* Gorya and Tempy became Tempy-Gorya in 1965
* Tempy-Gorya and Patchewollock became TGP in 1971
* Kiamal and Tiega became Ouyen Rovers in 1982
* TPG and Ouyen Rovers became Ouyen United in 1997
(a separate Ouyen Football Club folded in 1995)

The handling of the O & K situation and in particular the decision by Brett Connell, AFL VC football manager, really should be ringing alarm bells for anyone involved in small country clubs in our region, in my opinion. I am not from either Swanpool or Tatong. Please take the time to read through the following and have your own small club in mind and how you would react to some of the following:

John O’Donohue sent a memo to OKFNL clubs dated 23 December 2013 to clarify misleading media and social media reports. Memo is easily assessable on social media. The contents of it are as follows. My own comments are in red.

Since the OKFNL AGM misleading news and social media commentary regarding OKFNL, AFL NEB and AFL Victoria Country activities necessitates some clarification.

The OKFNL have implemented the 2013 OKFNL Review recommendations (released 22 September 2013) for 2014 with 12 clubs included in the draw.

The O & KFNL have indicated that should an official application from either Swanpool or Tatong FNC’s to be released from the league be received then the league would not deny either application
As of the above date (that being 23 December 2013) neither Swanpool or Tatong have submitted an application to be released from the OKFNL.
  • Only because they had to get approval from AFL VC as they had passed the date of 31 July 2013….. keep in mind final review recommendations released 22 September 2013.
Club Transfer of League regulations are governed by time frames in AFL Victoria Country Rules and require clubs to seek permission from AFL Victoria Country to enter into discussions with another league prior to July 31st with transfer applications to be made by October 31st annually (Rule 3.7.2)

• No OKFNL club had sought permission to enter discussions within these time frames
Again keep in mind memo states final recommendations released 22 September. Anyone else thinking “How on earth could we meet the deadline of 31 July if we were in their shoes… time machine anyone?”

AFL VC rules also provide for consideration of an extension of any time frames on its regulations which must be applied to and is at the discretion of the AFL VC football Manager (Rule 8.23)

• A request for an extension of time was received by AFL VC football Manager from both Swanpool and Tatong and was subsequently denied in mid December due to the impact such discussions would have on another league at this time of year (almost 5 months past the deadline) acknowledging AFL VC’s responsibility to all country affiliates.
    Well we all know PDFNL have been saying since November that they would be willing to at least talk to the clubs. In fact I saw it again in my local paper in the last week or so.
Clubs have been provided clear advice and direction from AFL NEB and AFL VC on the processes required in relation to league and AFL VC rules including those for club release and transfer. How a club may have then accepted that advice is a matter for each respective club.

Despite reports and commentary on the matter, with no application received, neither Swanpool nor Tatong are being blocked from being released and the OKFNL, AFL NEB and AFL VC have administered the relevant rules and regulations available.
Serious political spin here ….. How could an application have been submitted when AFL VC denied the request for extension?

On behalf of the OKFNL Board and AFL NEB.

My question to Brett Connell is this:

Why did you deny the application for extension of time and not give these two clubs a chance of survival? Considering and I am reiterating these points:

This memo from John O’Donohue clearly states that the OKFNL would not deny the applications for release.
PDFNL have constantly said they are willing to at least speak with the clubs.
I'm sure any reasonable thinking person who understands the demands of a VOLUNTEER executive role at a grassroots football club would consider it perfectly reasonable for Brett Connell to allow the two clubs permission to speak.
I think we can all see there has been a great deal for these clubs to deal with in a very short time frame.

Criminals get more chance of a fair dinkum appeal than what these two clubs have received. Regardless of whether you think they should fold or not it is about the fairness of the process.

If you aren’t prepared to stand up for another club for a fair go do not expect anyone to stand up for you if ever AFL VC is called on to make a decision concerning your club.

For those that will say they are looking after the other 12 clubs that’s all well and good, but do it in a fair manner and in way in which we can all have faith that our governing bodies will treat our clubs fairly. I certainly do not have that confidence at the moment after reading this memo.

For those that will say Tatong and Swanpool knew the decision was coming and should have been prepared. Really? they have been in the O & K four years, how many clubs do all of us know have gone through tough periods of 3-4 years and then turned it around. Would any of us at the helm of a club have “rolled over”? No of course not and neither would any of the other O & K clubs, be honest.

The O & K has said they would release them, in the tradition of the country honour your word and join Swanpool and Tatong in their appeal for a release for them to at least talk to the PDFNL.

Are you trying to say that both Swanpool and Tatong had no idea that it would come to this (merger or new league). Find that very hard to believe.

It is merge or fold!!! No option to look at changing leagues.
They have been told to both merge with goorambat 90km away or fold. No option to look at another league at all, or to simply merge the two and see how that goes.

Did they put a proposal together for just the two sides without goorambat? I know hindsight is a great thing but I would to think that if the club I am involved with were faces with this issue we wouldn't leave a stone unturned.
Tocumwal won the Murray league flag 5 years ago, have seen the same thing coming so did something about it.
As I said find it hard that neither club see it coming.

Yes they put the two way merger up. Refused.

I would want my club to leave no stone unturned also. I would also want to be given every chance to explore every option before accepting a three way merger I knew would cost my club it's identity.
You say the clubs should have known true but if it was that serious don't you think that the review should have taken place much sooner than it did and allowed much more time to work through a three way merger that two of the three are totally against. The club 90 away being the main home ground.The timeframe of the review and the ultimatum in September hardly seems fair.
All I'm saying is let them talk to PDFNL if that is a no go, then you have to think ok it's a unworkable 3 way or fold which way?
They have only been in the o&k four years.

As for Tocumwal their decision was easier to see as its seen as a step down in standard to PDFnl so a logical solution. For an o&k club that choice not so clear. We may be about the same standard. We do have less teams though so that may help them. Tocumwal didn't look to the merger first did they?

All i am saying is let them explore all their options before accepting the unacceptable.

Oh and Ark i look forward to the merger of Strathy Yarra and Mathaz in a couple years. Strathy would need to
Play at least two home games at Yarra and two at Mathaz. Although a fair comparison is that Mathaz is the home ground?? Haha who is our Prez again, may just happen. :eek: :D Totally new jumper and name.
That ok? At least I've given ya two years notice! :)

Goorambat isn't 100km away from the other two but thanks for notice. Don't even think the prez is stupid enough to try and make that happen!

How was it easier for Toc to see it coming when 5 years ago they won the flag?

Yeah I may have exaggerated for effect (did it raise the blood pressure just a bit?) but to me if I'm travelling 45km for trainings, meetings, game days and I'm not getting paid well there is as much chance of me doing that as travelling 100kms. Just my opinion though.

I didn't say it was easier to see the need for a change for Toc. I meant the choice IMO of what to do was clearer just drop down standard in league and we are a perfect fit for them geographically as well, honestly a no brainer. Toc also had its kids to consider which may have increased their motivation to make a move as well.

Tatong in 2010 was brought into the O&K from the Benalla league from what I understand (please someone correct if wrong) that was a bit lower standard so they were forced to step up then. So for last few years their focus may have been just settling in there and trying to improve as what other league did they have to step down to? PDFNL is probably comparable standard why consider it? Maybe because we have less teams and are just awesome really:D that aside it may not have been quite as clear a choice to even consider, in my opinion. Yes maybe they should have done the two way merger sooner but as you said hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Is it seriously that hard to just treat clubs with a bit of empathy (regardless of what we think they should or shouldn't have done) and give them the chance to look at their options and not back them into a corner and force a merger I don't think many of us would agree to without a very great deal of talk, talk talk.

1995 - Tungamah & Katamatite join
1996 - Katandra join
2003- Berrigan join
2006 - Shepparton East & Dookie United join
2009 - Split in two divisions - Rennie joined
2014 - Tocumwal join

A thread for discussing possible new clubs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Show Us Some Love"

Tatong Swanpool United Football Netball Club will march on AFL house protesting the decision of AFL Vic Country to deny permission to enter into discussions with the Picola Football Netball league for season 2014"

March is THIS Friday Valentine's Day February 14th
AFL Headquarters 10am docklands....

Everyone is welcome and encouraged to attend.....

"May the Tradition Continue

;)Good Luck.... hope cupids arrow hits the right spot..

I have ranted about this a bit, for which I don't apologise because of things like the following:

In the Sunday Age dated 16 June 2013 there was an article talking about the review into the O&K which according to that report, meetings with clubs started the Tuesday of that week. In it John O'Donohue is quoted as saying "We are going to work with clubs", he said "We'll go in with an open mind and see what happens"

It goes on to discuss splitting the league to which John replies "We explored all those options when the Benalla and District league wound up" O'Donohue said "If you split it in half, the problem is you have to take clubs that have been in the O&K for a long time and put them in the lower league. That's not going to wash".

In a another document I have now found on social media it states that "AFL NEB have not deviated from preliminary recommendations despite exploring the possibility of establishing a new League consisting of clubs from neighbouring leagues such as Alexandra, Yea, Longwood and Violet Town which did not present a feasible and sustainable alternative.

So this was considered between the preliminary recommendations handed down end of July and the final one early September. Hmmm...

I'll leave it up to individuals to determine what was the real reason for not considering splitting the league....

Next, in this other document which is released from AFL NEB, it states that "the decision on a base club was made considering various factors, leadership, administration capabilities, facilities, participation numbers just to name a few".
"The possibility of developing a second District League Under 18 team out of the Benalla area under the banner of the 3 way consolidation is achievable under this model".

Now is it just me or should most of those things listed not even come into consideration when determining a base location of a merged club and looking to the sustainability of that club into the future and also the suitability of such a merger to all clubs involved. It doesn't even say LOCATION. Leadership, administration capabilities, even participation numbers are all VARIABLES. Facilities? yes a good base would be preferable (although doesn't Tatong or Swanpool have a grant of $300K or so to improve theirs). Either way I would have thought LOCATION in particular its suitability to the communities of the clubs being asked to merge was number one. Nope not even listed perhaps its in the other "few" it talks about.

I don't know enough about the Under 18 situation in Benalla to know how important that may be to this decision. Others may be able to enlighten me on that?

Now true to form there is also some awesome political spin to amuse me in this document.

When asked "if we don't buy in, where does Goorambat then sit?"
Response: "a proven reason why Goorambat was selected, the newly formed club will not be called Goorambat, they will not wear the Goorambat jumper, it is a new club AFL NEB are asking Swanpool to gravitate to. If you do not buy in, having the stability of a club in Goorambat means AFL NEB will continue to assist the club in its transformation" .... the spin.... AFL NEB are not asking Swanpool to gravitate to this new club they are DEMANDING IT and seriously it wouldn't matter where the base club was it would still have to be a new club and surely would have new jumper, club name etc. However, the big issue now is....

Where is this new club??? its states whether Swanpool/Tatong are in or out a new club would be formed.

if the intention was from season 2014 Goorambat would be a new club well surely that new club should already be in existence including the name shown on any draw that was released don't you think? Here they are trying to convince Swanpool and Tatong they should "gravitate" towards this new club when they haven't even done the work to establish this new club.

Brett Connell, John O'Donohue etc keep claiming that Swanpool and Tatong missed deadlines. If Goorambat hasn't changed identity into this season when it should have if AFL NEB are serious then the same can be said of AFL NEB, OKFNL only in my view this is a far more serious breach of trust and is extremely incompetent.

Brett Connell you seriously need to reconsider your decision.

Hi guys Undera in the kdfl is looking for a practice match in March just had a couple of teams pull out text 0428260321

TATONG and Swanpool football clubs have conceded they will not field teams in 2014.
The clubs had been searching for a new league after a heated split with the Ovens and King competition late last year.
Governing body AFL North East Border recommended the merger of three Ovens and King clubs — Goorambat, Tatong and Swanpool — in July, after a review of the ailing competition where huge losing margins are common.
Tatong and Swanpool refused to be part of the three-way merger, instead formally requesting to be released from the league.
Goorambat agreed to the merger and has since rebranded as the Goorambat and District Football Club, while Tatong and Swanpool were left off this year’s fixture.
The cast-off clubs made a last-ditch bid to transfer as a united entity to the Picola and District Football League, but AFL Victoria stymied negotiations as the cut-off date for league transfer talks had passed.
Tatong and Swanpool yesterday announced they would not field teams this year, through a statement on Tatong’s Facebook page.
“After lengthy discussions and negotiations which appeared to be progressing, we unfortunately need to step away from pursing fielding a team in 2014,” the statement said.
“We have been very fortunate to have received audience with higher level AFL administrators but it appears the system the AFL has created is greater than the communities that support it.
“For the footballers and netballers, we thank you for your continued loyalty in putting your options on hold while we aimed to secure a team for 2014.
“We wish you all the best with whatever option you choose to take for season 2014.”
But the statement warned the fight to return to the field was not over.
“Both Tatong and Swanpool football netball clubs continue to pursue the best option for our communities now and into the future,” it said.
“There will be a public meeting in coming months so stay tuned.”

An Open Letter to Picola District Football Netball League
August 24, 2014 at 7:33pm
Attention: Clubs and Board of the Picola and District Football Netball League
Dear All,
The Samaria Suns Sports Club would like to formally thank you for the opportunity provided to us, to apply to enter the PDFNL for the 2015 season.
Whilst the decision not to allow us entry has been a disappointing one, the rationale for such a decision has been quite appalling. In applying to the PDFNL there were definitely not guarantees given as to an outcome. However, there have been several opportunities throughout this process in which the concerns of clubs and board members should have been effectively communicated.
The actions of PDFNL after the presentation to clubs included feedback that the presentation was very well received by the clubs and no concerns had arisen, follow up contact ‘making sure’ Samaria Suns were following through with an official application (on Aug 4th), and an official visit to Tatong and Swanpool (Aug 9th) to inspect facilities after all information had been received by the league. It is not unreasonable then for a club in our position to have a positive vibe – it is probably the comments of many Shepparton based media that sums the situation up best, “what the hell happened? I though they wanted you in?”.
Had the decision been rationalised by facility concerns (given a second netball court had to be determined at both facilities), or that we had not satisfied a criteria identified from the presentation the reaction from the Benalla region would have been one of disappointment but gratitude.
With regard to the concerns regarding player numbers, between the two club there was over 100 football players that played for either Swanpool or Tatong last year and have not gone to another club this year, and only a small percentage (less than 10%) of netballers played elsewhere this year.
Of these players that had gone elsewhere most had indicated they would return if we successful in our application and appointed suitable coaching staff. In anticipation of receiving a positive outcome we were well down the track of appointing a high profile recruitment committee to appoint both coaching staff and recruit players. We had also been in discussions with a former player with regard to the reserves coaching role who indicated that 15+ footballers and netballers from Mansfield would come on board once he was appointed.
With regard to your concerns regarding coming out of ‘recess’ we find it disappointing that you did not consider anecdotal evidence such as Thornton-Eildon coming out of a three year recess this season, where their Senior football team has qualified for finals. Their bid to enter a league started with just 45 footballers.
We believe that the rejection of our application to join the PDFL is a ‘missed opportunity’ for your league. With all the negative stories about clubs ceasing to exist this would have been a good news story of a new entity entering your league creating positive media coverage, which by all accounts would be very beneficial for you at this current point in time. May we suggest that in future when you (as an individual, a community member, a member of your club) are making decisions that determine the future of two communities and the region they represent, a more thorough process of discussion and honesty take place.
Regards,
Samaria Suns Steering Committee.

I do feel for the Tatong and Swanpool communities. After sticking fat for so long, then eventually conceeding and becoming a merged entity as the Samaria Suns followed by not finding a home. Very tough situation. I feel this could have been a good thing for football long term if they found a home in the PDFL-SE.

The inclusion of Samaria may have even enticed Violet Town and Benalla All Blacks to renew acquaintances with their old TFL rivals in Dookie, Katandra, Shepparton East, Katamatite and Tungamah. If this path transpired it could have allowed Katunga, Waaia and Rennie an opportunity to move across to the NW competition if they saw fit.

We have just witnessed the Thornton-Eildon FNC come out of a 3 year recess and are busy in the finals. I am not sure if the communities of Tatong and Swanpool have the resolve, external support and resources to try again.

We cannot keep losing clubs at this rate, I wouldn't be too concerned if new ones were popping up in the suburbs, but you and I know this is not the case.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back