Picola DFL expansion

Remove this Banner Ad

Hay are still looking to get in. Coleambally and CDHBU (aka Coreen) from the Hume League are apparently making "enquiries". Wakool and Moulamein are also rumoured to be interested ......

Agree that a 10 team comp is ideal. Wunghu is knackered and thinks it will survive only if it goes to the KDFL so you can kiss them goodbye one way or the other. Good luck to them and I hope they can work their way out of the hole they're in (but I doubt it).

Would love to see Coleambally get in. They have 2 grounds - maybe have their 4ths play on the 2nd ground later in the morning to cut out the early start for travelling teams? They're only another half an hour past Jerilderie.

A question ..... are any clubs likely to want to come across to the SE Division (i.e. Strathy, Yarroweyah) if some of those other clubs are put in the NW Division?

What was wrong with the league how it was back 2008 (Prior to the split) i personally enjoyed haveing a big league. I thought it was great. If Wunghnu did go to the KDFL, why couldnt we put the league back the way it was? The worst thing about the split was clubs that have been in this league for years and years are now not competing against each other eg Waaia and Katunga now dont play Picola and Strathy, which were good rivalrys. in a way it has lost the sense of tradition. if we had 10 clubs in each div, thats 20 clubs that league has to accommodate. that could become a bit of a task for the people who run the league (even though i dont no what it takes to run a football league). I dont think that bringing clubs down into our league is the answer. Tocumwal for example, just cause they are having an ordinary year in MFL doesnt mean they should be brought into our league because PDFL is suppossedly not as high of standard of footy or some rubbish.

Hay are still looking to get in. Coleambally and CDHBU (aka Coreen) from the Hume League are apparently making "enquiries". Wakool and Moulamein are also rumoured to be interested ......

Agree that a 10 team comp is ideal. Wunghu is knackered and thinks it will survive only if it goes to the KDFL so you can kiss them goodbye one way or the other. Good luck to them and I hope they can work their way out of the hole they're in (but I doubt it).

Would love to see Coleambally get in. They have 2 grounds - maybe have their 4ths play on the 2nd ground later in the morning to cut out the early start for travelling teams? They're only another half an hour past Jerilderie.

A question ..... are any clubs likely to want to come across to the SE Division (i.e. Strathy, Yarroweyah) if some of those other clubs are put in the NW Division?

WJ - Putting these teams together, to me, divides our comp into a NSW and Vic conference...

Looking something like:
NSW: Berrigan, Blighty, CDHBU?, Coleambally?, Deni Rovers, Hay?, Jerilderie, Mathoura, Moulamein, Rennie (10)

Vic: Congupna?, Dookie United, Katamatite, Katandra, Katunga, Picola United, Shepp East, Strathmerton, Tungamah, Waaia, Wunghnu?, Yarroweyah (12)

Not sure about some of the km's to travel if a NSW league were to develop. Moulamein to Coreen is 250km!

Must be very careful!

WJ - Putting these teams together, to me, divides our comp into a NSW and Vic conference...

Looking something like:
NSW: Berrigan, Blighty, CDHBU?, Coleambally?, Deni Rovers, Hay?, Jerilderie, Mathoura, Moulamein, Rennie (10)

Vic: Congupna?, Dookie United, Katamatite, Katandra, Katunga, Picola United, Shepp East, Strathmerton, Tungamah, Waaia, Wunghnu?, Yarroweyah (12)

Not sure about some of the km's to travel if a NSW league were to develop. Moulamein to Coreen is 250km!

Must be very careful!

Not trying to be provocative. Nor am I promoting a NSW comp. Rennie are very happy where they are. Have a soft spot for our old mates up at Coly slipping in. Personally not a fan of CDHBU getting in and don't know enough about Wakool or Moulamein to comment. Just feel plain sorry for Hay - they're too far away and nobody wants them.

I agree that there's nothing much wrong with the current comps. Take it as a compliment that other clubs want to come in. I understand that a number of clubs like the split in that they get the opportunity to get a couple of cracks at their opposition each year. 2 x 10 team comps is ideal so if that is going to happen some clubs are going to find a reason not to be happy about something. But that option may be better than doing nothing and losing clubs. Wunghu is just about gone. What if another club goes a#se up in a year or 2. Then you're down to 7 teams and that is no good. Better to be proactive and get some teams in. Don't go the way of my old comp the Coreen League by doing nothing, knocking back clubs that were half keen, and then folding. Too late then.

WJ when you get back in can you let me know which side you are wanting Coly to join??

As to clubs folding. The league split for many reasons and that has been a success thus far. However, the safety net being that should a number of clubs fold the two leagues could be rejoined as it wasn't too bad before just too many clubs in the end. So if we lose a few we can always rejoin the league if necessary. This could be made far more difficult if we keep shifting the geograpical boundary out further. So I agree with I wantanother flag must be very careful and look at all scenarios before deciding on which clubs to grant the privalige of joining our league.

You see WJ the league was in a position to split as the management of the PDFL over the years did have the foresight to admit extra teams to the league to secure its numbers, so much so we are in the strong position that we are numbers wise with options of expansion available to us at our choosing and in the best interests going forward. Not too bad considering the tough economic times of the last 10 years. Well done to the PDFL!!

Hay, Moulamein and Wakool all coming out the Golden Rivers league would then probably spell the end of that league, only leaving about 6 teams there..
I also imagine it would be a fair step up for those sides if they were to go to the PDFL....

Hay or Moulamein entering the NW would make recruitment of junior players both football and netball increasingly difficult. Particularly for the Victorian based clubs and those competing with other leagues and junior competitions around them. Don't think many parents, not already entrenched in the league, would favour the prospect of that trip and would look at easier options which are aplenty in some cases. Some may say that we all only do the trip once but when a parent is looking at a league as a prospective new parent and see those places unfortunately that will be enough to put them off. Need to keep the travel to a minimum whereever possible to give all clubs a good chance of gaining or maintaining good junior numbers.

[Seems as though Wunghu's impending demise has started the shift , movement rumour mill again . If they can't get numbers or recruit in the PDFL i don't see how they will in the KDFL.
From a parents point of view , travel and expense is a key factor to supporting this great sport. As soon as one of the above starts to outweight the enjoyment of the whole experience you got a problem. The split has been a great thing for the league as a whole,and i believe kept all the checks and balances in order, at present.I believe the league has the family friendly focus and is backed up by the decisions that have been made goegraphically. Don't change what youve got just for change sake or to throw a life line . Its got to be the right fit for all and at this stage, and by no means is this direspect to Hay,Coly or CDHBU but they are just too far. ]

Looking something like:

Must be very careful!
A NSW and a Vic conference may not be such a bad idea.

I think Congupna can stay where they are in MFL. also if Wunghnu were to go to the KDFL then i otherwise agree with your proposed Vic conference of: Dookie United, Katamatite, Katandra, Katunga, Picola United, Shepp East, Strathmerton, Tungamah, Waaia, Yarroweyah (10)

This 10 Club Vic conference would be ideal for an 18 round fixture, because every team plays each other twice without having byes each week. Also we could keep the Top 5 Finals system, or we could have a top 6, but either would be fine i think.

In the NSW Conference their could be: Berrigan, Blighty, Coreen(CDHBU), Coleambally, Deni Rovers, Jerilderie, Mathoura, Rennie (8) But this could only be possible if Coreen and Colembally came into the league. Colembally have 2 grounds, so that could mean the fourths could start later on the second ground.

Hay and Moulamein are just to far to travel i think. They would also stretch the boundaries of the league geographically, as it is the Picola & District Football League.

A NSW and a Vic conference may not be such a bad idea.

I think Congupna can stay where they are in MFL. also if Wunghnu were to go to the KDFL then i otherwise agree with your proposed Vic conference of: Dookie United, Katamatite, Katandra, Katunga, Picola United, Shepp East, Strathmerton, Tungamah, Waaia, Yarroweyah (10)
This 10 Club Vic conference would be ideal for an 18 round fixture, because every team plays each other twice without having byes each week. Also we could keep the Top 5 Finals system, or we could have a top 6, but either would be fine i think.

In the NSW Conference their could be: Berrigan, Blighty, Coreen(CDHBU), Coleambally, Deni Rovers, Jerilderie, Mathoura, Rennie (8) But this could only be possible if Coreen and Colembally came into the league. Colembally have 2 grounds, so that could mean the fourths could start later on the second ground.

Hay and Moulamein are just to far to travel i think. They would also stretch the boundaries of the league geographically, as it is the Picola & District Football League.

Almost a recreation of the old Tungamah League :thumbsu:

Almost a recreation of the old Tungamah League :thumbsu:

What is wrong with the way the split is at the moment. Appart from Wungnhu the northern league is very competitive and most clubs are forming a good healthy rivalry. I dont see why leagues have to change a successful format to accomodate other clubs wanting to join their league. In saying that i do feel sorry for Hay. I played against them for 6 years and they are a great club with great facilities but unfortunatly in the middle of no where. If they were to join the northern comp they would be more competitive than they are in the goldern rivers simply becuase they would have more access to prospective recruits. But that is something for the leagues powers to be to sort out.

What is wrong with the way the split is at the moment. Appart from Wungnhu the northern league is very competitive and most clubs are forming a good healthy rivalry. I dont see why leagues have to change a successful format to accomodate other clubs wanting to join their league. In saying that i do feel sorry for Hay. I played against them for 6 years and they are a great club with great facilities but unfortunatly in the middle of no where. If they were to join the northern comp they would be more competitive than they are in the goldern rivers simply becuase they would have more access to prospective recruits. But that is something for the leagues powers to be to sort out.
Now Charles Mac where might these recruits maybe even coaches be coming from, any ideas?? ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now Charles Mac where might these
recruits maybe even coaches be coming from, any ideas?? ;)

Hay do try and get a few from the Griffith, leeton way. It would be hard work though trying to convince blokes to play for them when they have to travel to the other side of Swan Hill. If they were to recruit from those areas it would be a little more inviting as there would be less travel in our league.

I still say leave it the way it is, although the Wungnhu situation needs to be looked at.

Re: Could this be the end for Wunghnu?

Wunghnu are s**t & will continue to be s**t til they get proper coaches for seniors & reserves! I on the 2's coach & his footy brain extands no more then knowing how to handball correctly! Ive had him as a coach yrs ago at another club close by to wunghnu. In the end we had our under18's captain making correct field changes. He believed in when we were getting flogged he should send all the forwards back & backs forwards! Stupid move!!! His tried coaching 2's footy b4 & failed yet again at another club. Only desperate clubs would ever give him a job. As for the seniors coach ive heard his good with developing young kids which is great for country footy but they needed some older mature leaders as well to glide these kids. If they wanna get anywhere near finals they have to build a stronger support/sponsor base. Bring back netball again to the club & make it a family friendly club BUT most importantly they have to do what other clubs are doing and that is SPEND MONEY!!! Recruit like never b4! Think outside the box a little. Pouch QLD NSW etc for players.... Realisticly it could be done!

I've been talking to some Murray League mates of mine and they told me that Rumbalara are looking to be transferred into the PDFL. Is this a possibility or just a load of crap? Personally i think they should stay put in the MFL.

I've been talking to some Murray League mates of mine and they told me that Rumbalara are looking to be transferred into the PDFL. Is this a possibility or just a load of crap? Personally i think they should stay put in the MFL.

Their overall vision has always been to become a GVFL club, if Rumbalara were to come to the PDFL they would never be able to reach that goal.

we aint looking to go to the picola league. we are happy in the murray league and we aint going no where.

There is no way we would be looking to go into the Picola League. Very happy in the Murray Football League.

Having 9 teams in both comps will create an even draw for both comps. It will also create a welcome bye.

Which clubs should be encouraged to come on board?

9 votes so far, with nearly half happy with the current format.

The smaller competitions have been fantastic for many of the clubs.

Most would agree that the sad point is the splitting of Katunga-Strathy and Waaia-Picola, as they are neighbouring towns.

maybe bring 16 the clubs back as 1 comp ???????
Agree. Go back to 16 clubs, play each other once. 15 rounds even draw, alternate playing venue the following year. Have the same finals system as the AFL. I have heard positive feedback from the O&K league for a final 8 system and they have 14 teams.

With Goorombat likely to join Picola SE next season, does it make sense for Rennie to transfer to the NW division?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back