List Mgmt. 2015 general list discussion and speculation - PLEASE START NEW THREAD ON BREAKING NEWS

How did you rate Geelong's trade and free agency period?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Giles would be a decent get but lets not go crazy.

He is a B grade ruckman. No more, no less.

That may seem like a giant (no pun intended) improvement on what we currently have given injuries, but to say he is worth more than frawley or we must give up our round 1 is ludicrous.

As IanW said, he is probably worth a third rounder.

Given there will be clubs chasing along with our need for a durable ruck, I'd throw our second rounder for Giles and their third.

If we give our first rounder, I'd expect Giles + 21 + a third rounder (#38) back.

We would also HAVE to retire one of Simpson/Hmac IMO.
Makes life a lot easier if the medicos make that choice for us. Not that I want to see Simpson go but I can't see his back issues improving.

I get what you're saying here Daz but Burbury has been at the club for the same amount of time Schroder has (and Burbury has actually played more senior games despite being a rookie for the majority of his stay).

If the club is prepared to move Schroder (and many on this board believe he is in the cross hairs) after only 5 chances at senior level then I don't see it as too far-fetched that Burbury, with 7 senior games, could also be considered.

Smedts and McCarthy can both play Burbury's position. Hartman and Lang could, I think, also play there.

Hell, I can even see Stokes spending a bit more time in the forward line next year as more onus is put on the young blokes to log more minutes in the midfield.
burbs has proven to be the best defensive small we have tried over the last few years with his tackling pressure forcing turnovers, his finishing has been rubbish though. i have been quite disappointed with almost every other small option we have tried in the pressure and tackling department.

Gws wont want our fringe kids. unless any of our exp defenders want to go there for a retirement package,which i doubt,they will want a pick upgrade for giles as they wont pick late in the draft.

He is worth mid 2nd round 25-35 or equivalent pick upgrade. He is no world beater but is better than all our other rucks and is durable.would be worth getting.

burbs has proven to be the best defensive small we have tried over the last few years with his tackling pressure forcing turnovers, his finishing has been rubbish though. i have been quite disappointed with almost every other small option we have tried in the pressure and tackling department.
I thought smedts was actually all right down there in that role. Just they moved him down back for some reason.

That may seem like a giant (no pun intended) improvement on what we currently have given injuries, but to say he is worth more than frawley or we must give up our round 1 is ludicrous.

Given there will be clubs chasing along with our need for a durable ruck, I'd throw our second rounder for Giles and their third.

If we give our first rounder, I'd expect Giles + 21 + a third rounder (#38) back.

That deal favours us but given they probably wont use their 3rd rounder anyway they may do it.

Gws wont want our fringe kids. unless any of our exp defenders want to go there for a retirement package,which i doubt,they will want a pick upgrade for giles as they wont pick late in the draft.

He is worth mid 2nd round 25-35 or equivalent pick upgrade. He is no world beater but is better than all our other rucks and is durable.would be worth getting.
Out: James Kelly? A ruckman and games for Bewsy!

How would Varcoe -> GWS and Giles -> Geelong go? While we don't have many players in the age grouping of Varcoe's, GWS have even less and he would add another experienced player to their list

How would Varcoe -> GWS and Giles -> Geelong go? While we don't have many players in the age grouping of Varcoe's, GWS have even less and he would add another experienced player to their list

Varcoe wont agree to go there.

A 3 way trade might be possible in that scenario

Yep, that's a good and valid point.

I probably place more emphasis on finishing but what you are saying is fair enough.

Problem I have is I'm not really enamoured with any of Burbury, McCarthy or Smedts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Problem I have is I'm not really enamoured with any of Burbury, McCarthy or Smedts.

Have to agree on that. Not enamoured yet, anyway.

I think #6 showed enough in last Friday night's debacle to indicate he has a future. Was hard enough and got to the right places.

Needs to jag a break in finishing off his opportunities and I think he'll kick on well.

I wonder whether it's wise to keep Burbs on the list too considering what appear to be some distinct similarities in both what they offer and in their current limitations.

Billie is an entirely different story. Not sure we (or any other AFL club) is ever going to see his potential reached.

Another year (as long as it's not wrecked by injury) would have to be his limit at the Cattery before significant strides would need to have been taken in his on-field contribution to ensure his future at the club.

If the club got a half-reasonable trade offer I think they would consider it right now.

Can't imagine where it would come from, though. His 'moments' at AFL level have been few and far between.

And Frawley is a B grade defender at best. I'd say it's pretty close between the two right now.

Trent West?
There was no further elaboration, and I was told it may be dependent on the Patty Ryder situation, which made me think Leuenburger, but then again it may well be Gorringe, with the latter more likely due to seeking other opportunities.

Yep, that's a good and valid point.

I probably place more emphasis on finishing but what you are saying is fair enough.

me either.

if you actually look at and compare the stats of all 3, all average under a goal a game, around 10 touches but burbs tackle numbers are much higher at about 5.1, compared to smedts 2.7 and macas 2.2

for me, i think our biggest need is the pressure to lock the ball in to give the motlops etc. a chance to get there and help out. not just a crumber to get quick snaps over his shoulder from hawkins feet. hawk is often double or triple teamed, when he is one out he tends to mark it, but when there are a few hanging off him and it comes to ground, they outnumber and sweep it out easy.

macca seemed to think his job was to try and take a screamer so he was out of the contest when the oppn. picked it up and cleared.

smedts is the best out of the lot at the crumb and goal i think, but burbs by far the best and forcing the error from the oppn. defenders.

my feel was whilst his own scoring was bad, he created more chances for team mates to score.

Someone who currently plays for a QLD club.

West - no thanks
Martin - just re-signed so most likely not, although he would be the one to get based on form this season.
Leuenberger - injury prone, not sure much of an improvement if he can't get on the park, so no thanks
Archie Smith - rookie, no idea
Sam Michael - rookie, no idea
Jack Leslie - no idea
Smith - GC would trade him
Gorringe - 20 gamer, is he ready to be a #1 ruck?
Nicholls - 15 gamer, is he ready to be a #1 ruck?
Dixon - GC won't trade him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back