List Mgmt. 2015 general list discussion and speculation - PLEASE START NEW THREAD ON BREAKING NEWS

How did you rate Geelong's trade and free agency period?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rate him higher than McEvoy who was worth a first round pick last year.

Didn't the Hawks make the move on McEvoy though? I don't remember hearing any speculation of McEvoy wanting out, with the trade being one that seemed to catch most unaware and with that being the case the Hawks had to offer something enticing to the Saints for things to work.

In this case the player has indicated to the club that he wants out and is looking for better opportunities; the club has acknowledged this and is willing to work with the player to make that happen which takes some of the power away from GWS to depend a 1st round pick for Giles; instead it might be a swap of players & picks or a 2nd round pick & fringe 22 player from another club. Giles isn't best 22 at GWS any more and played only 9 games due to the recruitment of Mumford, so it would be pretty hard for GWS to argue that he is a required best 22 player to drive up his value.

This is Geelong we're talking about; they always play nice guys. Especially with injured players. They'll both stay.

Maybe.
I'm generally more moderate than yourself when it comes to accomdating the clubs employees, but even given that I don't think we can afford to carry both, especially if it potentially costs us a strong recruit.

Taking a broader view; look what's going down now with Matthew Egan - the club should be expected to show a reasonable duty of care to the players, if we throw them all on the scrap heap after injury there won't be many keen to join us in the future.

But I think we've reached a tipping point with regards to long-term injuries; Menzel/Vardy/Cowan plus the perenially injured or unfit McIntosh/Simpson - even Christensen is becoming a concern (I'm sure I've missed someone there, too).
Puts us behind the 8-ball before we've even kicked a ball in anger.

im pretty accommodating when to comes to giving chances.. but with both Daws and Hmac on the ropes the hatchet needs to come out - preferably that one of them takes the step themselves.
If Daws wants to retire and take a year off to get right them try to come back I would absolutely look at accommodating him with a Rookie spot in 2016.

However when you only have 4 people that can play the position and the top 2 of them are not a chance in playing now at all and may not get back ever…. well.. swing hatchet.

Go Catters

Do we payout the contract of either Simpson or Hmac on the grounds of concerns of long term injury and their availability to get through a whole season?
Would love to get Giles and he is a player we should be going after

Simpson is Out Of Contract as far as I am aware...

Giles is the right age seems injury free would be a good fit as i said earlier port will go after him.But Daws was to take a year off or hang up the boots would be a perfect.H-mac and Giles as rucks Giles takes over from H-mac at the end of next season.With the added bonus Giles can play forward if needed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smedts to GWS
Giles to GFC

I like it but GWS have O Roukre and Jacksh or whatever his ******* name is whom are high picks that can't get a game. What would make them want Billie?

Go Catters

I would have thought T.Hunt may be more appealing as a tagger for them?
What happens to Scully then? He is their tagger I believe..
Delist one of them and get Giles. Ruck issues fixed.
We need to trade to make it happen. Giles has a season to go on his contract at GWS..
I like it but GWS have O Roukre and Jacksh or whatever his ******* name is whom are high picks that can't get a game. What would make them want Billie?

Go Catters
Wishful thinking more than anything

What happens to Scully then? He is their tagger I believe..

We need to trade to make it happen. Giles has a season to go on his contract at GWS..

Wishful thinking more than anything
Honestly, I don't know much about GWS and who does what there ha seems crazy paying $3Gazillion a year or whatever they pay him to play as a tagger!

Honestly, I don't know much about GWS and who does what there ha seems crazy paying $3Gazillion a year or whatever they pay him to play as a tagger!

We arent. His contract was frontloaded to heck and back.

As far as Giles goes, agree on personal terms and a 3rd rounder is just fine, or a swap of your first for our end-of-1st pick, or whatever.

Giles would be a decent get but lets not go crazy.

He is a B grade ruckman. No more, no less.

That may seem like a giant (no pun intended) improvement on what we currently have given injuries, but to say he is worth more than frawley or we must give up our round 1 is ludicrous.

As IanW said, he is probably worth a third rounder.

Given there will be clubs chasing along with our need for a durable ruck, I'd throw our second rounder for Giles and their third.

If we give our first rounder, I'd expect Giles + 21 + a third rounder (#38) back.

We would also HAVE to retire one of Simpson/Hmac IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back