Autopsy 1st Prelim Final: Sydney v North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Really proud of some of the posts in this thread tonight. North were well out classed tonight and there aren't many cheap shots on a very good opposition.

I see tonight's loss as a huge positive. Yes, we didn't play to our potential, but we had a massive two wins prior, and every finals loss is character building. Every one of our boys should be proud of their year long efforts, and have so much hunger to go further next yeah.

I cannot wait to renew my membership and support this team in 2015 for North's next big push at a premiership.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8.1

Disappointing in the end, while I expected the Swans would win it was disappointing to see the defensive structure fall down so badly and our play riddled by errors. Well done to the Swans, was a very good performance.

Not surprised with the loss as I expected the result. Can't be upset with making the final 4 after the year we've had and going further than more fancied teams. Proud of the boys for exceeding expectations.
A few knobs in here taking shots at Wells, Thomas, Petrie, conveniently forgetting everything they've done in the last 2 weeks to actually get us here.

We were never a serious chance though tonight against a side with a superior salary cap who can put out a forward line like that. Sydney just a better team, although I'd rather not see them win next week.

If this is what the thread looks like after the mods did a big clean-up I feel for them - rubbish for the most part.

Disappointing game to watch from someone hoping the North fairytale would continue, but to reach a prelim after many expected them to be quickly bundled out (or not even make it a few weeks before) is a fantastic result. The age of Petrie, Harvey etc are a worry but on the flipside unearthing the likes of Brown and Turner who stood up in by far the biggest games of their short careers is a big plus. Despite Turner's poor statistical output tonight I thought he did plenty of things that point to a bright future.

All credit to Sydney, they kept North fumbling under pressure (perceived or otherwise) all night and they barely got their natural game going at all. Dal Santo battled dutifully while Harvey and Wells seemed to never be near the contest. But North wouldn't have gotten there if it wasn't for the influence of players like those mentioned, not to mention their forwards (barring Black, although he worked hard the last couple of weeks I thought).

Gary Rohan was the best thing for me tonight - has had a rough run but was brilliant. Played that rare HBF role where he was completely accountable defensively while providing a heap of run. Even when the game was already over he still worked his tail off and his disposal seems a lot better. Probably the best game I've seen him play.

Some great grabs too, Jack's juggle, Richards in defence and of course Parker's pack hanger.

A few people are taking potshots at Scott Thompson but forget he blanketed Buddy earlier in the year and has proven time and again he's a strong defender. He'll have poor games like every defender and when the midfield is getting smashed on the outside allowing clean entry it seems bloody rough to call him crap on the back of getting a small bag kicked on him by one of the best forwards in the comp (who simply manhandled him all night - not saying it was illegal, but if a bloke is 5cm taller and 10kg heavier than you while still beating you in athleticism there's only so much you can do).

Think North have a bright future and I really enjoyed their run in this finals series. Hopefully we get a closer game tomorrow and an excellent grand final.

Playas gonna play. Haters gonna hate.

Good effort from North in this final series and they can hold their heads high. Didn't match it with the Swans tonight but they were up against a pretty bloody good footy side.

Very proud of our team making their fourth GF in the past decade. Great performance across the board. I'll be watching the Hawthorn v Port game tomorrow with great interest. Either side would be a worthy opponent and could cause a great deal grief for the Swans.

Couldn't really be better placed going into the GF so no excuses really. If we get beat then it will be by a genuinely better side. No major injury concerns and pretty fresh coming out of the Prelim. Bloody exciting times for the Bloods.

Shut up Hawthorn sooks. Bad luck to North. One or two smart player moves (bye bye Petries) this off-season and they'll be in the hunt next year, I reckon.

Sort of. I'm in two minds here.

He's been good for us for a long time. But when the chips are down, he needs to be more prominent than he is. I don't think he's going to get any better at this.

He sealed the deal against Essendon with two absolute leaders' goals when they were most needed. That's what we want.

But then more often than not, I find myself wondering why he can't kick the goals we need him to, when we need him to. Just doesn't do it. Misses easy ones, at crucial times, far too often.

I wouldn't get rid of. Maybe 'ease out', and look to someone more reliable in those moments.

Only 48k for a prelim.

I was actually fairly happy with that. 50K + would have been nicer but it wasn't against one of the big four vic clubs and I can tell you most Swans fans genuinely hate watching footy at ANZ Stadium. If that was at the SCG they would have been turning them away at the gate and the place would have been rocking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sort of. I'm in two minds here.

He's been good for us for a long time. But when the chips are down, he needs to be more prominent than he is. I don't think he's going to get any better at this.

He sealed the deal against Essendon with two absolute leaders' goals when they were most needed. That's what we want.

But then more often than not, I find myself wondering why he can't kick the goals we need him to, when we need him to. Just doesn't do it. Misses easy ones, at crucial times, far too often.

I wouldn't get rid of. Maybe 'ease out', and look to someone more reliable in those moments.

He doesn't do it often enough, but he's still good enough that you'll get something decent for him. Pull the trigger, I reckon. He's not why you're a good side.

I was actually fairly happy with that. 50K + would have been nicer but it wasn't against one of the big four vic clubs and I can tell you most Swans fans genuinely hate watching footy at ANZ Stadium. If that was at the SCG they would have been turning them away at the gate and the place would have been rocking.

It's still a prelim and it's still in Sydney.

Very poor turnout.

It's still a prelim and it's still in Sydney.

Very poor turnout.

Yeah not a great turnout by Melbourne standards. Maybe they thought it would be the one sided match it turned out to be. Who knows. Crowd averages are up this year in Sydney so its trending the right way.

He doesn't do it often enough, but he's still good enough that you'll get something decent for him. Pull the trigger, I reckon. He's not why you're a good side.

Nah he's not. He's good icing on the cake these days, occasionally. He works hard.

I wouldn't say he clogs us though at this stage. If I had to move a forward on for a realistic flag tilt in the next two years, it'd probably be Black

Easiest money I've made in a long long time. It's just a pity I'wasnt as cashed up this week.
When North can scrape over the line against Essendon and only just hang on against an injury depleted Geelong with Goldstein having no opponent, you know this wasn't ever going to be close.
My side would've copped a similar hiding, it was easy to see.
I wonder if North will do a Richmond of 2001 and think they are better than they are?

Geelong or North were never going to progress past a prelim. Unfortunately they were on the same side of the draw.

Not surprised with the loss as I expected the result. Can't be upset with making the final 4 after the year we've had and going further than more fancied teams. Proud of the boys for exceeding expectations.
A few knobs in here taking shots at Wells, Thomas, Petrie, conveniently forgetting everything they've done in the last 2 weeks to actually get us here.

We were never a serious chance though tonight against a side with a superior salary cap who can put out a forward line like that. Sydney just a better team, although I'd rather not see them win next week.
* off "superior salary cap"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back