News Tarryn Thomas - 18 matches and sacked from North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Without undermining the seriousness of the allegations against Pickett, Thomas has had so many chances it isn't funny.

You dont need to be charged with a formal crime for the AFL to ban you, or your Club to dump you. There are clauses in their contracts that allow this. The fact Tarryn isn't taking this to court to fight it, clearly shows where there's smoke, there's fire.

Sometimes the coddled life of an AFL player is a bad thing, Taryn needs a good dose of the real world to sort himself out.

No doubt.

But how do we compare Tarryns "chance" a year ago vs Marlions actual jail time?

23 years old is not a kid.

The bloke has had enough chances, and he would not have gotten 18 games and booted from the club for nothing. We dont need to know the situation nor the details. DV is a huge problem in this country, and no one has time for Tarryn's bullshit any longer.

The number of chances he has had is absurd. If i only did a single act Tarryn has done in his time with North, at my job, i would have been sacked immediately.

I certainly hope he gets his life together but that is his responsibility. It's not Norths or the AFL's.
Really?

I was actually thinking about this but if my ex went to my employer with texts I sent I don’t think they would use that to sack me

Really?

I was actually thinking about this but if my ex went to my employer with texts I sent I don’t think they would use that to sack me

If you worked for a public company, you 100% would. I'd also like to think any other workplace would also.

I know i would if i was doing the s**t Thomas was doing to women.

Last edited:

Really?

you would find yourself pretty quickly out the door at most workplaces if texts of you bragging about assaulting women and saying you would 'do it again' were made known to your employer

Really?

AFL players have to abide by the AFL's Code of Conduct as part of their employment. Many organisations/employers have a Code of Conduct for their employees as part of their contract.

IMG_20240226_100622.jpg

It's nothing to do with it actually.

There's nothing to prevent the AFL integrity unit conducting an independent investigation into Picketts actions and behavior on that night and de-registering him immediately, except for the fact it would interfere with a matter before the courts, so they take the correct option.

Thomas deserved what he got, however it does raise the stark difference between the two scenarios.

Pickett's is the much more serious crime (Thomas actions aren't even a crime as they haven't been reported to the police) and Pickett may face jail time, but remains playing and unaffected to some degree.

The interesting scenario in all of this, is if the victim in Thomas' case reported him to Police and went before the courts again, he'd still be on an AFL list and likely playing AFL games this year under the same consideration given the Pickett, as the AFL wouldn't be able to make a finding for the same reason they can't with Pickett.

North have had players facing more serious charges than Pickett (Daw and Dumont) without being suspended or sacked. Like Pickett, they disputed charges which were beyond the capacity of either the club of the AFL to investigate.

Assuming Thomas's victim had gone to the police instead and they decided to investigate or charge Thomas, North would still have demanded an explanation from him. Unless he denied the allegations and the victim was reluctant to speak to the club, he would have been sacked just the same.

Fallen AFL player Tarryn Thomas erased from history with mural tribute gone

It's very doubtful any AFL club will go anywhere near him in the future. One of the most crushing disappointments of childhood, right up there with the truth about Santa Claus and seeing your father cry, is the realisation that you probably don't have what it takes to be a professional footballer. I tried, i thought i was pretty good, but i never grew tall enough. The door on that career path closed early and it was never to open again. Tarryn Thomas was given a golden opportunity and spat in its face. He's done!

It's nothing to do with it actually.

There's nothing to prevent the AFL integrity unit conducting an independent investigation into Picketts actions and behavior on that night and de-registering him immediately, except for the fact it would interfere with a matter before the courts, so they take the correct option.

Thomas deserved what he got, however it does raise the stark difference between the two scenarios.

Pickett's is the much more serious crime (Thomas actions aren't even a crime as they haven't been reported to the police) and Pickett may face jail time, but remains playing and unaffected to some degree.

The interesting scenario in all of this, is if the victim in Thomas' case reported him to Police and went before the courts again, he'd still be on an AFL list and likely playing AFL games this year under the same consideration given the Pickett, as the AFL wouldn't be able to make a finding for the same reason they can't with Pickett.
Again !!!

Pickett is alleged and is innocent until he is proven guilty and his behaviour on the "night" is also alleged which will be proven in court.

Thomas was sanctioned and committed offences whilst undergoing good boy training

Cant see how you cannot see why the AFL cannot do anything now with Pickett which would open up a bloody big can of worms
where they would need to do the same for alot of other players which would end in courts for various reasons

Or Richmond did for Ben Cousins.
Richmond recruiting Cousins was more a "Save the bloke" pick as detailed by Terry Wallace in an interview he did about it after Wallace retired (Think it was 1 of the fox shows at the time)

Personally i believe Thomas will play again if he can maintain fitness and hunger for the game and does totally F up again
AFL has shown clubs are forgiving in time if you have the talent Thomas has

Personally i believe Thomas will play again if he can maintain fitness and hunger for the game and does totally F up again
AFL has shown clubs are forgiving in time if you have the talent Thomas has

Can you name a single comparable case where a player with links to DV has been given a second chance?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can you name a single comparable case where a player with links to DV has been given a second chance?
Yes i can but wont as it will open up a bigger can of worms due to how i know this but was a Richmond player in the 80's which got covered up more times than we would like to think.

But lets be honest until maybe 10-15 years ago alot of this got covered up by clubs or the women them selfs and most never got reported or reported on.

Yes i can but wont as it will open up a bigger can of worms due to how i know this but was a Richmond player in the 80's which got covered up more times than we would like to think.

But lets be honest until maybe 10-15 years ago alot of this got covered up by clubs or the women them selfs and most never got reported or reported on.

So nothing since the 80s.

The game is in a very different place now to what it was back then. Society takes these things far more seriously.

Thomas won't play again.

It's very doubtful any AFL club will go anywhere near him in the future. One of the most crushing disappointments of childhood, right up there with the truth about Santa Claus and seeing your father cry, is the realisation that you probably don't have what it takes to be a professional footballer. I tried, i thought i was pretty good, but i never grew tall enough. The door on that career path closed early and it was never to open again. Tarryn Thomas was given a golden opportunity and spat in its face. He's done!
I can't believe I am saying this.

I think there is a slim chance Taryn Thomas can play AFL footy again.

1 percent chance.

I mean Tyson Stengle had a long road back from being dumped by the crows.

Stengle spent a season in the SANFL before ya mob recruited him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back