News Tarryn Thomas - 18 matches and sacked from North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Doesn't matter what he did, no one argues it falls into the category of DV, and the vague statement of the charge seems a bit of an understatement in general.
I agree. But threats to kill? I assume they are being deliberately obtuse to not hint at or disclose the nature of the abuse. He has obviously done something very dodgy and we don't need to know what.

he may well sort his life out, but 23 is not a kid ffs. you sound like someone who gets antsy when a 30 year old is seen dating a 21 year old.

i agree he's got a lot of time to sort his life out. but he's baring consequences for apparently being a nasty, overbearing, and ultimately abusive, partner.
Probably the most sensible response to date.

Are you talking about Tarryn Thomas here, or just rapping on theme?

We don't know what the recent behaviour involved. And we don't need to know for the sake of the victim. That shouldn't give us license to speculate on possible crimes and declare Thomas guilty of them.
There isn't any 'speculation' here or 'possible crimes'.

The AFL GC has made this clear.

"There is no excuse for the behaviour or the hurt he caused a young woman, this is never OK,”

“The fact that Tarryn chose to engage in behaviour over direct messages that was, and is, clearly inappropriate, even while he was undertaking education and being counselled for previous breaches contributed to the length of suspension imposed.”

There isn't any 'speculation' here or 'possible crimes'.

The AFL GC has made this clear.

"There is no excuse for the behaviour or the hurt he caused a young woman, this is never OK,”

“The fact that Tarryn chose to engage in behaviour over direct messages that was, and is, clearly inappropriate, even while he was undertaking education and being counselled for previous breaches contributed to the length of suspension imposed.”
Mmm okay. Not sure what your point here is. Nobody is excusing Thomas or disputing that he has behaved abusively towards a number of women. I responding to a poster who was speculating on the details of that abuse.

Mmm okay. Not sure what your point here is. Nobody is excusing Thomas or disputing that he has behaved abusively towards a number of women. I responding to a poster who was speculating on the details of that abuse.

There certainly seems to be one idiot trying to downplay the severity because he dOeSn'T hAvE aLl ThE fAcTs.

Sadly, there is always one idiot.

There certainly seems to be one idiot trying to downplay the severity because he dOeSn'T hAvE aLl ThE fAcTs.

Sadly, there is always one idiot.
Yeah, I've seen that. Embarrassing. Why they feel they have a right to know is beyond me. It is clearly in the victim's interests not to have this information made public. If it were a sexual assault, would they also demand details?

But we also have those who see this absence of detail and feel the need to insert their own speculation. Neither is helpful.

And Marlion Pickett remains free to work at Punt Road while awaiting criminal charges... because?
Maybe he has not been found guilty yet !!
court case could take 2 years and his career would be already over by that time and he misses out on the last 2 years
if not guilty that would be unfair dont you think ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't care if a 40yo was dating a 20yo. It is their business, not mine.

And I don't judge people in their 20s for making mistakes, either.

Especially if they acknowledge the problems and genuinely try to become better people.
that's great. this an internet forum and people come here to post their judgements on football, footballers, teams, business people, etc.

And Marlion Pickett remains free to work at Punt Road while awaiting criminal charges... because?

Because the justice system is seriously messed up.

Currently looks like it'll be 9 months between when charges were laid and facing court.

That's why we have to treat people as innocent until proven guilty...punishing them while they wait for the court system to get to them is unfair.

It's especially unfair when the police charge people in order to screw them over, and then drop the charges just before it goes to court (as has happened in Vic several times lately...and probably other states as well).

I hope he gets the help he needs to become a better person. I absolutely loved to watch Tarryn play from all the way back when he was playing for North Launceston! I think it's pretty poor that he isn't being looked after better as an indigenous player with what appears to be severe mental health issues associated with a traumatic childhood! But I do like that they gave him some goals to complete before he is able to play again, hopefully he can concentrate on doing those courses.

I have a feeling Adelaide will be looking to recruit him next season. Maybe he needs a change of cities. From what we know about what he is being accused of, it is pretty terrible and inexcusable, but there will be players playing the game right now that have done worse. I think he can come back from it bigger and most importantly a better person.
Tarryn Thomas is a 23 year old adult who needs to learn to look after himself, TBH. No sympathy. The AFL system is insanely coddling compared to any other workplace (especially for highly touted/talented players like Thomas). He would have opportunities to speak to the best psychologists/psychiatrists and doctors in Australia (they literally hire club doctors/psychologists, and clubs aren’t shy about paying for outside expertise, either - and they’re very forward about it - at no expense to the player themselves).

You can lead a horse to water; you can’t drink for it.

The AFL system is insanely coddling compared to any other workplace (especially for highly touted/talented players like Thomas).

Not defending Thomas at all, but this is absolutely not true IMO, not even close.

The vast majority of workplaces don't have anywhere near the scrutiny that comes with being an AFL footballer.

Not defending Thomas at all, but this is absolutely not true IMO, not even close.

The vast majority of workplaces don't have anywhere near the scrutiny that comes with being an AFL footballer.
It’s amazing that people are on a website that scrutinisers/abusers young footballers, think it’s comparable to a normal job.

The guy who wants to base his opinions on actual facts?

Your Club has done the right thing for at least the past 12 months on the Thomas issue.

The vast majority of BF nmfc posters can also hold their heads high. You are in a tiny minority who cannot.

Has it been established as fact what he actually did?

I get people wanting to pile on him and judge him for what they imagine or have 'heard' he has done.

For those of us who prefer to base our assessment on actual evidence, what are the facts of the case?

As for Tarryn himself, he's only 23, that's still a kid to me, I hope he picks himself up and overcomes this.

He obviously made some mistakes for things to have ended up here, but he is still young enough to learn from them.

Maybe in a few years we will see him playing professional football and living a good life off the field.

There are such things as redemption arcs and even if it is for another club, I hope a good career is still ahead of him.

There are plenty of people out there who have thrown golden opportunities away, in all walks of life.

Tarryn could go on to learn and grow and make positive changes to his life and become a better person.

If he does this, it could be an example for other people who have messed up to look to, to see there's always hope.

23 years old is not a kid.

The bloke has had enough chances, and he would not have gotten 18 games and booted from the club for nothing. We dont need to know the situation nor the details. DV is a huge problem in this country, and no one has time for Tarryn's bullshit any longer.

The number of chances he has had is absurd. If i only did a single act Tarryn has done in his time with North, at my job, i would have been sacked immediately.

I certainly hope he gets his life together but that is his responsibility. It's not Norths or the AFL's.

Last edited:
Maybe he has not been found guilty yet !!
court case could take 2 years and his career would be already over by that time and he misses out on the last 2 years
if not guilty that would be unfair dont you think ?

It's nothing to do with it actually.

There's nothing to prevent the AFL integrity unit conducting an independent investigation into Picketts actions and behavior on that night and de-registering him immediately, except for the fact it would interfere with a matter before the courts, so they take the correct option.

Thomas deserved what he got, however it does raise the stark difference between the two scenarios.

Pickett's is the much more serious crime (Thomas actions aren't even a crime as they haven't been reported to the police) and Pickett may face jail time, but remains playing and unaffected to some degree.

The interesting scenario in all of this, is if the victim in Thomas' case reported him to Police and went before the courts again, he'd still be on an AFL list and likely playing AFL games this year under the same consideration given the Pickett, as the AFL wouldn't be able to make a finding for the same reason they can't with Pickett.

It's nothing to do with it actually.

There's nothing to prevent the AFL integrity unit conducting an independent investigation into Picketts actions and behavior on that night and de-registering him immediately, except for the fact it would interfere with a matter before the courts, so they take thecorrect option.

Thomas deserved what he got, however it does raise the stark difference between the two scenarios.

Pickett's is the much more serious crime (Thomas actions aren't even a crime as they haven't been reported to the police) and Pickett may face jail time, but remains playing and unaffected to some degree.

The interesting scenario in all of this, is if the victim in Thomas' case reported him to Police and went before the courts again, he'd still be on an AFL list and likely playing AFL games this year under the same consideration given the Pickett.

Without undermining the seriousness of the allegations against Pickett, Thomas has had so many chances it isn't funny.

You dont need to be charged with a formal crime for the AFL to ban you, or your Club to dump you. There are clauses in their contracts that allow this. The fact Tarryn isn't taking this to court to fight it, clearly shows where there's smoke, there's fire.

Sometimes the coddled life of an AFL player is a bad thing, Taryn needs a good dose of the real world to sort himself out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back