Sando sacked - confirmed **** crows only ****

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caro is generally fine. She has her mini vendettas and gets things wrong but overall is pretty well founded.

Pretty sure Caro's problem is that Roo walking back into the club and making sweeping changes that, by all appearances, are being solely driven by him is reminiscent of the old boy networks she rails against.

If we had brought in a well credentialed external auditor or a non-AFC but still football informed, quality management person to be our inquisitor I don't think she would care so much.

What happened? I missed this topic...

You're alive?

Alive and well mate :)

Short version - met a Polish girl in Milan in April when I was over there on a work trip. Kept in touch a little, she half jokingly invited me to her sisters wedding; I flippantly said I'd go, few days later she said if I was serious, she'd love me to come...

So I decided to throw caution to the wind for a change, and I went :)

Spent the last 18 days in Poland, traveling around with her; had the most amazing time.

Short version - met a Polish girl in Milan in April when I was over there on a work trip. Kept in touch a little, she half jokingly invited me to her sisters wedding; I flippantly said I'd go, few days later she said if I was serious, she'd love me to come...

Spent the last 18 days in Poland, traveling around with her; had the most amazing time.

Get in there son ;)

Poor guy.. she got any friends/sista/mum?

my take is roo knew sando wasn't A grade before roo even took the job. I mean hell, I knew it, im sure Roo would've. Id trust his eye even from outside the club, certainly more than caros! A few unfavourable end of season reviews from players and staff, and lets face it, a WOEFUL end to the season - results wise, media wise, clutch game wise and selection wise, was all that was needed for roo to take action and start moving things in the direction that he thinks is gonna bring some glory back to this club. Weve all said it, Sando was a nice guy, but he was mediocre.
The Melbourne media are stunned because in truth they see us as a mediocre club, that's why they cant understand the decision. they're like 'what are they doing?!? they might've made the 8 next year?!'
they think we should be happy with that. they think we should be over the moon with an ok coach. Scraping into the 8. Maybe a premiership or two once every 20 years.

well * that. The roovolution is here. get onboard or get the * out the way.

my take is roo knew sando wasn't A grade before roo even took the job. I mean hell, I knew it, im sure Roo would've. Id trust his eye even from outside the club, certainly more than caros! A few unfavourable end of season reviews from players and staff, and lets face it, a WOEFUL end to the season - results wise, media wise, clutch game wise and selection wise, was all that was needed for roo to take action and start moving things in the direction that he thinks is gonna bring some glory back to this club. Weve all said it, Sando was a nice guy, but he was mediocre.
The Melbourne media are stunned because in truth they see us as a mediocre club, that's why they cant understand the decision. they're like 'what are they doing?!? they might've made the 8 next year?!'
they think we should be happy with that. they think we should be over the moon with an ok coach. Scraping into the 8. Maybe a premiership or two once every 20 years.

well **** that. The roovolution is here. get onboard or get the **** out the way.

The fact Sandi continuously had to call roo for advice would have made roo lose faith in him.

Kingy930 went to a whole new level.

Long time no talk mate :)

Completely unrelated but seeing as this thread has turned into a chat room:

How the HELL can't the Swans get more people to a preliminary final than we get to a mid-season Sunday arvo game?!
Prelim tickets are expensive, saving their money for the trip to Melbourne the week after

Interesting comments by Roo on yesterday (Friday) mornings MMM with dittmar

[clip of sand]"yeah i really fell in love with the playing group"

Roo "theres obviously a difference of opinion between where sando thinks he is and where reality is with the players so thats where theres a problem"

Dittmar "so youre saying he didnt have a great relationship with the players?"

Roo "well i dont think he did from what I know"

Dittmar "so hes just said his phones running hot [with players calling him] fell in love with the playing group"

Roo "well he mightve fallen in love with the playing group, but I dont know how..."

Dittmar "takes two to tango"

Roo "I think so"

This exchange takes place around the 17m55s mark

as mattymac said, its good listening from about the 15 minute mark, thanks to spexau for the link.

http://www.triplem.com.au/adelaide/shows/roo-ditts-breakfast/podcast/

Interesting comments by Roo on yesterday (Friday) mornings MMM with dittmar

[clip of sand]"yeah i really fell in love with the playing group"

Roo "theres obviously a difference of opinion between where sando thinks he is and where reality is with the players so thats where theres a problem"

Dittmar "so youre saying he didnt have a great relationship with the players?"

Roo "well i dont think he did from what I know"

Dittmar "so hes just said his phones running hot [with players calling him] fell in love with the playing group"

Roo "well he mightve fallen in love with the playing group, but I dont know how..."

Dittmar "takes two to tango"

Roo "I think so"

This exchange takes place around the 17m55s mark

as mattymac said, its good listening from about the 15 minute mark, thanks to spexau for the link.

http://www.triplem.com.au/adelaide/shows/roo-ditts-breakfast/podcast/

Has to be tough for both Roo and Ditts... We are definitely talking to Clarko. Whether he comes is another thing completely.

It's tough for Sando because there have been several extenuating circumstances for the club's inconsistent form over the past 2 seasons,

tl;dr: Sando brough about his own demise by failing at the things that were in his control

The bolded bit really irks me in this Sando debate, because while its true that he did have some things working against him, we came out of the last 2 preseasons poorly prepared, the players looked lost on field leading to turnovers, decision making under pressure and skill were terrible. IMO not making the 8 wasnt why he was sacked, Roo and Chapman have commented publicly that it was about his communication issues rather than his win loss ratio.

2013 we put too much emphasis on being big and strong, not enough on fitness and we got run over again and again, 2014 was a little better, but we still got beaten consistently in red time and last quarters, losing 7 games by under 2 goals. 7!

The players looking lost IMO relates to either a bad game plan, or a game plan that was poorly communicated and drilled, and based on comments in the media Id say it was his inability to communicate with the players that meant his game plan wasnt being implemented on field, leading to players running about aimlessly.

As for the decision making under pressure and skills, this comes down to the coaches, lead by the head coach creating drills and excercises for players to get their skills honed and to know where they should look for a team mate to pass to.

Yes its not his fault that he missed out on a wingard and a boak and whatever he would have got for tippett. its not his fault that walker hurt his knee (though I would say its his fault that he didnt adjust the game plan in 2013 from 'bomb it in to tippett and walker, oh wait we lost tippett, bomb it in to walker then even though hes got 2 defenders on him, oh wait we lost walker? bomb it in to jenkins and...ummm...just bomb it in'). its not his fault that Bailey got cancer and passed away. its probably not even his fault that he was underfunded in the footy department (though i would say another coach might have demanded better resources) but despite all that, its the things in his control that lead to us playing like dog s**t most of the year, the yo-yo performances, the apathy amongst the players that lead to his removal.

edit: I even forgot to mention selections, matchups and gameday tactical changes but this post is too long already so ill leave it.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sanderson's relationship with the younger players was definitely a massive problem.

I've heard from a few different people over the last few days that those boys had little to no contact with him, and that he didn't show much interest in their development as footballers in terms of reviewing their performances, advising them on areas they could improve etc. They really didn't like him but in the interests of professionalism they put their heads down and continued working. It seems that a lot of them felt that they weren't learning anything from him and that he just wasn't the right man for the job.

This all came out in the review, and the general feeling is that while it wasn't the only reason for his sacking it was definitely one of the factors the board would have considered when making their decision.

It's tough for Sando because there have been several extenuating circumstances for the club's inconsistent form over the past 2 seasons, but the board have obviously decided that regardless of those factors, he just wasn't up to the job. Time will tell whether that was the right decision or not but I think it's pretty clear that relative to their talent, this group of players has massively underperformed in the last 2 seasons, and that responsibility ultimately falls on the senior coach.
Now that's summing things up! I just couldn't put it into words. Nice guy, just couldn't coach for s**t on game day.

The football department cap is a 'soft cap' - the club can spend over it, but it just means that they'll then have to start paying substantial tax as part of the equalisation fund...

I'm comfortable with that arrangement

Ok so similar to the NBA tax? Where it doesnt mean sh** if you have a millionaire owner.. Which in some respects we do with our stable finance

The fact Sandi continuously had to call roo for advice would have made roo lose faith in him.
Roo gets off the phone to Sando 6 months ago.
"Hey Sarah, I'm getting on that Board, and I'm gonna sort my club out! This peanut doesn't know wtf he's doing!"

Good stuff kingy. Live it large brother.

The two stats that are glaring for me - and that the media haven't reported because they are too obsessed with his 57% winning percentage.

1. 2-12 vs top 4 teams.

2 - here is our ladder position for each quarter in 2014.

1st quarter - 14th
2nd quarter - 1st
3rd quarter - 5th
4th quarter - 7th

This clearly shows that we were not switched on to start the game or had the wrong matchups / gamplan. This is 100% a reflection on the head coach.

In all seriousness happy for u mate.

Well thats the sh!t that life is about !! Great lesson ... live for today.

Good Stuff King.

The reality is Penberthy is trying to sell his column and most importantly, like Rucci, sell newspapers. He is unfortunately AFC's version of Rucci. You just have to take his 3 word newscycle sloganism with a grain of salt because that's what its worth.

I think the media have a lot to apologise to the AFC and Roo for. The Media have absolutely gone to town on the AFC and Roo using rumours created on footy blogs and disgruntled fans to smash the club at every turn in the guise of fact and truth. I don't know how many times Roo and Chapman have to say it was a brutal review that lead to the sacking and that it wasn't just one group or one person in the AFC that influenced the decision. I don't know what the media are trying to gain other than to create sensational headlines. They have by far crossed the line in the critique of the AFC over this. If I was Chapman I would be on the phone to the editor of The Advertiser and tell them unless they change their act they will lose all access to our players and no question will be answered in press conferences from any advertiser employee. They have been truly pathetic over this.

I'd actually rather they report it as they see it. Even if it is off the mark. The sanitised 'ambassador' rubbish has done more harm than good. I'd rather we have the media breathing down our necks waiting for a slip up. We'll be a better club with a bit of neutral or anti press for a change. Take caro's headline about us having 'been a good club', as if we somehow were, but aren't now. We were a s**t club, doing nothing that upset anybody at all. What did that approach put in the trophy cabinet. Trigg kept his job ffs, but no one cared enough about us to really take us to task. Ironically, it was Triggs newest fanboy, Caro, who was the only media identity that periodically gave a s**t and made a negative comment. Eff them all, yeh we're nasty, we sack people, but not before we've tried to knock some sense into them with our latest premiership cup.

Caro scathing of Roo on 3AW
…and then came out with all the reasons the crows hadn't performed, with huge injury list at the fore….while at the time, you victorian muppetts, injuries were no excuse…but now they are? GTFO, you can't have it both ways. Ignoramuses!

So does anyone know if Sando not talking to some players very often occurred three years ago? Or has it slowly crept in this year?

I would say this has developed over time given the results we generated in 2012 compared to today.

I can see how some players would feel alienated if Sando was predominantly concerned about eh "Gang of 5".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back