Rumour Betting Investigation on 2 fremantle games

Remove this Banner Ad

Could this be like when that Brissy player (can't remember the name) defender told a few of his mates he was going to play up forward in a game vs the Hawks in tassie and he kicked the first goal. His price went from $40s into $10s, and they had to suspend betting ?
That was Gold Coast

big story

it will have to be one of the close games
the Saints game too obvious
every Freo player played below par that day.

You are correct. Saints got absolutely smashed by an Adelaide team who apparently hated their coach in Lennys last game.

While I was grateful for the Saints winning one more game for the season, we were 75 points up at one stage.

It was mighty mighty suss. Watching the Saints, we had been deplorable leading up to that game. After that game we went back to deplorable.

How do we beat a top four team by 10 goals?? Well the Saints were at $14.00 at the beginning of the game. Saints did play well but there was NO defensive pressure.

When have you ever heard that about a Ross Lyon coached team?
this is a delicious conspiracy on the surface, but i'm not sure it really makes much sense.
that game cost us a genuine spot in the top 2, and just about knocked us out of the 4.
good luck convincing a team of 22 blokes to lay down and give up on avenging a GF loss for a bit of coin split 22 ways

the investigation will either be about umpiring (at our request, AFL doing due diligence but will come to nothing) or more likely a suss betting plunge relating to a specific team selection/late replacement issue. maybe even a leak from an individual player or staff member about the flu going around the club before that Saints game.

big story

it will have to be one of the close games
the Saints game too obvious
every Freo player played below par that day.

True if it's an internal players/staff member that is the target, but not if the investigation is coming from pressure from the agencies themselves. In which case the Saint's game is highly likely.

Investigations are often started when the agencies themselves flag unusual betting activity/results. The odds for that game where off the charts, it wouldn't have taken much for a few healthy bets to turn into massive payouts - betting agencies don't like that, it would have been flagged and brought to the AFL's attention I'm sure. That combined with strong rumours at a later date indicating that the Dockers had quite a few players with flu - if somebody had that information before-hand, either by licit or illicit means, that's the sort of situation that gets investigated.

Yeah, we've been discussing this on our board, trying to work out what it could be.

Putting it down to a betting scandal so far.

Really doubt we threw the game against that Saints though,

A. If we won we would've set up our top 2 finish
B. Saints played ridiculously good that day and would've taken it to most teams

Would be great if they looked at the umpiring in the Geelong and Carlton games. Shocking free kick disparities. Doubt the AFL would investigate themselves though :drunk:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've seen the Rising Star mentioned. How do you have betting corruption in the Rising Star?
Would have to be the voting panel I guess.

It'll be interesting to find out what is going on. I'd be surprised if it were umpiring as some have mentioned. I'm guessing it'll be players being rested or sick and the info being fed somewhere or something.

It may not be this year. Remember the 'Darkest Day In Australian Sport'? It wasn't only drugs - there was also match-fixing (or spot-fixing - betting scams).

Maybe they've had something under wraps for a while, but the Essendon challenge to the legality of the investigative process spooked the AFL. Now they are probably more confident about how they go about things.

I'm guessing it has something to do with betting plunges on Rising Star nominations in games against Freo - ie the suggestion that the Dockers were going to let X player off the leash.

I doubt there'll be anything in it though.

Jarman Impey in R8 v Port was the only player to win a Rising Star nomination against Freo, while Matt Taberner won a nomination for the Dockers in R22 v Brisbane.

Why would we throw that game? That game would have been the difference between a top two finish and a home qualifying final and likely another grand final. Waste of time, nothing to it. Saints did it for Lenny.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back