chooke

All Australian
Sep 6, 2004
perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies
This may already be known, but lately I've noticed that Garry Lyon has a personal grudge against Port Adelaide.

Probably the best known is where a couple years ago he made a public comment about parents being concerned about their sons being drafted by Port - a bit rich coming from a Melbourne club identity.

More regularly, whether it is on the footy show or that other channel 9 football show, he made subtle negative digs throughout the year. From nearly always tipping against them to comments - such as pre the previous match against Freo, comments like "of course they have no chance" etc etc. When other panellists make positive observations he often just nods his head, says nothing and changes the subject.

The only positive thing I've ever heard him say was his recent piece on Wines. Even that could be put down to his club passing on him.

Take it as a badge of honour.

• GARRY Lyon could not resist the symbolism of Collingwood's woes last night as he heralded the rebirth of his struggling club.
Lyon addressed 170 supporters at a "150 Foundation Heroes" dinner, telling them that they were involved in the most important night in the Melbourne Football Club's history.
"The symbolism of today shouldn't be lost on anyone," Lyon said.
"I think you will enjoy the fact that whilst tonight is the rebirth of this great footy club, our greatest rival is in disarray.
"The Collingwood footy club is going down the plughole as the Melbourne footy club re-establishes itself as a power."

That above quote was made in 2008. Since then Collingwood have won a flag, had 4 top 4 finishes and participated in 6 finals series out of 7. Melbourne have won 2 spoons, had 5 bottom 4 finishes and 0 finals. That's an example of how good Lyon's judgement is.

hqdefault.jpg

Thought Lyon's bias was common knowledge.

Obviously not.
Obviously not... I don't follow off-field stuff that closely. I suppose my question is why? Did the club or some of our players do or say something to offend him?
That play on Collingwood's 2008 woes truly lacks class.

And then he said about Richmond....

Aaah, I can't be stuffed. Fact is, he's a Demons fan. Fair enough. Everyone's a footy fan.

It's just with Lyon, he lets his bias against every club that isn't Melbourne show through too much for someone who wants to be taken seriously. If you want to be the one-eyed fan, play the Mick Molloy or Bill Brownless role. (Of course, you have to be slightly humorous for that, and I think Lyon has a major issue in that area as well).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suppose my question is why? Did the club or some of our players do or say something to offend him?
If I had to take a guess, I'd say that it's because Port and Melbourne were in similar situations a few years ago. Port managed to climb their way out of the hole whereas Melbourne are still struggling. I suppose he'd be fairly envious of that. Like I said, purely speculation.

No insecurity on my part, just something that dawned on me the other day. While of course he is a Demon fan he is also supposed to be a professional commentator and football writer. Just sayin...

This may already be known, but lately I've noticed that Garry Lyon has a personal grudge against Port Adelaide.

The only positive thing I've ever heard him say was his recent piece on Wines. Even that could be put down to his club passing on him.
Obviously not... I don't follow off-field stuff that closely. I suppose my question is why? Did the club or some of our players do or say something to offend him?
That play on Collingwood's 2008 woes truly lacks class.

Pffft yes there is clearly only room for one loser club in the league who deserves ALL the picks. But it would seem with Port rising to the very top the natural order has yet again restored itself and the one loser club will get the attention it "deserves". (FYI St Kilda don't count and have and will always be shunned/disregard by the AFL)

It bothers me that he is happy to herald the re-birth of the Dees or choose a new awesome coach, but avoids any real responsibility, because that might mean he gets criticised and will have to live with a pained look on his face.

He really is just a Bigfooty poster that played AFL and so is in the media, that's all.

If the parents of Port draftees were concerned about their sons going to Port pre-Hinkley, friggin' ISIL/ISIS would be concerned about young men being drafted to Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back