2nds VFL Grand Final: Footscray vs Box Hill Hawks, 21st of September

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is an unfair advantage if both teams no longer have an AFL team active yet one can chose from their full list whilst the other is restricted to qualified players only. There is no reason in allowing Sewell, McEvoy, Schoenmakers, Rioli (I know he won't play, but he's allowed) to play if the AFL team are eliminated. Again, it's a moot point if Hawthorn win their game.

Their full list minus their best 22 players.

Don't see the big deal personally, they qualification rule is only put in so AFL teams that aren't in the finals can't just play their best players. Whether Hawthorn win or lose Saturday they are not deliberately strengthening their VFL team at the expense of their AFL team (although that's not really your point).

We've got a good enough team to win regardless of what Box Hill team is sent out against us. Looking forward to Sunday.

Rules are pesky, aren't they. Let's just hope the AwFL in future will change the rules at the last minute to help us out. Hmmm..... maybe don't bother hoping for that.

You have to draw a line somewhere about our season being alive. They've made the cut-off mid week between matches - as they should
It would be farcical for the pre-match planning of an VFL Grand Final, if the team selection depended on a result from less than 24hrs the day before.
Imagine if we rolled a dice tomorrow night and if it came up an odd number, we'd just draw a line through 3 of your best players.

The Hawks AFL season is alive this weekend and so is their VFL season and they've picked 2 teams.
Pretty simple, really. Why try to split hairs?
I'm not trying to split hairs, I just think it's a very valid point and one which you might agree with if the shoe were on the other foot, as the rule has been changed from one year to the next. It's not a criticism against the Hawks, it's a criticism against the rule makers. Anyway, we're going round in circles, what's done is done.

As for the game, I think regardless of these players we should be good enough to have them covered. We have a lot of avenues to goal with this side and if Jong steps up again in the midfield we are going to be very hard to beat.

Before the teams were announced, Footscray were favourites at Sportsbet, 1.80 to 2.00. When Rioli et al were named the numbers got reversed.

If Port beat Hawthorn, would that be the first time the favouritism of a footy game changed based on a result from a different league? :S

Great post, mate.

The commentary of Hawthorn and Box Hill this September has been absurd. The narks and whingers tried to stitch up Hawthorn last week over McEvoy because of a flaw in the rules. Of course, he should've played. A victory for common sense. The Hawks are trying to win an AFL Grand Final, manage their finals squad of 25/26 players, whilst also trying to win the VFL Grand Final. People have been carrying on as though we've been trying to cheat the system. We haven't played any 1st team players in our 2nd team.

McEvoy, Sewell (and Rioli this weekend) are all legitimate reserves players at this point in time, hoping like hell the Hawks can beat Port and hoping like hell they can play in another (bigger) game next weekend.

I saw the Hawthorn reserves lose a few September curtain-raisers in the 80's against teams whose seniors didn't make the Top 5 and they'd load up their reserves team with about 12-13 of their stars. That was unfair. This is a completely different kettle of fish with our 1sts and 2nds still in the hunt.

It shits me that SEN idiots, Andy Maher and KB are such sticklers for the rules instead of questioning whether the flawed rule needs tweaking and applauding the common sense shown by the VFL admin.

Another good thing is that Rioli's presence will probably double or triple the audience for this Sunday's game… IF we win on Saturday…. and IF he plays :)

A 'common sense' rule. Give me a spell. Fact is VFL players should have to play a certain number of VFL games in a season to qualify for any match, finals or otherwise. It's a joke.

I wouldn't mind Griffen, Bontempelli, Liberatore, Stringer on Sunday, but it won't happen. It's a crap rule and you know it.

Do you think anybody on this board gives a rat's tossbag about Hawthorn Reserves flags in the 80s? Your club has won 11 flags in the past 52 years and is on the way to a 12th, so excuse me if I don't reach for the tissues.

My club and our club has won a grand total of one and that was 60 freakin years ago. This is our time.

Go Port and go Footscray - smash 'em.

Great post, mate.

The commentary of Hawthorn and Box Hill this September has been absurd. The narks and whingers tried to stitch up Hawthorn last week over McEvoy because of a flaw in the rules. Of course, he should've played. A victory for common sense. The Hawks are trying to win an AFL Grand Final, manage their finals squad of 25/26 players, whilst also trying to win the VFL Grand Final. People have been carrying on as though we've been trying to cheat the system. We haven't played any 1st team players in our 2nd team.

McEvoy, Sewell (and Rioli this weekend) are all legitimate reserves players at this point in time, hoping like hell the Hawks can beat Port and hoping like hell they can play in another (bigger) game next weekend.

I saw the Hawthorn reserves lose a few September curtain-raisers in the 80's against teams whose seniors didn't make the Top 5 and they'd load up their reserves team with about 12-13 of their stars. That was unfair. This is a completely different kettle of fish with our 1sts and 2nds still in the hunt.

It shits me that SEN idiots, Andy Maher and KB are such sticklers for the rules instead of questioning whether the flawed rule needs tweaking and applauding the common sense shown by the VFL admin.

Another good thing is that Rioli's presence will probably double or triple the audience for this Sunday's game… IF we win on Saturday…. and IF he plays :)

Yeah common sense I think. But tell me, if the Hawks lose the prelim are you saying that those players can't play or just that the Hawks wouldn't bother? I hear conflicting answers to this.

Guys I think we need to
Saw an article in The Age stating that Rioli will effectively only play 60-70 minutes so less than 3 quarters really, lets run them into the ground

Yep....heard that on the radio today. Of course he could tear us a new one in that time, but I reckon it's a compromise that is all about their AFL team, and fair enough. We unfortunately have no such issues, but I reckon could work in a favor.

Guys I think we need to

Yep....heard that on the radio today. Of course he could tear us a new one in that time, but I reckon it's a compromise that is all about their AFL team, and fair enough. We unfortunately have no such issues, but I reckon could work in a favor.

His opponent to work him up the ground and test out those hamstrings :)

All this rubbish about Rioli on BF, who cares, the Hawks are a able to play who they like.
I believe Footscray will win easily.
The best thing some on here can do is barrack for Port Adelaide, if they win, Rioli won't play.
Then all this bullshit can stop, who cares.
GO DOGGIES.
Thank heavens for some common sense.
If you are not in the firsts and you are fit enough to play, you are in the seconds. Couldn't be more simple.
The rules are the same in every comp all round the country.

Great post, mate.

Williamstown were trying to win a VFL Grand Final.... Makes no sense to me?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thank heavens for some common sense.
If you are not in the firsts and you are fit enough to play, you are in the seconds. Couldn't be more simple.
The rules are the same in every comp all round the country.

Spot on.

I cannot believe the crap we post about who is entitled to play for Box Hill. If the roles were reversed we would argue that our players need game time to perhaps play in a grand final.

Move on we play whoever the opposition is and focus on what we can control, how we play.

Incidentally, don't let my resigned attitude fool you; I'll still be booing the s**t out of Cyril if he does something good (big if :p).

And again, I would expect nothing less from the Hawks fans if the roles were reversed. That's what makes footy so great, it unites people in their contempt for complete strangers. :thumbsu:

"AFL Victoria has revised the rules again this season in that, as selected, Cyril Rioli, Ben McEvoy, Ryan Schoenmakers and Brad Sewell are still eligible to play in the VFL grand final even if its AFL side loses on the same weekend." "Previously, when an AFL team bows out on the same weekend, all AFL-listed players who don't qualify would not be eligible to play."
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...are-flying-20140920-10jofw.html#ixzz3Dpmf5Nfu

"AFL Victoria has revised the rules again this season in that, as selected, Cyril Rioli, Ben McEvoy, Ryan Schoenmakers and Brad Sewell are still eligible to play in the VFL grand final even if its AFL side loses on the same weekend." "Previously, when an AFL team bows out on the same weekend, all AFL-listed players who don't qualify would not be eligible to play."
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...are-flying-20140920-10jofw.html#ixzz3Dpmf5Nfu
did I hear someone say that the ceo of afl victoria is a hawthorn person

I've had enough of the moaning. Let's just smash 'em.

The more Hawthorn regulars in the Box Hill side the greater the sense of achievement we'll have, and the greater the level of belief our players will have in 2015.
If we do happen to get beaten ... well done, Box Hill.

Go 'Scray!!

Woohoo!! Surely we can't lose this one! :p

Edit: They deleted the tweet, it said Footscray VFL v Footscray VFL playing tomorrow for the premiership

10616610_558768320895059_8979702826569811317_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back