Autopsy Hawks vs Port featuring the Great Escape

Remove this Banner Ad

Bad kicking is bad football. Kicking 3.9.27 in the first quarter !
How many teams have 12 shots at goal in a quarter (and a Final at that) ?

Port were good but we were better on the night, simple.

Can't help but think tough prelims are better than soft prelims. Guess we will find out next week.

Will be interesting to see how we manage the boys tomorrow ( Sewell, Rioli, Shoey, McEvoy )

Note : bad umpiring is bad football.....just saying :)

SHAKESPEARE I had a very strange moment late in the game tonight when my mind turned to the (at that point) vulnerability of your account's life. I'm glad you pulled through, comrade.
Hahaha that's awesome ;)

I'll say that I was ready to log it off. I wanted to say goodbye but it was all too hard.

I'm tempted to do it again this week ;)

Try to fault Taylor Duryea's game. I dare you.

Match committee completely vindicated in selecting Suckling IMO. Midfield and general team looked slow at times. Older guys looked rigid not overly mobile. If we had Sewell as well I think we would have lost that.

I also don't think we can carry Spangher into a Grand Final. It might be borderline as to who's a better defender (even though Schoe shades him in my opinion) but Spangher is a hopeless forward. For every ball he retained through his renowned 'effort' we must have lost 5 balls due to his lack of footballing ability. I know he's a depth player but he's just poor.

Everyone talking about the umpiring needs to get a grip..

Not sure what Clarko was thinking playing Rough up the ground and Spang deep forward in the 4th... And why we stopped attacking with 10 mins to go I will never understand. We only needed to kick 2 more to close out the game and we decided with 10 minutes to go to slow play it and start chipping it around. Once Port had momentum they were always going to be hard to stop.

Play anything like that next week and the COLA's will destroy us.

Nothing awe-inspiring about that win, that's for sure. The week off blunted our skills. Just hope Lewis can mend in time. If not, then Sewell's going to have to play a blinder if we're to have any chance against Sydney.
I don't think either teams played at their best, but we can all admit it was a much better final than the roos and swans. Much more exciting anyway.

Everyone talking about the umpiring needs to get a grip..

Not sure what Clarko was thinking playing Rough up the ground and Spang deep forward in the 4th... And why we stopped attacking with 10 mins to go I will never understand. We only needed to kick 2 more to close out the game and we decided with 10 minutes to go to slow play it and start chipping it around. Once Port had momentum they were always going to be hard to stop.

Play anything like that next week and the COLA's will destroy us.
Spang didn't set the would on fire today but would be more suited to playing Sydney in terms of match ups compared to Port. I'm tipping he stays.

This. Sitting on the second level in the Southern Stand, I was able to observe better than most weeks at the game. Sam Mitchell suffered from slow decision making today. I think the fact that Gunston was so well held and Breust was quite up forward didn't help his cause. Port made us look slow and unsure many times and it was frustrating to watch.
I wouldn't have characterized it as slow decision making but rather an extra element of caution which he doesn't always play with. Mostly likely because he knew bombing the ball forward would play right into Port's hands and invite a lighting-fast counterattack.

Making better decisions than the opposition was crucial, its the reason we're into another grand final.

Completely surprised to come onto BigFooty tonight and find the talk about us being favoured by the umpires! Not sure what game these people were watching, perhaps things weren't visible on TV but being there at the game it was obvious that the umpires helped Port get back into. Momentum killing and swinging decisions just like before 3 quarter time in last years prelim.

Just glad to have got away with the win and am looking forward to seeing just how much 2012 still burns these players...

When you want to see a team lose so badly, it appears you will see what you want to see to vindicate why it didn't happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Found this one, the last 8 seconds of the game and Lake worth every cent, Angus Wantfrees would have goaled otherwise.

View attachment 81319

Lots of complaints that Lake wasn't pinged for ball after the Ebert one a few seconds earlier. This pic suggests he was unlucky not to get a free for holding the arm.

Congratulations to the Hawks: good teams know how to win big games, and your boys managed to find a way to get over the line tonight. Hopefully our two teams can create a bit of a finals rivalry over the next few years: I'm sure there'll be many more thrillers like tonight's game. All the best next week - you'll go in as underdogs, but anything can happen in grand finals.

Lots of complaints that Lake wasn't pinged for ball after the Ebert one a few seconds earlier. This pic suggests he was unlucky not to get a free for holding the arm.

Whats even more blaring obvious is as if a defender would be trying to take one handed marks inside the last minute when you are down by less than a goal.

Had he spilled the mark, Wantfrees would have kicked the goal and we all would be having a very different discussion.

I thought Burgoyne did his old team a solid today.

The Port fans should stop booing him now, that and it has been 5 years now.

He feels like such a Hawthorn person now I literally forget most of the time that he played for Port. Happened again tonight when the Port fans booed him, despite many mentions of it during the week in the media etc., and it took me a while to work out why it was happening :oops: Five years does seem a long time but I will probably still be booing Buddy in five years (if he's still playing ;) )

Hawthorn, why do you hate my heart? Good lord I'm a wreck.

Imagine if next week is under a goal again! :eek:

heart.gif

Hahaha that's awesome ;)

I'll say that I was ready to log it off. I wanted to say goodbye but it was all too hard.

I'm tempted to do it again this week ;)
I'd rather we see pessimistic SHAKESPEARE this week please

Thanks to all the Hawks fans dropping by the Port board with kind words.

Was a truly great prelim played between two great clubs with the respect and sportsmanship that is lost on some other clubs in this age.

All the best.

Well said. Best of luck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back