Autopsy Hawks vs Port featuring the Great Escape

Remove this Banner Ad

I have a confession to make

I couldn't watch the final 3 minutes, I was so nervous!
I could see my remote flying through the tv screen if Port had of hit the lead, so I walked outside with my phone and nervously waited 3 minutes before checking the score!
When it said "full time" I raced back inside to the tv, with my wife pissing herself laughing at me
I felt stupid, it's only a game she said, but I just couldn't handle yet another heart-stopping Prelim!

Please forgive me!

I could see my remote flying through the tv screen if Port had of hit the lead, so I walked outside with my phone and nervously waited 3 minutes before checking the score!
When it said "full time" I raced back inside to the tv, with my wife pissing herself laughing at me
I felt stupid, it's only a game she said, but I just couldn't handle yet another heart-stopping Prelim!

Please forgive me!

I did the same with about 2 minutes to go
Had friends texting me the clock run down - they were driving me nuts

Please forgive me!

Mine was going to be my beer at the TV but I soon thought better of it (just a game) & had a long swill.
I watched & glad I did.

By the way kudos to the Port Adelaide supporters on here who have stopped by in this thread and wished us well. Respect goes out to the Port players too who were very humble in defeat and I have nothing but respect and admiration for your team. Far more gracious/humble then the Geelong supporters who would've claimed that we ''pinched it'' or ''mission accomplished''.

Port supporters you should be proud of your team. They've come along way the past 24 months. A Premiership is not far away.

I had the wife on the phone at home counting the clock down for the last 1.06 secs....most of the people around me were listening to me repeat her...44, 43,...40...
When it got to lake she was saying 8,7,6,5 - and then the siren sounded...tv broadcast is obviously on a 2-3 sec delay...

Not sure which prelim final was most intense...this years or last..

Must say lucky to get away with it, Port were fantastic and can consider themselves to be unlucky not to be in the Grand Final but not taking too much away from Port I thought Hawthorn were down on their best a lot of players were below their best and there is heaps of room for improvement's which is a real positive.
I can see everyone in the media jumping on the $ydney bandwagon with the Hawks being the underdogs but that's how we like it, and once again prove all the credits wrong as the Hawks will win their 12th premiership.

One positive, we should be well rested for next week as we didn't bother playing for the last 10 minutes.

Reckon we starting playing for next week, whereas Port continued to play for their season. We were bloody lucky in a lot of ways, but hey, we're in a GF and a chance for redemption for 2012

I reckon we had at least 10 guys that were down on their normal output, so positives are we have blokes that will improve next week.

I have really enjoyed watching Port this year, if you don't follow the Crows, Port would be your second favourite team.
Their mid sized forwards really messed with the match ups for Lake/Gibbo and Spang (who gave very little forward), next week they will have clear match ups which will help with structure.

Gee we handle the week off badly, we will be better for the hit out I think.
Thank you to our Captain, what a leader, he may well play third man in next week against Franklin to give a chop out against the Swans main focal point, I know they have other great options but if we keep him to 2-3 goals we win.
Interesting times, for me McEvoy has to come in for Cegs as he has given very little in the finals.
If Cyril is good to go we need he, Punky and Poppy to create massive forward pressure, Nick Smith can only cover one.
Sewelly would be a chance to get picked for grunt in the middle.
Everyone loves Spang, but if Shoey performed like him the last two weeks there would be a lynch mob.
Having said all that I can't see us making more than two changes.

Please forgive me!
I did the same when it got to 4 points, but was checking my app constantly until the blessed "Full Time" came up. Somehow it's less horrifically stressful doing that than sitting still, watching the train wreck happen in front of you.

I wasn't in front of a tv though, I was there. :$:$:$

I can't apologise for it; I really just cannot cope. I'm just pleased to see this phenomenon isn't just restricted to me.

GO HAWKS!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One positive, we should be well rested for next week as we didn't bother playing for the last 10 minutes.

Reckon we starting playing for next week, whereas Port continued to play for their season. We were bloody lucky in a lot of ways, but hey, we're in a GF and a chance for redemption for 2012

I reckon we had at least 10 guys that were down on their normal output, so positives are we have blokes that will improve next week.
Agreed, and we didn't get going for the first 15-20 minutes either.

Our disposal in the first quarter was some of the worst I've seen. And I'm not talking about the ones when players were under pressure. A very nervous start.

We won't start favourites next week, which is fine by me.

Please forgive me!
Some people just don't understand the emotions we go through. My wife the same.

I kept watching - which for the ultimate pessimist is hard to endure. I let out a massive 'OH **** OFF HAWTHORN' when we let them get to within a kick. I had to keep watching though - it was car crash footy. Glad I prevailed, even gladder the Hawks prevailed.

And yes, kudos to the classy Port folk. Love watching them play - talented, quick, hard at it and they don't stop coming. Worthy opponents on the day.

Just watched a replay of the last qtr. For some reason I feel better now. Looking forward to next week.

I feel better today too. Port were the third best team all year, forget their overall ladder position. They were hungry, threw EVERYTHING at us, never stopped coming and we still won after only being in the game from the second quarter to midway through to the fourth. When we were on we were impressive and ruthless. There's no way the team leadership will let anyone not be engaged for the journey next week.

Was at the ground, haven't watched the last quarter yet but I thought the last quarter turning point - the catalyst for the Port comeback - was the simple fluffed pass from Cegs to Hilly in forward 50. From memory went between Hill's legs and they were away. Cegs should have hit Hilly on the chest. He would have been kicking to put us 35 points up. That would have broken Port I reckon.

Pretty bad luck to have to sub Lewy off; clearly Spang would have been the choice. Poor old Cegs though - he played that last quarter like he was desperate for Big Boy to replace him next week.

My intent is not to disrespect port because they were red hot yesterday and would of been worthy winners but did the hawks run out of steam as suggested (they certainly didn't look spent) or did they go too early into preservation mode and stopped when they got 30 points up. It was just so confusing and frustrating watching it happen - as someone else said it was like watching a car accident in slow motion

Was at the ground, haven't watched the last quarter yet but I thought the last quarter turning point - the catalyst for the Port comeback - was the simple fluffed pass from Cegs to Hilly in forward 50. From memory went between Hill's legs and they were away. Cegs should have hit Hilly on the chest. He would have been kicking to put us 35 points up. That would have broken Port I reckon..

You sir are spot on. We pissed and ****ed around with it for 10 mins in our fwd line and that disgusting Hill effort turned the game.

Should have ended it right there

Not going to lie i had tears streaming down my eyes with 2.40 left on the clock. When mitch had the ball at CHB and JB said on MMM that there was 40 seconds to go i loudly started a countdown clock. Pure jubilation right up there w/ last years PF. I think i hugged about 20 blokes and one of the blokes seriously hot mrs

My 2c worth.
Early on hodge caused havoc for us by delivering the ball to teamates' feet. But turned it ariund late in the 1st.
Spangher is nothing more than a mascot.
Wil langford is an absolute ball winner.
We were killed in contested marks largely due to spangher and ceglar's inability to hold them under physical duress.
Doc Nu-Goo is going to be so important in the future. Absolute laser kick and never says "die".
Roughead finally in a big game
We could't play much worse and we still won.
Lewis's injury definitely cost us some cool headedness.
We are in a gf and we will for the first time in a long time be the neutral favourite.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back